How did you get into Warbirds?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Helrza, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Nice thread Helrza :)

I started in 2001 initially. I played MechWarrior with Malino and he told me about FH. I had a crap joystick then so I quickly got bored with dieing quickly (this was OFFLINE as well lol). I forgot all about it for a year until Malino nagged me to give it another try. I invested in a decent stick, tried it out, and havent been able to give up since.

2. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

I played Air Warrior 3 like biles. I was in JG27 Afrika with some other dudes who are on here, then Air Warrior started to suck really hard and we found out about FH and we came here.

And I don't play anymore but I'm thinking that I want to set it up again over the winter or summer. We'll see :)

3. manoce

manoce Well-Known Member

I only heard tales of ancient times.. about biiig spaaanking. ;)

4. --stec

--stec Well-Known Member

Got 5 109's myself in 2 Hurri sorties ;)

5. muf-lo

muf-lo Well-Known Member

I used to play Falcon 4.0 but at a point I just got bored to hit the same switch to activate something I barely knew what was going to do. Then I found Dawn of Aces and tried it on-line. Nice, but I wasn't ready to pay for play. The step from DoA to Warbirds was short and the myth of a Free Russian Server was spread on Italian flight sims newsgroup. I eventually found it but connection was terrible: once I saw an entire furball warp back and forth! Dropped it to join the Aces High free beta (for which I still love HiTech and Pyro) where I found out that a propeller and a couple of guns are all one needs to have fun and enjoyed it 'till the end. Then I got an e-mail from a pilot of the Regia Aeronautica (ulisse) who reminded me of the existence of FH. I came back, loved it, learned to close both eyes on things I don't like in it and actually thanking the Devs for having a server interested in simulate the WWII air war in a realistic way.

PS- Kutya, I love your sense of humor! :)

6. Kutya

Kutya Banned

I love you too! ;)

7. ganjab

ganjab Well-Known Member

hi all :mafia:

my first flight in Wb was 1998.

:flyer: i flew on german wb server first as "rabbie"

later as "ganjab" :)

8. gollum

gollum Member

I used to play with Microsoft flight sim.
    MFS was the first game I installed on my first PC
    ( 4 MHz 256 Kb ram )
    In sep 95 I read the newsgroup comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim
    They where taking about a new on-line flight sim
    called Confirmed Kill ( CK ). It was in beta and was free
    at that time. It was a Dos program and you had to
    have a shell account by your ISP. And it was using
    telnet protocol. All data was converted to "text".
    One day my modem disconnected, all players disappeared
    -- expect for one, and he was right on my tail.
    I realized that it was just a "gost" created of the
    echo from the modem that I saw. I also realized that
    this gave a possibility to play H2H that was not in the
    game at that time. I was able to use this to play H2H
    via com ports.
    This was interesting... I started to reverse enginere the
    protocol, it was not easy due to the very special way the
    data was converted to text. So I was very happy when I
    had "cracked" it. What to do with this info...
    I gave it to a friend who wrote a server. This server
    was never open to the public and it was run just a few
    hours every week for a couple of friends.
    Later CK become WB and a win95 program using TCP as today.
    The TCP protocol was much easier to crack, and the server was converted.
    During this time there was many updates and my friend
    grow tired of updating his server so it was closed.
    And I closed my WB account.
    Some year later I read about FH and I still take a sortie
    now and then. And I still sux, I am happy if I can have
    a kill/death of 1

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  9. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

gollum wins :D

10. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

My 8th grade science teacher had between him and a friend their own private Host of WB. After getting a grant from the school an "after school" flight club started up for those who could keep good enough grades to go "you could lie your way through grades". Then about 30 trigger happy kids would be rolling from the same airfield with MS sidewinder joysticks and you were considered skilled if you coud take off and get to 1k feet without being shot down.....

Lots of fun, and lots of learning all the little tricks like flaps and how to acutally land and keep your plane in one peice :)

A few years of that, and the teacher told us of a FH that some of us more interested pilots might like. We got sent home with disks of the newest and latest edition of WB and then the NLMS "North Lake Middle School" Flying Bulldogs were formed. Over the years less and less of us have flown untill it was down to just me and Altoid.

Many years latter and a few anual tournys at our old school and were still here with WBFH.

11. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

10th December 2001
    Not much online playing before FH
    -knqr- aka knquru told me about it one night at work.
    Greets to him :)

airfax

12. HJM---

HJM--- Well-Known Member

like ye'ol'lame Stec said :D....ancient times...quite long time ago in WB and very long time ago into sims (about 1986, 1987)....

13. BarT

BarT Well-Known Member

I've met -jata- from 302 on "tresor" party at eskulap in poznan. We were old squadmates from times I was playing Quake 2 CTF. He just told me about this game and that's how it started.

14. bulldg

bulldg Active Member

First downloaded WB from iEN in 2000, but didn't start playing online with them until the next year along with DOA. After playing WB3 a bit I drifted off into WW2OL around the beginning of 2003 (and didn't fly as you might have imagined ...the CharB1bis rules!) and just quit that last fall as the system requirements soon made my comp obsolete. I also fiddled a bit with Targetware, but there wasn't enough flyers to really have much fun (though the flight models are realistic and difficult to master, at least for me). Just 2 weeks ago I had installed WB2.77 again just to have fun offline, while doing a Google search for the gunsights I used to have the FH page came up in the search.

The rest, as they say, was hysteria

15. big-jo

big-jo Well-Known Member

LOOOOOL

16. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

I think I started playing back on version 1.x, way back in '96 or so, on a Mac. Spent a lot of money ;) But I only remember bits and pieces, because after a a couple of years of intense playng I began dropping out for a year or two, then coming back to the various versions out of curiosity.

We had a squad named "The Hellfish" back then, and we were all very well organized and disciplined. The whole arena seemed very serious back then. We had to attend weekly practice, and missions were very exact and well planned.

It's strange, because I've forgotten a lot about those days, but I can still remember particular dogfights and squadron buff missions. I even remember my first-ever sortie, and shooting at my own side, with mouse as joystick. I had no clue :)

Now I just like to pimp around in FreeHost every now and then for fun. My skills are pathetic now and I break all of my own rules of engagement, which means I'm a flying target -- but it's fun :)

Do you guys remember this?

http://www.virtualpilots.fi/feature/articles/bookofdweeb/

17. gahis

gahis FH Sound Developer

I had USN navy fighters 98, and purchased a logitech joystick, it had a demo of warbirds in it. played for awhile offline and LAN, then we found FH in '01 and played it

18. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

How could we forget it? :D It's one of the few memories I've got in my Warbirds folder in my favorites. (Another is hoof's page, an article on the basics of ACM, and some funny stuff)

<Z>

19. Ricedd_EEB

Ricedd_EEB Well-Known Member

lol
    i was looking for some videos from WWII in kazaa when that thing called "warbirds.exe" appear in my search... in kazaa!!!! LOL i decided to check it out. Half year later i discovered the FH, and played online for the first time...

:cheers:

20. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

Well i was told from an old Vietnam Vet forman at my work place about warbirds and his flights against a Japanese fellow. Well i did a search downloaded 2.73 flew off-line, then found a H2H challenge ladder site and flew their for quite awhile. We all upgraded to 2.75, then 2.76 and one of the pilots either gawong or mazilo or was it marilo enticed me to come to this new free server for warbirds, he said golds are always out numbered and they needed help, well that sounded just fine for me since i did very well by that time in the H2H site and mainly flew the Ki-84. Man it was a whole different thing with multiple flyers and i struggled for a bit, but being that i was new well one must learn from their mistakes, but i flew this one mission as a heavy fighter to help in a field capture, well it looked very near to closing except for one building still standing, so i banked and did my approach dive and released my bomb, I was so happy i connected and was waiting to hear good job from all the other pilots, but instead , to my surprise they all yelled and cursed and bitched at me! The reason why they bitched at me was at that time long ago if you bombed the tower (which was the building i hit thinking it needed to be destroyed) you had to wait until it re-upped, or rebuilt itself before you could attempt to capture it. Well i apologised for my mistake, but many continued to yell obscenities, So i said to myself ah I don't need this. So i left for a few months and went back to the H2H site when this pilot named gizz-- said come on back and fly red (and at that time reds were outnumbered quite often)so i gave it a go once again with the VMF-117 Screamin Eagleswhich changed to The Elite, and it was Version 2.76 Fh used and many many enjoyed it. I flew as bizerk back then, but lost my password and have been bullet ever since. So I was here at Fh a couple years before I ever posted in the forum here. <S> for the Free game play :D