spit vs 109

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by rehn, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Vadim Maksimenko

Vadim Maksimenko Well-Known Member

If you have read my post, your task not to scare an opponent, but to make him lose all his advantages, whilst retaining all yours. If you make everything properly, you get the fastest planes in your gunsight uncapable to flee and most maneuvrable -- stalling or compressed in your gunsight.

2. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

To be fair, if your opponent has a plane superior to yours in certain aspects AND doesn't make any mistakes, you may do everything right and still not get him. I'm not a particularly good pilot but I think I'm skilled enough to say that it is NOT just a matter of tactics.

3. Vadim Maksimenko

Planes cannot be superior in all aspects. Your task is to pull your opponent in the area, where you have a bonus over him, not otherwise. If your plane is slower, but more maneuvrable, force him to slow down, playing an easy prey, then kill him. If your plane is faster, force him to fight at high speeds, where he is compressed and you are not. If he is higher, force him to dive on you until your energy equals. And always look dumb :)

4. rehn

rehn Well-Known Member

Well...Thats the main problem. How to do the Right Thing and still look dumb.... :p

5. Red Ant

Yes, I know the theory quite well, but it does not always work in practise. A dedicated boom&zoom fighter with a substantial speed advantage cannot be beat by a turn&burn plane regardless of what beautiful tricks the T&B pilot may pull off, PROVIDED that B&Z pilot makes absolutely no mistakes. How do you force a well flown B&Z plane to play your game if the B&Z pilot simply refuses to do so? Right, you don't. You may well evade his attacks all day long, but if he doesn't screw the pooch you're simply not going to get a shot at him.
    All your suggestions assume that the other dude takes the bait and does something stupid, which a lot of the time is actually not an unreasonable assumption, but the few times you meet someone exceptionally capable who doesn't fall for your tricks, you're simply out of luck.

P.S. I've got the looking dumb part down quite well. ;)

6. Vadim Maksimenko

The most simple example of looking dumb: he attacks you, you evade vaguely -- just a bit out off his aim, but always watching his maneuvers. If he takes the bite and tries to follow you, you make evasive more tight, but still "reachable". If you're in Spitfire and he is 109, there is a point, when he just cannot follow you, here you instantly flip back on him -- tables are turned. If he is wise enough, you strighten your plane immediatelly after he disengages and start to climb. If he wants to down you, he needs to turn back, dive and attack. You just evade and climb, you do not dive. So, sooner or later, you find yourself co-alt... or he decides to carry his ass away for good :D

7. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

well, thats partly true
    remember when we met the other day? u in pony and me in ki84?
    u were perfectly safe as long u were extra careful
    but that let me have a lot of time to kill other cons
    cant remember how many i got, having u over my head, attacking from time to time

my point is, u really can use ANY of planes characteristics to outperform other aircraft... but u wont threat him too much

as long u kept ur E at highest possible level, with low risk attacks u couldnt threat me, just as i couldnt threat u
    but this happes not too often - ppl bleed E to make more dangerous attack and that gives the chance to both sides, after all

concluding, it IS about tactics
    if u want to threat opponent, u will have to risk more or less in any plane
    and if opponent knows how to make u risk and bring out of his own aircraft its abilities to threat u in counter, he can get u, if u make that risky move

sure u can say, ur the master of the situation and its u who decide if theres a fight or not
    but neither u, nor he are in real trouble as long u dont put some risk in there

8. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

thats what i say :D ;)

9. rehn

rehn Well-Known Member

As the FM is now 109 can always follow a Spit. I can't flip back on a 109 when I am in Spit, just as the Spit could not
    flip back on me when I was in a 109. ( 109F2 vs
    spit5 ).
    What I usually do is just to hang on until he( or me:p ) stalls or hits the ground...
    The first to do a mistake dies unless the 109 runs. If in Spit it is hard to run.
    Maybe fuel load might make some difference though.
    One more thing about the 109: I don't get these nagging messages "u almost lost this or that due to g overload" after 1 or 2 hits.
    I think I stay gold ... more action with the current red roster.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  10. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

hmmm apparantly I must get different planes then you fellas. denie it all you want.

@franz, No we do not need to have all planes at our disposal from both sides. Takes the fun out of axis/allies fighting. That would be forced desegrigation. What we need is aircraft that behave the way they are supposed to behave. With out worrying about if the plane is going to be the way you know it, or altered in some way either in speed ,climb, or manueverability from sortie to sortie or T.O.D to T.O.D. We need consistancy first and foremost. Not offering all planes available to both sides. Warbirds 2005 already has that and it is stupid as hell to see f6f fight f6f or zeke against a zeke. Besides training arena is available for same aircraft dogfights.

and you guys can go..... you know what to yourselves just because I preffer to fly Allied only. I do fly gold each TOD and find it rather easy in 109's and 190's and in the zeke its incredible. but I still preffer version of warbirds 2.76 or 2.77 and other FHL update versions on up to 1.62 the zeke was better and more historically correct. It turned on a dime, controls stiffened up at very fast speeds. The current A6M2 and 3and 5 are a tad to fast and especially in a dive. On the deck the A6M2 and F4F were equal in speed yet in here the zeke pulls away even after a dive from an F4F.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  11. Red Ant

You're right, there's no such thing as a free lunch. No pain no gain. He who risks nothing can gain nothing. And so on.
    Now as far as our fight is concerned, you're really confirming my theory rather than refute it (sorry if I sound a bit like squirl here :D). As I've said, you (the T&B fighter with comparedly low E) could evade my (the high energy B&Z fighter's) attacks all day long, but you had no hopes of even threatening me .. UNTIL I made a mistake, that is. That mistake being my decision to abandon my fruitless B&Z attacks and try to slug it out with you in a series of violent high speed maneuvers, which unfortunately quickly degraded into a classic old fashioned turn fight ... which is exactly what I had been trying to avoid.

On a side note, I knew it was you in that Frank right from the beginning when I saw that red plane impact and read the kill message. Knowing that as a pilot, you are easily twice my caliber (I have at least a dozen very one-sided engagements to prove my point), I was very hesitant to take any unnecessary risks but eventually impatience got the better of me and seconds later I was softly descending on my pretty little chute. :D

But be that as it may, my point here is that had it not been me in that Pony but a pilot with your skill or better, the best you could have hoped for is a draw. He might still not have gotten you, but no way in hell could you have killed the Pony.

Of course it is. But it's not only about tactics, and I hope that I have provided adequate evidence to support my claim. :D

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  12. hugo baskervill

hugo baskervill Well-Known Member

Imho spits werent too uber IRL, in Africa against 109F or in europe against FW190 spitfires lost a lot of planes.

All spits manuevers better than all 109s, maybe spit14 and 109f2 could be near.

Now spits have better cannons till the end of war.

The main problem with spits are pilots, all pilots of spits enter fight with similar or less energy than opponents and they are dragged till some other gold doesnt kill them.

I'm flying for golds now and maybe i'm doing mistake but:
    -spit's pilots, fly away from fight and climb higher than your gold opponents and you can kill them easy.

13. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

hey i partly agreed with what u said before ;)
    but theres always a trick u can use to get even great bnzoomer in plane that outperforms urs
    or bunch of tricks at the same time
    its just a matter of how good they are
    unless of course perfect climber is doin sth more than just climbing

not sayin its easy

and so what one can be perfectly safe if he cant threat enyone?
    its like he never existed :)
    as soon he decide to perform an attack that actually can bring his enemy down, he become beatable
    whatever happens next is just an effect of situation and two opposing players and they both have their chances
    theres no unbeatable, effectively fighting plane, if opponents are at least close with their skills to each other
    thats all im sayin

14. -kopi-

-kopi- Well-Known Member

Ok heres my vision on the subject. First of all all problems comes from admins that for no good reason changed planes that where modeled corectly in IEN ver of warbirds. Those are jap planes spits and some other probably. To be more precice here are those problems.
    Spit Vb is a tropical ver of this plane and that makes it VERY slow. Its just few km/h faster then I16!!! I know it was widly used over africa but also over France and Britain. Thats why we got red players complaing about 109s runing from them at will. And its quite a while when we get spits Vc and ofcourse Golds have 109 f4 and g2 so it dosent changes much.
    Spit IX i really dont know why reds complain so much at this plane now. It surely is better then it was in past FHL. It turns just great ( better than spit mk V) has good speed and climb and has those powerfull hispanos. I fought once against ki61 190 109 in the same time shot them all down and didnt even got sweat. Only thing that got worse on this plane is rollrate. And as i pointed out many times there is no way a spit mk9 could turn better than spit mkVc.
    109 f4 is modeled well Imo. But 109 g2 is too good. It got manuverability of 109 f4 and power of late 109 g2 that makes this plane a very good preformer in speed climb and accelaration and i dont think that combination was possible. In erlier version we have or a high preformance heavy 109 g2 or a more manuverable but slower on deck (then 109f4 and spit 9 )and faster at higher altitude gustav. So i think we should get back to erlier zeros ki's. Make spit mkVb a non tropical ver. Get back to the erlier spit mk9. And chose one of the 109s g2.
    Damadge model isnt in good shape too. I think we all like DM model in offline. Is it really so hard to make it the same in FHL???

15. fatale

fatale Well-Known Member

cc, air filters Vokes= -40 km/h

i want spit 9 with 2x12mm, not 4x7mm :)

btw: and change uber Beau FM+invisible skin...totally laughable :)

16. rehn

rehn Well-Known Member

And here is my vision on the subject:
    FH crew has a very good reason: They want to fly Soviet planes.
    To make Soviet planes to have at least some chance against German planes they have to upgrade Soviet planes. Especially early war planes.
    This made the allied plane set too attractive in general so to give enough players incitement to play axis they had to give the axis some compensation, by fiddling with some other planes.
    It is their game and they can do what they want with it.
    If you don't like it, please go somewhere else.
    I am very grateful for the effort they put into this game and will stay. ( And maybe go gold )
    For me red/gold number balance is more important than that all the planes are historically correct. Gangbanging / beeing gangbanged is just boooring.
    To be slightly outnumbered seems like giving me the best action.
    Just my 2$ (inflation..)

17. spindl

spindl Active Member

In real life, a lot of spitfires were lost due to the fact that german pilots had a lot of training and flying hours while spit's pilots had only a few,
    most were lucky enough to survive, and those are the only ones who were somewhat more equal to its german adversaries.
    In terms of flight characteristics, sPits have much better maneuvrability. Some say due to the eliptical shape of the wing.
    109s have always been known to be better climbers, thus they are better suited for vertical engagement. Hence it is much easier to fight with spits for a starter. It takes a lot more patience and precision to fly 109s because the learning curve here is exponential, while spit's is relatively flat.
    I agree with hugo that the biggest mistake is that spit pilots enter turn fights and are left without energy only to be picked up by someone else. And even then, spits have much better energy retention than 109s.
    Speaking of guns, don't tell me that it is easy to learn to shoot in 109s effectively. In fact, you really have to get close to the adversary to get a clean shot in 109 because it's shootin via prop and the bullet ballistics is relatively heavy.
    To me, flying 109 took a lot more discipline than spits. I still manage to learn how to shoot properly with it, whereas spit was somewhat arcade-like.

18. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

lets not forget that with 2xhispano you don't really need to score many hits to get a kill (usually)

19. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Yaks with single cannon are the true sniper planes. And I don't mean the 37mm variant (although I like that type) :)

Yes, flying 109 takes more discipline. Especially in later years.