Tracer bullets

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by -ptah-, Sep 21, 2001.

1. -ptah-

-ptah- Guest

I bring my nose up, he comes into my sights, and from less than 300 yards I trigger a long, merciless burst from my Brownings. Every fifth bullet or so is a tracer, leaving a thin trail of smoke, marking the path of the bullet stream. The tracers race upward and find him. The bullets chew at the wing root, the cockpit, the engine, making bright little flashes. I hose the Messerschmitt down the way you'd hose down a campfire, methodically, from one end to the other, not wanting to make a mistake here. The 109 shakes like a retriever coming out of the water, throwing off pieces. He slows, almost stops, as if parked in the sky, his propeller just windmilling, and he begins smoking heavily.

This is just part of the story taken from "Bud Anderson" web site.
    http://www.cebudanderson.com/ch1.htm
    where you can read complete story.

Btw -> Bud is a WWII Triple Ace who flew the P-51 Mustang, "Old Crow" while assigned to the 357th Fighter Group "Yoxford Boys", 8th Air Force, Leiston Field, United Kingdom. The 357th Fighter Group was credited with shooting down 609 1/2 enemy aircraft in only 15 months.

Now inevitable question/conclucion/idea!

It will be great to have every fifth bullet "TRACER BULLET" on our virtual planes.
    Not to mention that P-51 Mustang has it acording to Bud's story is Historical fakt and true!

2. mekh--

mekh-- Well-Known Member

What you're seeing in WB actually -is- a tracer every fifth bullet (or second or third, it depends on the gun - for 12mm I think it's every third or fourth)

The only problem is that the bullets in between the tracers don't actually exist. iEN probably did this to help cut down on processor usage, and instead they made each tracer do the damage of all the 2/3/4/5 bullets in between.

I don't think it's possible for the FH guys to actually change Warbirds to have an every-actual-round system, that would have to be a very big hack.

3. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

WOW! [​IMG]

------------------
    Генерал-майор (Air Commodore) grobar,
    Axis Foreign Volunteers Squadron

4. hrtman

hrtman Well-Known Member

-=<>=--=<>=--=<>=--=<>=--=<>=--=<>=--=<>=-

-Pilots

IRL tracers usually didn't follow the same tragectory as the "regular" rounds.

I forget if they were high or low for sure... seems to me tracers fell short. I would have to consult sources to be sure.

Just a thought.

-hrtman

-=<>=--=<>=--=<>=--=<>=--=<>=--=<>=--=<>=-

5. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

It is rather unfortunate, but it explains why I virtually can only waste 50% of ammo, while there is 100% in my magazines...

damn

greetz, Zembla

[​IMG]