The Pope

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by -afi--, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Kutya

Kutya Banned

HAHAHAHAHAHA! LMAO! That line made my day.

God save the Pope!

-

2. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

Well said.

:rose: to an old man whos death is media circus......

airfax :@drunk:

3. hugo baskervill

hugo baskervill Well-Known Member

The God call him to heaven.

The pope said to nurses, who care about him: "I'm happy, be too".

He is a good pope.

4. squirl

squirl Well-Known Member

I used more than two dozen different terms in google.com's search engine, all trying to find information about these statistics. It is very difficult to find those statistics. Statistics from 1980-90 were all I could find. Perhaps -frog- used a different search engine to get his results and therefore might have found a website that google would not have found.

About your statement about American mathematics education: American educators know the performance of the students. To get an objective analysis, each state's students take a test conducted by a different state. In Washington, students take the Iowa Tests in 3rd, 6th and 9th grades and the Washington Assesment of Student Learning in 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th and 10th grades.

@Frog: what are you disputing? My numbers are correct, but they are from the 80's. American enrollment was low in the 1980's, so those figures are conservative estimates.

So what are you disputing? My numbers or my conclusions? Disputing my numbers which show the same trend as your numbers proves nothing. In case you are wondering, that trend would be the fact that the United States is #1 in education in both your numbers and my numbers. The Seattle area is one of the most educated areas in the world - about 50% of the population has a degree. Not only that, but the US is still growing. Our colleges and universities are overcrowded, so one can imagine that new institutions will be created and/or old ones expanded in the future. EU politicians speak of economic growth, but ignore the fact that the USA still has immense potential for growth. North and South America are the actual last frontiers for economic growth. Europeans, Africans and Asians cannot claim that they will make huge gains when civilization has existed there for thousands of years. Even the original natives of the Americas were relative newcomers.
    Do you dispute my claim that the US has the most higher education? By not addressing what I was saying, you have proven how possible it is to act foolishly when accusing someone of being a fool.

5. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

Squirl, just drop it.

I agreed to drop the subject, you do it too.

6. squirl

squirl Well-Known Member

Afi, you were never in that subject. It seems the only discussion you like to put forward are statements telling people not to discuss at all.

7. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

Pardon my english skills, but what exactly is "degree"?

8. Boroda

Boroda FH Community Officer

maybe something like "doctor of science", PhD or other title that shows advance in science.

9. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

So it's a university (or similar) thing..?

10. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Normally a university degree.

Bachelor of Arts or Science is normally 4-year
    Masters is post-bachelor graduate degree, normally 2 years
    Then comes the Doctorate

I think there are also some 2-year degrees (Associates).

Sorry, I know this was a thread about the Pope, so I meant no disrepect by not mentioning him. I'm Lutheran (at least by birth, if not practice), but I'm sure he always did what he felt was right, even if I didn't always agree.

:rose:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
  11. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

That is possible, I never had to look for any numbers, my professor showed them on a slide on an overhead projector, so I've got no idea about the difficulty with obtaining accurate data.

Well, I could experience the difference by myself. I had an American university handbook for Linear Algebra (European edition it was though). In the preamble it said something about the supposed knowledge and the level from which it started. All things that were taught in that book I already learned in my 5th year in secondary. The only thing that says is there's a difference in the schooling system. I personally like the Belgian system, you can't choose your own schedule, you rather select from pre-assembled schedules. This way you'll always have certain classes, and can't avoid them. Of course, you'll have obliged classes as well, but there's still a difference.

Oh well, it'll be different everywhere, I just know that for mathematics specifically Belgium scored pretty high... think it was 5th in the world ranking. The numbers were researched by an independant thingy, so you can't say the source was biased :)

<Z>

12. vojtas

vojtas Well-Known Member

1.He didn't asked for any
    2.he deserves for much more, altough i don't like the way the media present it, i would just wish the'd leave him alone, these guys just care about theirselfs , more audience=more $$$

13. --vipe

--vipe Well-Known Member

lets end this discussion The Pope is dead :(

R.I.P :rose: may the God be with U

14. torsti

torsti Well-Known Member

he is dead, rest in peace...

15. Lukass

Lukass Well-Known Member

Salut! :rose:

16. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

The Pope has reached eternal peace...

I was in a pub and witnessed people's reaction to the news... drunk Poles are better than every other nation... we just left the pub, kissed eachother as a sign of respect for what has hapenned and went home...
    I've kissed more guys than I'll ever kiss in my remaining life...
    but I do think that we, as a nation, have more reasons to mourn than the dumbfacess I'm just watching on CNBC... we lived with the Pope, although most of us did not completely agree with his holiness... now a part of Us has died... died with a great man, which shall be remembered for his consequence and persistance in messaging it.

I'm atheist... but I was really moved by what have happened to my Country during the last 48 hours.
    :rose: Salute John Paul II, Salute Karol Wojtyła, for You were our guideline and hope... You were the sign of truth during the hard years my dad spent in prison, you were the sheepherd of world and our nation both in the times of sorrow and the times of joy...
    without You there would be no Poland as it is today... and I'm most thankfull (and all crying now matter of fact, although criticising You on numerous occasions during my long career as independant University press member) for what you've done to this country, to this World... full of injustice and economical deprivation, You were so sensible about, full of wars, You were against... full of shallows and businesses, You were against...

... I would write more... but I'm crying... fucking see a 26yr old male cryin to see how serious this is...

17. --vipe

--vipe Well-Known Member

Amen

Frog its not a shame, im crying too, i think now its time to think obout our lives. Now i I regret that i have never listen Him on Sunday, but i think that he left a lot of lessons and now i want to know them much more.

But Im happy that i had a chance to see him in Vatican

18. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

He was one of the best Popes in history. Most humble. He and the guy before - John XXIII.

But catholic church has a long way to return to Christ and I dont believe a few righteous men will ever be able to break the human pride in sin.

19. hugo baskervill

hugo baskervill Well-Known Member

Today is resurrection.

20. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

Requiescat in pace

:rose:

He was a good man.

A pope must be an integer man, but he must also be capable of addressing all layers, ages and cultures of society. I hope John Paul II's successor will be equally good at that.

<Z>