How to make this game more interesting

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by --q---, Jan 2, 2005.

?

Do you like any of the solutions presented below ?

1. I dont like this concepts at all (I cant survive a sortie ;) )

34.6%
  2. I love the option 1.

38.5%
  3. I love the option 2.

3.8%
  4. I love the option 3.

38.5%
  5. I have better solution.

15.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. --q---

--q--- Well-Known Member

I think that many people noticed that there is slight problem with the balance of the game. On FH shooting down a pilot doesn't make any difference to side power balance whatsoever. Pilots who try to survive a sortie are actually less useful to their side. One could say that fighter who stays in the air longer because he can survive his fight can be more useful then suicider, but with current fuel settings the usefulnes of staying in the air is dramatically reduced. When field is attacked suicide jabos are most effective , when field is defended most effective are suicide fighters scrambling under the fire. I think it would be nice if all these were fixed in some way.
    I have couple of suggestions that can be easily implemented IMHO:

1. Back in my childhood we used to play a war, and when somone was "killed" he had to stay "dead" for some time, he had to count to 1000 or something. On FH it could be done by applying a restrict of let's say 10 minutes to dead or captured and 5 minutes to bailed or ditched (bailed or ditched people did not fly another sortie the same day for sure). The restrict times would have to be negotiated in the community.

2. Reserve pilots pool. Each side would have a counter of available "new" pilots. The counter would increase steadily over a time. The rate of increase could be proportional to number of fields owned by a country or number of cities or whatever. When person dies he would be able to fly immediately if the reserve pilots were greater then 0, if not he would have to wait till replacement is available. This solution would be more difficult to implement because there would be problem of many people waiting for that first replacement to come up and some queue should be implemented. But this solution would solve the side players unbalance problem most effectively.

3. Home base concept: The .move fxx command would be disabled. All resurected pilots in a coutry would have to take off from a specified field the "Home base". To get to another field they would have to land there. So after being dead person would have to fly all the way to the front, this would simulate the training stage of pilot's life ;). The "Home base" could be any big field for example, or just single one. In this solution problem of moving pilot to another field when he finds himself on closed or captured field would have to be solved (or not - the pilots would have to abandon endangered fields).

These are my proposals. I hope that any one of them catches some interest.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  2. yivan

yivan Well-Known Member

i voted for 1 option, but imho we have it already. If you were killed just after start you have restriction to start from that field. Mb it could be bigger and mb restriction time sould be applied after any death event to prevent kamikaze tactics.

3. laxtsc

laxtsc Well-Known Member

IMHO those propositions could be faster implemented on Tabahost than FH.
    I have also nice idead. Due to night operations at Tabahost, it could be nice to do Special Operations. At the cover of darkness Li2 or Ju52 drops few commandos at low alt. They haven't mortars, they'are too loud. Instead of this they comes to acks and buildings and set explosives. This idea could work only at nighttime :
    1. Darkness covers commandos from acks.
    2. They have few minutes (to set, 3/5 min) until alarm sound awake acks and kills commandos.
    3. At daytime acks shoot them normally.
    4. Optional - tower as soldiers barrack :) To defend field.

As Vibora said, nothing is impossible to do at Tabahost.

4. Pikkot

Pikkot Well-Known Member

I like 1 and 3 but I do not vote as I do not have time for MA anymore.

5. reuben

reuben Well-Known Member

Yes, ahem...
    Even with the "short" time set now, that I can't take off from a field where I have recently ditched/crashed/died , is annoying enough. I dunno if it is because my ass is big in the game or what, but I get killed on the runway or right after takeoff quite a lot. Mostly while trying to defend field, not with kamikaze tactics, but just defending by geting airborne and try to fend off evil buggers attacking.

Recently I have resorted to the same tactic when attacking, ie shooting planes at runway... nothing that I am proud of, but ... "do onto others what others do to you" or something like that.

About your suggestions, then:
    The first option, with delay for new takeoff would be best of the three, home base concept is also ok, but the maps are too big imho for that. Imagine having home base at F1 and the action is taking place around F12/F14 at the current map. No fun to fly THAT long..

But I'm quite happy as it is, sorry for being an old fart with fear of changes ;).

6. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

i vote for option 3:
    killed and newcomers should start from some back field.
    their landing bases are logged, and after landing log is filled with 3(?) different fields, they are allowed to use .move.

imho it will increase cost of virtual life dramatically. probably TOO dramatically and unpleasant.

probably pilot must have 10 minutes of flight time instead of 3 fields to be allowed for .move again.

anyways, it's is not «sit down 10' restrict» that will make the game even more unpleasant.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  7. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

FH is the best thing you've ever got for free.
    Love FH, embrace it, kiss it, flatter it.

Dont complain about, it insult it & demand it should be tailored to your personal desires.

8. Kutya

Kutya Banned

I voted for woodpeckers.

9. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

-> K - Yeah I figured you'd do that, I nearly did the same.

Not sure if these rules would really make up for the differences between real life and simulation. Warbirds is different from real-life, somewhere you gotta draw a line to seperate gameplay from semi-realistic details. By the nature of an online multiplayer game with no form of drones, a game which in all respect is rather archaпc in organisation, I think the propositions you make wouldn't really come to the general good of the game, rather than the few advantaged parties.

<Z>

10. fatale

fatale Well-Known Member

voted for 1&3 - great ideas :super:

11. gryphon

gryphon Well-Known Member

u know having to wait for planes to rebuild din't go over well with comunity did it? what the difrence between waiting in twr 10 minues for a 190, or waiting 10 minutes to fly at all? besides anyone who comes on for quickey b4 work or dinner wouldnt get to fly at all they would be flying from point a to point b, then have no time to accully fight somthing. and rolling a buff from 1 to 26 so u can raid 24??? 2-3 hours to have a 190 roll and kill u in five minutes? really i dont undestand everyone complains about restrictions then goes and ask for ones just as bad.

12. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

While were at it, how about if you get shot and die, you dont get to fly at all till the next war, making it so everyone would have to make dozens of useless names to fly under! Yhea! that would surely make this game better!

How about we just get the modeling and DM right and then we worry about ways to ruin WBFH.

13. big-jo

big-jo Well-Known Member

the asnwer imo : map with fields more separated ones of others

14. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

Yes, please, lets be like vampires and suck what little fun is left in this game out and spit it on the floor before we drink that last drop of death.

I think the answear to bring back old FH members and ring in the good times is to remove the fule rule, fix some modeling errors, get a few more planes in here, and then call it good........

But if you want a less "micky mouse" approach, lets make it so everyone must attach electrodes to your nipples so when you get shot down you get zapped into un-imaginianable pain.

15. big-jo

big-jo Well-Known Member

looool

16. -BISH-

-BISH- Well-Known Member

I voted, in vain, for option 1

I can?t second all that roland garros said, but without a doubt FH is an impressive feat by developers and a great freebie for all who want to try it. To those who must have put in many hours of hard work <S>

But, based on a little experience at FH and reading posts relating gameplay and modelling I realise ?fun? is relative, and very personal!

My mistake was to think I had found a challenging game and that as I improved my level of skill, there would unfold some exiting strategic avenues. My realisation is that there are not! The flaw being my reasoning, not the game.

It is an arcade game? fly around, shoot everything you see, die?fly around?.lets attack fxx?.strap bombs to your fighter, drop, fly around shoot everything you see?die + repeat until achieving desired result or bored.

To me a change in this direction would be good, but I can see it won?t suit everybody. But as things stand when I log in I?m gonna grab a friend & a fighter and blast away.

It?s a shame you live so far away q?I?ll be holding a more poker games at home in 2005

:mafia:

17. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

Damn, for once I second the allsops suggestion. Nipple zapping sounds cool, right big-jo?
    :p
    airfax :@drunk:

18. --q---

--q--- Well-Known Member

The qustion is if most of us want arcade game or somthing that involves strategy. I think it should be made the way it makes MOST people happy.

In WB I allways try to win back no matter the cost, so I dont think I would be a good poker player, but the world is small so we never know ;).

19. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

this is far from an arcade game, but what were asking for is a releif to the lower sides of modeling in the game.......for example, while jap planes are performing like crap, it would help if during field defence we could roll with sub 100 fuel to lighten our take off load, but that would still make the enemy load enough fuel to get there.....

With all the vulching and what not, the idea of flight restricts is the most awfull thing Ive heard of since "reds need more bombers".

20. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

id like to see pilots leaking fuel off their planes when they hear: "SCRAMBLE! SCRAMBLE!"
    fuel restrict on start makes it less arcade, actually