Pilots who fly on mouse

Тема в разделе "Warbirds International", создана пользователем deey, 13 дек 2003.

1. deey

deey Well-Known Member

I'm courious what is a number of US? ;) So plz write here who is mouse flyier :@popcorn:

2. -mart-

-mart- Well-Known Member

mouse forever

3. vojtas

vojtas Well-Known Member

mouse suxx :p :D

4. Kutya

Kutya Banned

Fly straight, fly with mouse! The real cool heads fly with mouse, no agressive turns anymore.

5. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

lol i have flown here and there on the mouse with bad results. mouse fighting imho is more for boom and zoom and good sneak attacks. it is very difficult to dogfight/turn fight with unless you have lots of friends around to keep others occupied while you attempt get a kill. but when you are alone, and you go 1 on 1 against a foe he will get you 99% of the time, ofcoarse the odds are better if it is a mouser against a mouser then it comes down to who has the bigger guns or more experience. imho mousers preffer 30mm/37mm or multicannon platform for a quick kill pass and fly/run away. hope this helps. if you really want to have good results a good joystick with rudder control is recomended. <S>

bullet

6. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

find longest thread invaniv took part in hardware forum.
    he wrote a driver for mouse so system interprets it as a joystick.
    therefore you may switch axii, buttons etc.
    miraculous extension for mouse capabilities.

7. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

i can't even take off with mouse :shuffle:

8. --stec

--stec Well-Known Member

Bizerk you're so wrong...

Brajo - this nickname should be enough for you to delete your post, I'm sure you remember him from wally's ladder.

9. bazura

bazura Well-Known Member

I fly with mouse and I think it's a very valid input hardware. The advantage of joystick is that you get more "positional awareness", in the sense that you feel easier where the "stick" is at any given instant, but I think this can be overcome with practice (it's a theory of mine, but I can't prove it :D). To make things easier I fly in software mode, so I can see the mouse arrow at any time.

Its a pity that in direct3d I cannot get that. In fact, probably it's a bug in soft mode that I could see the pointer, but it makes big difference. iEN probably did not think that mouse control was "competitive", and they didn't put much effort in it, but, eventually, it's the best that i've seen in any sim! When I tried FlightGear I wished it had a mouse control as good as WB's!

In the pros, you get "perfect" precission, no "deadzones" at all ;). So maybe you can fly at the edge of stall better with mouse.

At least with german planes (that's what I fly) , I think you don't really need a joystick (and I don't just boom & zoom). What I really miss are good pedals, and good throttle. But flying minimalistic is cool, on the other side :cool: .

Conclusion: we could discuss if mouse is as good or worse than joystick, I don't know for sure, but what I'm sure of is that it's better than most of you imagine. If one day you want to break rutine, try it ;).

greetings

P.S. If you wonder if I have ever flew with joystick: yes, I have the infamous Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital 3D, with its unique twist axis, sitting on the shelf. If anyone knows how to disable the twist axis in WB let me know.

10. ozemale6t9

ozemale6t9 Well-Known Member

I have flown with mouse, but I much prefer using a joystick.

To take the topic one step further...anyone fly/flown using a touchpad? I tried this the other day on my laptop, and it's hard, damn hard. Let's just say that if you get the thing off the ground, landing again is not an option.

regards, Oz

11. BarT

BarT Well-Known Member

fuck
    gotta try that ozemale!!!

12. ozemale6t9

ozemale6t9 Well-Known Member

I assume you are talking about the twist handle (rudder). If so, you can disable it by editing the wstick.cfg file in the warbirds/settings folder with notepad, or any other text editor. Change the third number in the ORIGIN (origin??) line to 0 and the third number in the JS_MAX line to 0. Like so:-

ORIGAN 32767 32767 0 32767
    JS_MIN 0 0 0 0
    JS_MAX 65535 65535 0 65535
    READMODE 1
    STICKTYPE 0x1
    HATPRESETS 0 0 0 0 0
    DEADBANDS 0 0 0 0
    MAX_SPIKE 0
    MAXREADS 0
    SCALE0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100
    SCALE1 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100
    SCALE2 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100
    USEFORCEFF 0
    FFPORT 1
    FFRATE 9600
    DAMPING 0 0 0
    HOLD_MOUSE_BUTTON_TO_STEER 0
    MOUSE_Y_AXIS_BOTTOM_IS_PITCH_UP 0
    UseMouse 0

Hope this works for you, it works on my Wingman Strike Force 3D.

regards, Oz

13. Nova

Nova Member

I've been using a mouse ever since i started. can't afford a joystick

14. deey

deey Well-Known Member

DF with mouse can be even sometimes better than on joy, but u have to feel the plane in 100%. If u feel it it is no problem to fight with joy fighters. But it takes much time to learn it good anyway :/

Greeting for all mouse fighters btw ;)

15. daedal

daedal Well-Known Member

I fly on mouse and sometimes feel like a cheater when in knife fight with a joystick owner. Mouse is so smooth and precise.

People buy expensive ans sophisticated sticks which can barely compete with cheap mouse. IMHO good joystick is bogus in WB. Maybe in other sims it's necessary but not in WB. For me buying joystick only adds to better feel not better control.

Greetings,
    Daedal

16. lepper

lepper Well-Known Member

I am flying with mouse. And it is very cool for me. Only bad thing is keyboard based rudder. Til 2 or 3 past ToD's i try not to engage in long DF (result is i am killed much fever times). Mouse is enough for me. I am not an ace, just common pilot :)

17. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

How do you mouse pilots keep eye on con and use rudder at same time?

I found it very difficult when i was flying with mouse. I could only use views when i was not using rudder. (so either my SA or my maneuvers would suffer)

18. lepper

lepper Well-Known Member

I don't need to use rudder and views all the time together so i can switch between them when i need.

19. -mart-

-mart- Well-Known Member

20. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

got rudder and views on keayboard too, on joy only 3 axis (3rd is thrust) and 2xfire
    i found marts way very similir to mine;
    its pretty easy to use views and rudder at the same time on such key bindings