it is not funny.....

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by thomba, Jan 31, 2002.

1. thomba

thomba Well-Known Member

...to be red at early rps.

cutting 20mm of the I-16.

spit I, hurri 1 wont have bombs (some planes are able to carry 50 or 100kg bombs...wtg!), no buff (dauntless, lol a kind of JaBo). next "buff" =tbf, lol in Jan 41.

in order to close a small-field, i have to attack such one with minimum 4xI-16 (100kg-bombs and tiny rockets....and it need experienced pilots to hit the targets.... not some lucky one with 500-kg-bombs). the gold one just need 1xJu88 or 2 commandos to kill a small one.

in order to kill some reds, dweebs like to be gold (numbering). i dont mean the "static" gold ones (squads)......just the lonesome dweebs.

bb, July 1942, it is not funny anymore))))

out FH now, it sucks

[ 31 January 2002: Message edited by: thomba ]

2. babek-

babek- Well-Known Member

Maybe the Il-4 medium bomber will come with the next FH-update - so this buffer-problem for early RPS will be solved.

Another solution could be to allow the Li-2 to carry bombs. I read some months ago that the Soviets used the plane also for bombing-raids.

3. -fla--

-fla-- Well-Known Member

But, AFAIK it wasn't used so early.
    Indeed it's a dificult situation, mostly because the Allies were historicaly in the defensive until 1943. Maybe this situation could be solved by the adition 1-2 early british bombers.

4. hrtman

hrtman Well-Known Member

-Pilots

Yes DC-3/C-47/Li-2/Dakota... were used in a limmited role for bombing. I have nothing against slinging some bombs under that thing. ...but lets sling some bombs under the JU-52 which were also used in a light bombers in the Spanish War before WWII and in WWII it'self.

Also while you are messing with the plane sets... Japan also had the C-47. :) please make this great plane available for the axis as it is historical.

-Hrtman

:)

5. hrtman

hrtman Well-Known Member

-Pilots

Yes great idea... lets get the Landcaster (3632kg bomb!) , Bristol Blencheim, Halifax and the Wellington into this fight!

I'd love to shoot down some new bombers :)

-hrtman

PS- for those pilots not on metric system 3632kg is 8000 pounds! ...some Landcasters could carry up to 12,000 pounds of bombs.

6. gahis

gahis FH Sound Developer

I would think the Handley page Halifax would be a great idea. It could carry 5800lbs for 900miles, or for max bombload 13000lbs for 300miles. First deleviey were in November 1940, max speed 282mph, ((2x7mm tail)) ((1x7mm nose)) ((2x7mm dorsal)) 6180 total produced untill 1947. One version carried transport gliders :)

I belive this would be a great bomber for red early war

OR you can have the vickers wellington, less bombs, better defence

7. gahis

gahis FH Sound Developer

BTW, lancaster is a more late war bomber then early RPS

8. mekh--

mekh-- Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree, Red really has it rough in the ordnance department in early-war period. The SBD is only average and none of the fighters carry much, whereas Gold has two planes with bombsights, one of which is almost a heavy bomber, and all of the fighters have good ground attack capability.

Red could really use an early-war medium or heavy bomber. Or at least start the RPS out with the TBF. Or do both.

However, the situation reverses towards the late war. All the later American fighters can carry BIG ordnance loads (heavy bombs and many rockets) while some of the later 109s can't even carry bombs. The German rockets on the 190 are good, but do less overall damage than can be done in an American plane if you're a good shot with rockets. If you fire two HVARs per ack, that still gets you three to five acks =plus= your heavy bombs, in one fighter run. The 190 can only do two targets.

And Gold doesn't have anything like the Mosquito. The G4M is good, but not that good ;)

[ 31 January 2002: Message edited by: mekh-- ]

9. --stec

--stec Well-Known Member

PZL P.37B Los

2580kg bombs
    430km/h
    5700m service ceiling
    maneuverability of heavy fighter
    3x7,92mm defensive armament(AFAIK Romanians also put a MG FF in it)
    Enters RPS in march 1938 ;)

[​IMG]

Hmmmm you like it reddies? :D ;)

P.S.
    Forgot to write that with slightly reduced payload it was able to operate from small grass airstrips during Polish campaign ;)

[ 01 February 2002: Message edited by: --stec ]

10. Odisseo

Odisseo Well-Known Member

mmh if i understood allieds need small/medium early bombers and NOT the Lancaster!
    IF hvy bombers will be added that's axis side that need them. for ally:

Russian Tupolev ANT-6 Bomber 1935
    [​IMG]

Russian Tupolev ANT-37 Long-range Bomber 1941
    [​IMG]

Russian Tupolev ANT-58 Front-line Bomber 1941
    [​IMG]

Russian Sukhoy BB-1 Short-range Bomber 1940
    [​IMG]

Russian Ilushin DB-3 Long-range Bomber 1936
    [​IMG]

Russian Petlyakov PE-8 Long-range Heavy Bomber
    [​IMG]

Russian Yakovlev YAK-2 Short-range Bomber 1940
    [​IMG]

Russian Yakovlev YAK-4 Short-range Bomber 1940
    [​IMG]

11. Odisseo

UK

Unated Kingdom Armstrong Whitworth WHITLEY Long-range Bomber 1937
    [​IMG]

Unated Kingdom Handley Page HALIFAX Heavy Long-range Bomber 1940
    [​IMG]

Unated Kingdom Armstrong Whitworth WHITLEY Long-range Bomber 1937
    [​IMG]

Unated Kingdom Short S.29 STIRLING Heavy Bomber 1940
    [​IMG]

Unated Kingdom Handley Page HAMPDEN Medium Bomber 1938
    [​IMG]

Unated Kingdom Fairey HENDON Heavy Bomber 1936
    [​IMG]

12. Odisseo

FR

France Amiot 351 Medium Bomber 1940
    [​IMG]

France Breguet Br.691 Bomber- Attack aircraft 1940
    [​IMG]

France Liore et Olivier LeO 45 Medium Bomber 1940
    [​IMG]

France Bloch MB.162 Long-range Bomber 1940
    [​IMG]

France Potez 633 Light Bomber 1937
    [​IMG]

That's what i found from most interesting early allied bombers.
    Just for change from the usual and famous bombers ;)

13. thomba

thomba Well-Known Member

wtg, odi, nice ideas.

but flying as outnumbered as at the moment, without any hvy fighters....somebody has stolen my 20mm from I-16....it is rediciolous.

my consequence, and, btw, the consequence of most of the GCVG is, to keep out FH still this shit of early rps will be fixed.

14. fruehk

fruehk Member

WTG Thomba!!!
    You are absolutely right!! This is ridiculous:
    1st golds always outnumber reds due to "kill- dweebs"
    2nd reds do not have a single plane with "serious" guns, means guns with punch (like 20mm or 6x12.7mm)
    3rd Not a single field attack plane!!! Golds have 110 which can carry big load (compared to red planes) and additionally 109 can carry a bomb and have 2x20mm!!!

This is a little bit too much of an advantage of one side over the other!!

Isn't it boring for gold pilots??? The moments I enjoy most while playing WB are those when a well balanced war is going on, and it really depends on cooperation within the colour!! Right now reds could do whatever they wanted, it would still make no difference, they would get beaten!!!!

FH might finally end up with all pilots on one side (LOL, just joking!!). But to be serious again IMO that's boring and drives away pilots!!
    I'll stay away from FH until Spit V and Hurri 2c have arrived!!! That's the result of a IMO too realistic rps!!!!
    Greetz from outta skies!! Fruehk

15. --stec

--stec Well-Known Member

8x0.303 of spit and hurri mk1 was a powerful weapon in ww2. Until it becomes so on FH, flying for red side in early RPS is senseless, that I must agree :(

16. babek-

babek- Well-Known Member

I think its OK that the I-16 has been reduced in its effectiveness because of historical reasons.

But I also think that stec got the point in this problem-discussion:

In WB / FH the small calibre guns are extremely underpowered.

Thats it - simple, but true.

The 7,7mm was in reality a much more effective weapon.

Only one example: The famous japanes fighter-ace Saburo Sakai wrote in his memoirs that he alsways disliked the 20mm guns of his Zero. Instead he shot down the most of his victims with his 2x7,7mm machineguns.
    The man shot down around 80 allied planes, if I remember right.

So - whats about the idea to raise the effectiveness of 7,7mm calibre?

On FH we have the ridiculous situation that planes with great calibres - used for anti-ground or anti-ship or anti-bomber-fighting are used for dogfights.

But in reality the small calibres were much better and planes like Spit-I or so were much more dangerous.

17. mcosta

mcosta Guest

aim well your burst into a zeke's wing and you'll see it getting ripped off. i'm doing that all the time ;)

and... it works against more armored planes as well... just aim correctly... at the pilot :D

18. Platy

Platy Well-Known Member

Try the P40, its one of my favourite planes in WB. I can shoot down 109, zekes, mc202, ki43 with only a few pings.. just concentrate your fire in one part of the plane.

As for the i16 issue, well if in reality only 30% of them had cannons, then I think its only fair that you only get 30% chance of getting them in FH (and since I don't use it anyway :p ).

In terms of fighters red and gold are equal in early rps, in terms of bombers I can't say that.

19. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

golds have ju88 early war, but late war reds have b24, that flies at 11km (!!!)!!!

and i never use the 20mm. in fact, i always use the dual 12mm. 8x7mm is more effective than that. aim in the right places and the faster RoF will speak over any caliber. (sshhh mcosta ;) ) i hate the 30+mm era.

20. --stec

--stec Well-Known Member

Well on Polish FH with perfect connection I was able to concentrate my fire on the cockpit and get the kill with just a brief burst of hurri mk1's .303s. Here with cons usually warping across whole my screen I'm happy to hit them anywhere :)

But now since I have my MG151/20 with a messerschmitt 109F attached to it I will not whine anymore ;p (maybe until my squad flys red again ;) )