unrecoverable spin - Bf109-g2

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by biles, Oct 1, 2005.

1. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    I wa nice and high, bounced a bad guy who was nice and low.
    I was turning hard to get my first shot in and spun the 109g2 [first time flying it this New Version].
    I got me into an accelerated stall, I guess. I spun it. And it would not recover. 4Km I spun, trying to get out of it. The guy I bounced must have laughed his head off.
    Funny, I didn't think 109s had a reputation for that sort of unforgiving behavior.....
    I am not complaining, I will just take the plane up more often and find out how to fly it ALL OVER AGAIN.
    I kinda like the increased risked of going out of control in the game, makes it harder for certain idiots [you know who you are] to pull nine gee lead.
    But I bet the spin algorythim is common to all planes and is pretty simple and therefore hard to make each plane behave differently once out of control.......

I love watcing my wings rip off in a high gee pull-out in a Chaika too. But that happenned lottsa times before and I kinda expect it for being an idiot....

2. Sturmbock

Sturmbock Well-Known Member

http://www.virtualpilots.fi/feature/articles/109myths/ :

Stalling the 109

Me 109 E:
    "The airplane was equipped with a 60 foot trailing static head and a swiveling pitot head. Although, as may be imagined, operation of a trailing static from a single-seater with a rather cramped cockpit is a difficult job, the pilot brought back the following results:
    Lowering the ailerons and flaps thus increases CL max of 0.5. This is roughly the value which would be expected from the installation. Behaviour at the stall. The airplane was put through the full official tests. The results may be summarized by saying that the stalling behaviour, flaps up and down, is excellent. Both rudder and ailerons are effective right down to the stall, which is very gentle, the wing only falling about 10 degrees and the nose falling with it. There is no tendency to spin. With flaps up the ailerons snatch while the slats are opening, and there is a buffeting on the ailerons as the stall is approached.. Withs flaps down there is no aileron snatch as the slats open, and no pre-stall aileron buffeting. There is no warning of the stall, flaps down. From the safety viewpoint this is the sold adverse stalling feature; it is largely off-set by the innocuous behaviour at the stall and by the very high degree of fore and aft stability on the approach glide.
    It is important to bear in mind that minimum radii of turn are obtained by going as near to the stall as possible. In this respect the Bf.109E scores by its excellent control near the stall and innocuous behaviour at the stall, giving the pilot confidence to get the last ounce out of his airplanes turning performance."
    - RAF Royal Aircraft Establishment (RAE) Farnborough handling trials,Bf.109E Wn: 1304. M.B. Morgan and R. Smelt of the RAE, 1944.
    Me 109 E-4:
    "I was amazed at how docile the aircraft was and how difficult it was to depart, particularly from manoeuvre - in a level turn there was lots of warning from a wide buffet margin and the aircraft would not depart unless it was out of balance. Once departted the aircraft was recovered easily by centralizing the controls."
    - Charlie Brown, RAF Flying Instructor, test flight of restored Me 109 E-4 WN 3579. Source: Warbirds Journal issue 50.

Me 109 G:
    "- How the Messerschmitt reacted to hard pull? Did she stall?
    There is the general opinion that you could not make her stall by pulling but she could 'slip'."
    - Kyösti Karhila, Finnish fighter ace. 32 victories. Source: Interview by Finnish Virtual Pilots Association.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2005
  3. biles

biles Well-Known Member

I guess I didn't make myself clear.
    I stalled at HIGH SPEED. I was turning and I was rolled over about 90 degrees. I was using the rudder a bit to keep it coordinated.
    I went into a high speed stall.
    I think it is called an accelerated stall.
    Which is not anything like the sorts of stalls that [pretty good] excerpt was referrin to.

4. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

The FH flightmodel is so messed that all planes do that now.I noticed that many fights are won by con going in to a unrecovarable spin.Sky seems like flapping butterflys falling down.No wonder MA is so empty nowdays.This game is fkedup.:(

5. biles

biles Well-Known Member

Is that why there are so few there since I came back?
    Really?
    I been in spins where I 'died,' but it was too low and I understood the reasons for my 'death.'
    I didn't know (until very recently) it was this funky even with room to recover. Shit eh?

6. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

No shit, these days P-38 goes into a spin if you even just THINK about turning.

7. squirl

squirl Well-Known Member

I know of a version of Warbirds where the stalls/spins are more reasonable...

8. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

you can go visit it

1 person likes this.
  9. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

When there's been a rush hour? Almost all the time there's someone and any time when I've been on-line there usually 30-40 players. Side balance sucks though, but that's something that one have to get used to. 10-30, either way, isn't exactly sporty :D

Has there been a time when there were 100+ players at MA, constantly? If my memory serves me right, most that I've seen was 90+....

:fly2:

10. squirl

squirl Well-Known Member

The time that there were constantly 100+ players online corresponded to the time that a certain version of Warbirds was used...

11. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

there has never been 100+ constantly. Only two or three nights in the last 3,5 years i've seen more than 100 players. There were more before, that's obvious, but it's logical. There are better games in the market (i mean better graphics), but some of us prefer old and addictive than new and unpersonal....

12. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

but you weren't there, right?

Maybe you remembering a different game? warbirds, perhaps? You know, the one that isn't/wasn't "free"....

13. squirl

squirl Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that when it is evening-time in Europe it is night time in the Ukraine and Russia. When it is evening-time where I live people from Europe to Russia are online. Logically, there are more people online when I log on in the evening than when Europeans log on in the evening. Europeans would need to fly in the morning hours to see the same people that I see in the evening.

I find it funny, however, when I log on at 6 P.M. and see many Polish people flying. I may devote a lot of my time to this game, but at 3 in the morning I have a life outside Warbirds.

It is interesting that you think that if Europeans haven't seen more than 100 people online, nobody else has. In fact, I have seen over 200 people online at one time, but that was back in the time when the DB-3F was the Il-4 and the fuel level was the decision of the pilot.

14. Fucketeer

Fucketeer Banned

Let's just point it out: Europeans suck.

I mean, what a fucking bunch of idiots. Niggers sucked, jews sucked, gays sucked even more, but none of them come close to Europeans.

15. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

Yep, and squirly boy here is the only one who has seen "the magical and ilusive more than a 100 number of players on FH". Your attitude will never cease to suprise me.

16. Fucketeer

Fucketeer Banned

Did I mention Chinese (the world-owners) suck too?

17. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

First, i've played in every time frame, so i know that in the European evenings is when you can find more people online. There are polish people (quite numerous community), Brazilian people, German people, and Russians, and by 1-2 am European time, number starts to decrease. So i don't know if we're talking about the same game, or you ate too many mushrooms...

Btw, AFAIK, by scenario meetings, server only allows 130 people online at the same time, so....

18. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

You can always go to hell, you'll be more comfortable there, i bet :D

19. Snakeye

Snakeye Well-Known Member

I remember about 150 people online on one scenario attempt. Server didn't make it ;)

20. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

Game devs are update by update making 109 190 better and of course the russian planes,and the same time downgrading US & english (& japs) planes weapons & FM.That's the way it goes but what the hell, who gives a shit, game ruined.This used to be fun game ,especially from T&B fighter like me,but when you get good DF here nowdays? german energy retention & speeds etc. go far out.Spit 9 can't dive faster than 400+ mph and 109F's are 60kmh! faster than spit5's.I got bout 50kmh faster 109 my 6 in spit and he climbs about d7 higher than me when he passes me. yeehaa.talk about E retention man.