Two lame things, otto and He177's DM

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by -frog-, Oct 9, 2004.

1. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

I will start in such a way:

Yesterday I flew a high altitude reconesaince in F4u over f21-f4 cause I knew there was a cv closing to those fields. I've spotted one (later two) high dots otw our fields. I started to climb and almost 7kms over f4 I was able to finally see a He177 preparing for a bomb run. I gained a bit more E, closed in, dived, pinged the belly of He177 from 700yards, disengaged, gained E again... and repeated this procedure untill the Greif fell down in flames. It took me 4 passes to do so (about 170x.50 calibre hits from 600-800 yards in belly). After the first pass the guy got fuel leak (left wing)... after the second something came off the plane (2 or 3 small thingies-> probably flaps and/or controll surfaces), 3rd pass gave him another fuel leak and some more pieces falling off, 4th pass finally tore the Greif apart. Each pass 40x12+ hits. That was quite ok with me. But after finishing the first Greif I've decided to follow the second one... so I accelerated and attacked it in level (going a bit under it) with big speed advantage... I only took one snapshot from 800-600 yards, and pulled hard up in order to avoid otto... I got pinged by 7mm anyway (500 yards minimum!!!). The lame things about the whole are:
    1st- How, I really mean HOW THA FUCK? Is this possible that otto hits 5x7mm in one burst from at least 550 yards into a target that is moving both vertically and horizontally with at least 200mph+ difference?
    2nd- How could a single, short burst of 12mm, from 800 to 600 yards, aimed to knock out ottos (left guns-> I was using 300yard conv, so I aimed in such a way, that the left guns should hit the fuselage) tear off the left wing of Greif? I hit 16x12 only, aiming rather at fuselage than at the left wing (I was planning to hit only from the left guns, the right guns were out of my concern- they hit the left wing rather as "side effect" of aiming the left ones somewhat precisely into fuselage). Taking into account, that the shooting distance was big and that I saw both the left and the right guns hitting target, I'm forced to believe, that no more than 8x.50cal tore the wing of -ukko-'s (cause he was piloting the 2nd Greif) buff. 8x12!!! WTF is that? You call it a DM? No leaks, no fires, no other damages... the damn wing broke after recieving 8x12 from 700 yards!!! (and -ukko- wasn't executing any manouvres which would strain the airframe... he was flying straight, with opened bomb doors and preparing for the run).

So- what's wrong with otto? And why can't He177's DM be finally fixed?

2. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

Where the flowers bloom like madness in the spri-i
    So you're saying that because you got pinged by 7mm and because you cut a Greif's wing with a few 12mm you need to start a new thread?

:)

(I've lost both A6M ailerons from 800 yards by a DB3-F otto (7mm wow!!!) and I've lost wing by 2x12mm in fighter, but I didn't start a thread like that)

:cheers:

Now go fly!

3. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

Yeap cbfs...
    If both of those things were real no buff ever would need a fighter cover... and He177 wouldn't be able to take off at all probably... cause it wings would desintagrate with the first harder pull of elevator (at the end of runway already).

4. muf-lo

muf-lo Well-Known Member

There are chances that one of your bullets did hit a 50kg bomb fuze located near the wing root of He177, blowing that zone and making the wing fell off.
    See the thing this way, it's more romantic... :)

5. Harpoon

Harpoon Well-Known Member

I once saw this 110 that had an actual sniper sitting in the back for otto. He got me right in the forehead with a scoped KAR, what can ya do?

6. sebbo

sebbo Well-Known Member

Hell Harpoon, that's nothing compared to the nuclear-tipped AAM-missile I153 I ran into the other day......

7. Harpoon

Harpoon Well-Known Member

Pfft. I saw a Zeke with jets and a laser and guess what? He could outclimb a 109.. shock horror someone make a new thread about it!

8. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    Lemme get this straight:
    Quote:
    "...(about 170x.50 calibre hits from 600-800 yards in belly). ..."
    600 yards = 1800 feet (!) 800 yards = 2400 feet (!!!!)
    Do you hunt? Okay, I am a marksman. When I was a boy, I got awards in Royal Canadian Air Cadets for marksmanship, when I was a teenager, I never had to pay for my own beer if there was a 303 around and anyone stupid enough to BET ME I couldn't hit that gopher over there...
    2400 feet is a fuck of a long way to be shooting a .303. And no, i never shot anything with a .50 cal, I never seen a .50 cal hunting rifle and I never went hunting ragheads or slopes like yanks did... SO I wouldn't know about that.
    Anyway, take a hunting rifle and aim at that fucking gopher that is a HALF MILE AWAY. Do ya think you can hit him? If you are a bragart, you might claim to be able to do that. I might be able to do that too, if I had a box full of shells and was taking NO RETURN FIRE.
    From 2400 feet, even a He-177 is a fuckin SPECK. Can you say SPECK? Yet you say in there you were "...from 800 to 600 yards, aimed to knock out ottos (left guns->...."
    and
    "...I was using 300yard conv, so I aimed in such a way, that the left guns should hit the fuselage) tear off the left wing of Greif? I hit 16x12 only, aiming rather at fuselage than at the left wing..."
    When I am at d8 I don't even BOTHER firing my guns. You got a target tooling along at a couple hundred miles per hour, NON LINEAR velocity. You are tooling along at least that fast. The target is a SPECK, and rides on his rudder (an ancient and tiring trick lame gamers use, the adjust rudder trim to induce a skid).

I would say to you, "If you can shoot a guy down from those ranges, picking off the pimples on the tailgunners nose, aiming for "The left rear of his elevator or his right side oil cooler, you shouldn't be whining about otto doing the same to you.

JESUS, man!:rolleyes:

9. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

@Biles

I was in marksmanship section of nearby military club, and I can assure you, that even 1.000m still does enable you to aim (provided that you know your weapon).
    Here on FH the Greif is an excellent target with its long fuselage and wide wings. What size of monitor do you use? 14''? ;) With 17 or 19'' hitting buffs from long range isn't such a problem. Especially with calibres smaller than 20mm (cause cannon shells have worse dynamics). The .50 calibre has a stable and flat trajectory, enabling anyone with a deflection sight to use the d3 20mm deflection circle as d8 12mm aim. And with streak of 20 kills a suicidal run into ottos range of fire was out of my interest- still I wanted to get them and I hit'em hard. I landed with over 40% of ammo left, so it wasn't spraying too. I still can't get the point of your post :(

10. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    [deleted]

Just don't shoot until you see the whites of his eyes.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2004
  11. muf-lo

muf-lo Well-Known Member

When I was doing my year at Army down here I made 31 on 32 with a Garand automatic rifle aiming at a "dwarf with helmet" target some 50 meters away. I always wondered why we were trained to kill Smurfs when our nearest threat was a Slav nation in which the average height is something near 2 meters. Maybe our Head Quarters found funny shoot people between balls?

12. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

strange tactics for archers when enemy approaches with visors closed...

13. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

The usual. the otto here is so newbies can fly and feel good so they don't get discouraged and leave. Most of these fellas can't fly fighters. so they let the lazer guided super bursts do the work while they watch tv drinking coffee. a moment later they glace at the monitor and see they got a kill. if you are d5, you'll either get pk'ed or most of your control surfaces will be rendered usless, or your engine gets killed. and yes it is with good tactics and and high speed to get your shots in and boogie fast. but it surprises the hell out of me that this is possible. Occational hits, loss of control surfaces and /or a pk will happen, but it shouldn't be the norm. there is no realism here. so i suggest expect the unexpected especially if you think realism plays a part here because clearly it does not.

14. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

Man, remember when pe2's pissed all the golds off and almost every red flew it? I remember one time diving my 190a4 lite down on one and at d9 traveling at near 700km/h i got a pk in the first auto strand........I sat in the tower for about 3 minuets in awe of how I lost my streak of 8 kills to a random d9 strand of auto fire......shit happens, as people have said, just try not to cry about it.

15. gryphon

gryphon Well-Known Member

simple think... pe2/ 410 come in from front 180 spere were only the pe2s nose gun is a facter. and roll after pass to avoid cheap passing pk at d1...b25s hmm no bellie guns sneak in underneth at d6 and when almost under pull up into buff. wrks good on ju88 also. just make sure u dont miss your shot and stall out close 6. make that mistake and 99% pk. 110. avaoid his 6 if hes fling steapy. if hes dog fighting his ottos will not work because of gs so then feal safe to close in and pop his 6. he177 has 20mm tail gun. any attack from 6 unrecomened and should be exacuted changing angles of attack and altitued, becase it will only take a 2 second bead to criple your plane.

In sort know your target. it steanghs weeknesses, and otto positions. golds always bitch about pe2 but when im in one and get "fucking pe2" chnl 100. con made one of two, or both, misstakes of ingaging. they parked 6 spaying me or tried to sneak in slightly lo 6( were my deadly12mm gunner is) instead of were my 7mm faster shooting top gunner is. 12mm is ussaly the pk and cfuel hitter top gunner with its rappid 7mms ussaly kills moter more then anything else. ive seen people like vaught sonar come into my pe2 with smart angled passig sticks and kill me with ottos scoring almost no hits with there base burst 3, max burst 4, and burst off at.o5. if ottos are made much worse then now( ive noted admines lowered above default setting fucking over any who dont know dot comands for) then only planes airborn doring field closing will be jabos. witch would be sad since somtimes there is nothing more efective then b24 hitting a field just b4 a cv does. or pe2 taking 8 100s to a mid field like 13 as golds are fiercly tring to save 25. in one trip i can kill evey ack making a sweep almost a gareinty. and knowing that over 2k i go from 100% hit to 60% or worse. the lack of effecint otto would make me not even want to raid at all but go vulch somewere instead. at least on current settings.. or lastweeks( was accuray reduced or my luck gone to shit)i had 50-50 chance of rtb

Last edited: Oct 17, 2004
  16. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

Lool gryphn... reduced? ROTFL

17. gryphon

gryphon Well-Known Member

/ ive not killed a con with pe2 ottos for 3 days even those staying d 2 for 20 seconds. and also ,oot params now gives u burst base 1 burst max 3 burst off 1. this was higher when i leared .otto comands. I asume this was lowered to make ottos worse for all those whiners who think ottos are atiarcrat batteres. (wait asec.. arnt they?!?). and yes accuracy seems down. when cons d 1.5 for 20 seconds and ottos only hit him for 5 of that 20 wehn set on bas min 3 base mak 4 base off .05 and there shotting almost none stop. there blind mothere fuckers. and ottos dont nead a new version to be changed noe dose the tufness of a buff to servive. these are all .comandes that adminestators can use to change how hard a buff is to kill at any time. any one whos wondered why i gyes otto shoots in bursts and anothers like jeanys and ine shoot almost none stop would off found nic central and would of found text document in warbirds labled new otto settings. and would know that admins can change a lot of shit at will in otto setting and buff hardess with a few . commands. and that clients( that us) can change a few things they decied to let us in otto params for ourselfs personaly. in fh its only the burst times off ottos. haw long theyll shoot how long thell stop and how long extra to hold trigger if there hitting somthing.

18. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

Well everyone talks about how great the 410's auto gunners are and I HAVE NEVER BEEN SAVED OR GOTTEN A KILL DUE TO 410 OTTO FIRE. Maybe the plane just hates me, but usually a con drops in behind me and I think "Im safe, everyone says 410 autos rock!" and 3 seconds latter my wing is gone......

19. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Opposite for me, everytime i attack one it is certain death. Especially when it's Tgwsky at the helm :p

20. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

Even worse, I flew 110g2 for awhile yesterday and Ive realized my accuracy with 30mm is really poor now! Probably since Ive been flying 190's for so long Im used to the nice flight pattern of mg151/20.

Even better I flew f6f-5 and p51 today and Its funny that I can hit things easily from d8....yet from d3 I cant even scrape something withe the 110g2...maybe just a bad day....