Ground Gunners

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Allsop, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

Now Im sure there is more than a logical explaination for this, as I have thought of many, but why dont buffs auto gunners work on the ground? I mean, I doubt they had a "safety device" that deactivated on take off.

My main voice of reason is that "you dont want, say, 12 b17's sitting on the runway functioning as hmacks." But my reasoning is like "You could have 12 he177's functioning as hmacks".

Ive heard tailes about airraids and pilots being so desprite to fight back they would use the bombers gunners to fight back on low flying strafers and such. and as unfond of the idea I am, if were going for realism in the streaks, fuel, and fucntion of the map and feilds, shouldnt auto's work on the ground, or atleast if they were pilot operated?

:flyer: :turret: :flyer: :turret: :flyer: :turret: :flyer: :turret: :flyer: :turret: :flyer:

2. Pikkot

Pikkot Well-Known Member

it would look like that: I'm sitting in gunner position and shooting, when I see plane is turing into me I fast type /.e and after few sec .fly and I shoot again...that would ruin play more then hmack.

3. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

That was also a faint Idea in the back of my head, but wonder why there arnt feild restricts like there are hmacks, even if you do land, It would be realistic that you couldnt just roll again with a fresh undamaged plane with full ammo load and fuel.

4. Pikkot

Pikkot Well-Known Member

realistic. as landing in Warsaw and taking off in Rome after typing .move f26:)

5. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

give 1life arena and personal planes!!
    :D

6. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

I would like to see one day that we could make personal planes "paint/weapons/loadout" but I think we would have to start paying the $ for FH administers to take the time to get all that in. Varients are probably the closest thing we can do to personalize, as it seems many golds enjoy to fly the 109g2 till the end of the war.

I dont fly red, but I like the idea taken on the p39, where you can change the varient to the "p400" model, things like that really make it seem like the plane is your own. Convergence is another thing that sets people apart, it can make or break from what D you can bring a plane down. ex- If you fly a plane and have the stock convergence of 300, but dont fire till say atleast d2, your bullets are doing significantly less damage than they could be doing because you could have them concentrated more into a certain area.

7. Odisseo

Odisseo Well-Known Member

play AH :)

8. Franz-

Franz- FH Beta Tester

Ground Gunners its a long history.

When I played at iEN (since WB 2.0, or before, I can't remember), ground gunners were removed in client-side engine because it was frequent to observe a field being attacked and some B-17 OTR acting as a called "Death Star", firing their ottos at will.

We could say we could use gunners in a real war, but, as this is a computer game, and we have lots of stuffs that don't match with reality, ground gunners would become (again) a real problem, since you have infinite lifes and don't are "afraid to die".

I really think if ground ottos were enabled it would be a great problem again.

9. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

yeah. and it will solve problem of ground vehicles: mobile aaa and tanks ;)
    i still cannot understand wether it is hardcoded in fe or dictated by svr

10. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

I still dont understand, about all this talk of tanks I hear time to time. Is the FH planing on adding tanks to the game? If so, I think people are in for a long trip feild to feild. Haha, "3hours latter" in a feild far far away" I can see it now - "HmTank rtb for ammo keep me clear" :) ......crazy.

11. big-jo

big-jo Well-Known Member

there were some jeeps raids in past ;)

12. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

oh yes, after 2 hours riding, jeeps could make a mess in a field :p

13. gryphon

gryphon Well-Known Member

it would be nice to be able to defend yourself on the ground after a ditch. but consider how much damge a buff can take on the ground. only pk or cfuel can kill one. ive seen planes ditched on a field in ack b4 for ever. taking 12s 20s non-stop from ack everyting blown off but cockpit. so gound gunners would inefect = multi gun jeep that takes afew hunders 20mms to kill short of a pk or center fuel fire. this is one of those thing tah would be nece in some situations but abused in most.

14. Franz-

Franz- FH Beta Tester

This feature (ground gunners off) AFAIK is in FE, I could find in server side...

About Tanks, FHL have a plane (I cant remember the number) its a TANK.

I've already drived JEEPs and TANKs, but due the ground gunners off, I could use theirs ottos. If it would a server side feature, we could disable only in JEEPs and TANKs to be able to use theirs ottos.

BUT, JEEPs and TANKs controled by players (not like .hmack that server controls JEEP and u are only attacked to it) couldnt get off fields, because happes the same as planes: landing gears brakes...

thats all I know :)

[]'s
    franz-

15. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

I too remember the days when our hmacks had, what was it? 40mm 88mm? I never killed plane with that gun, but I sure as hell had some fun wheeling it to other feilds and raining down fire from up in the mountains.......god I got pissed if someone found me and killed me....nothing like waisting 45-120 minuets. haha.