Microsoft Email

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by JG13.RtM.Gmac, Sep 19, 2003.

1. JG13.RtM.Gmac

JG13.RtM.Gmac Well-Known Member

Just had an Email claiming to come from Microsoft which looked 100% genuine full Gates [Windows] Graphics etc.

With it is an attached program which it tells you to run to update your windows against the lates virus / worms.

We beleive that this is a worm program to do just what it says it prevents.

I deleted it without opening it I suggest you do the same if you get it.

Gmac :deal:

www.ironfoot.co.uk
    "Think On"

Taken from the Clan McLellan Moto meaning

"Remember your obligations & Promises"

2. sebbo

sebbo Well-Known Member

Microsoft will NEVER send anyone an email with a patch. You shoudl've checked the attachment first, mate!

As a rule, NEVER open .exe files except when you know the person that sent it to you..... Even then, run it through a scanner first!

3. JG13.RtM.Gmac

That was the whole point I did not open the attachment
    it was suss as an email from MS.
    But if you were gullible it look like the real thing

4. ozemale6t9

ozemale6t9 Well-Known Member

Pre-checked my emails this morning with Mailwasher, and had 3 emails supposedly from Microsoft. All were shown to be from other sources, and I suspected them to be carrying dangerous payloads, so they were quickly despatched back to the source. Looks like they have discovered ppl don't open emails from 'familiar' names, so now thay are trying known companies. When will they give up.

(edit)
    Wow....5 more of these emails this afternoon. Spammers are really busy.

regards, Oz

Last edited: Sep 20, 2003
  5. ledada

ledada Well-Known Member

as long as hoaxing is successful, there is no need to give it up :)
    it's already in the news... seems to have been quite a good idea (from the dark-side's point of view)

anyway, the "company"-trick is as old as the "my baby needs an organic transplantation" as "norton-administrator told everyone in my friend's company to search for 'wsock32.dll' and delete the virus".
    has over the years only changed from mailserver-attack to virus-transport.
    as sebbo said, there are no such mass e-mails sent by big-companies/institutes or friends (<- even if they did)

gmac, what is "gullible"? :confused:

6. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    I got so much shit in my machine that I am not allowed to have, because I did not pay for it:
    If I get an email from Microsoft, I go into AutoShit mode.
    I got a fuckin' expensive OS and I didn't pay for it. And I won't pay for it, unless I am caught. And hopefully those fuckers got no interest in me becuase I am a total nobody. (note: not "Nobody," it is "nobody;" I don't even warrant a capital "N")
    I know a kid who got an email from some fuckin' lawyer, he had been downloading MP3s for a month. Him and his mommy are on The Dole. Welfare cheques, you know? They are POOR as little church-mice.
    He says to me, "Brad! Look at this!" and he sends me a copy of the thing. (later, he got a real, paper copy, mailed to him)
    He says, "What should I do?"
    And I said, "Aw, tell them to take a long hard suck on your arse!"

Well, the kid did that. You should have heard his mommy freaking out on me, "What the fuck were you doing telling MY SON to tell those Lawyers to take a long hard suck on his arse for? Who the fuck do you think you ARE?"

Anyway, he still hasn't stopped downloading music.
    He never got another letter from any lawyer.

(I thought he was being spoofed, bull-shitted. I thought someone was pulling his leg.....)

And if he ever gets another Email like that, I am keeping my mouth shut.

7. lepper

lepper Well-Known Member

I am using pine email program on Unix console and windows viruses are no danger to me:)

8. JG13.RtM.Gmac

Originaly I deleted the sus Email and attachment.

I run AVG virus shield it found nothing, but when I left my pc on over night in the morning it had found Sven7 worm in C:\ System Volume Information_restore etc etc. It would say run virus program, when run it says clear, I ran Pcillin House call as well, it say's clear.

Next morning again worm found de da de da etc.

The problem is that the restore folder on Win XP is a Super-Hiden Folder and when you activate "see hidden folders" it still comes up dimmed and says it is empty. Its a Lie you need to follow Microsoft Knowledge Bases instructions 309531 to allow you full access to this folder then you can scan it properly, and in my case delete the worm.

I am obviuosly am not telling you to do this, or accept any responsiblity if somthing go wrong, it just for informations sake :)

Gmac.

9. torsti

torsti Well-Known Member

care for attachmnents ending *.exe, *.vbs, *.pif, *.scr, *.bat, *.wsh, *.vb, *.vbs

All those Files are prefered to carry Viruses within, never use Preview - Function in Outlook (is like open a Mail) and last but first: Install Virusscanner (i prefer Norton Antivirus cause it include the Email-Scan)

10. sebbo

sebbo Well-Known Member

Those e-mails that are supposedly sent by M$ use a very old trick: the "Sent from"-spoof.

In an e-mail header there's a line that says: "sent-from". This line can be spoofed by a virus, but the original path of the e-mail is shown in the headers. What happens is that one person is infected. The virus tells Outlook to create a new e-mail, spoofs the "sent-from" header to "Microsoft Customer Support" and sends itself to everyone in your adress-book. Gullible I-D-ten-T's think "Wow! They got customer support after all!" and open the email's attachment. "Lather, rinse, repeat" until all I-D-ten-T's of the world are infected, can't use their computers anymore and go on a rampage, getting killed after which all clueful people install Linux since noone can come up with a good reason to use M$ any more.

So what can you do? Well, ALWAYS check the headers if you receive an .exe attachment!

11. mishen

mishen Well-Known Member

Today I've cleaned 8 PC from that F****G virus SwenA ....this thing is real shity .it spreads around by those M$ e-mails.......
    U cant remove it with any removing software because it changes a reg key and u cant run such things as EXE,BAT,COM,PIF.........I found a VB script that restores those setings and after that everything was ok....

Last edited: Sep 23, 2003