Operation Illuminate Biles

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by biles, May 30, 2006.

1. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    This job I got is mostly doin nothin but waitin.
    I am waitin for the shift to end.
    Sort of like time travellin.
    I am dismayed findin myself doin this for I fear I will soon roll over from sleep to awake in my bed and realize, to my horror that I have somehow missed 16000 days and am now in the final moments of my life.
    Like Rip Van Winkle was written by Kurt Vonnegut Jr or Poe, instead of, well, the guy who wrote it [three Heritage Authors from the American Colonies - jeez. Wait, I goin to google].
    I am scared of wasting all this time I been givin. I have a great fear already that I ain't gonna actually travel in my life, that I will miss that. I also do not think I am gonna be flyin with a private pilot's license.
    I won't get that degree in history I wanted along with the prerequisite political science.

One thing I knew I could do, I knew it a long time ago that I could do this thing is.
    I read.
    I like to read.
    I love to read.

Okay.
    I been lamenting the abuse of libraries I did when I was a kid, because they have long memories and I am livin in the same town I did as a young guy when I abused the local library and lost borrowing privileges.
    I now owe several thousand dollars in fines and fees [yep, tabulated from 1974, when I lost the huge book about napoleon's campaigns, by, um, Chandler, Ahem, I believe, ahem.
    That loss was the last straw and I still cannot get an amnesty for the loss of that book, in 1974.
    Is god's truth!
    Okay, sure, I could move to another city close by and get a library card for that city, but that seems to be a bother and I am so tired of bein bothered...
    So for the time I am stuck living in the city I abused as a youth, I can't borrow books here.

However.
    I can type
    http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/search
    in the URL thingie and get an instant fuckin rush, man. A rush.
    And it ain't so bad readin this stuff from a laptop, on batteries, at night, because you can run a laptop for a LONG FUCKIN time on batteries when yer in [dos - nix terminal] text mode.
    So I am having fits of happiness lately over this Project Gutenberg thingie, seein as it is all I ever thought I would do with this life anyway.

Tense yawn.

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  2. biles

biles Well-Known Member

What the fuck is wrong with you guys? I didn't even say anything to nasty and yet, it seems, there is this fuckin deathly silence, like I had just told a kraut joke in a synagogue.

3. jotaceTOGA

jotaceTOGA Well-Known Member

I don´t read books on computer because my eyes ache.
    I like to read little things like this forum or stuffs for the college, but books is out of question.

4. biles

biles Well-Known Member

Yeah. My eyes are bothered by it too.
    I can push my luck a bit and use a command line, just black and white tet. It seems to bug my eyes less. But still am only good for an hour or so and afterwards, my eyes are wrecked for the whole day.
    I go to a friend's house and have to use their machine, the first thing I do is get RID of the fuckin 60 Hz thing. And I never could figure out why some these people just put it BACK to 60Hz, saying, "I like it that way."
    WTF?
    Another thing really cramped my style as a student is HORRIBLE headaches I get from flourescent lighting. And school boards will tell you there is NOTHING wrong with those lights, why, studies have shown......... [fuckin studies conducted by Westinghouse's captive dogs]

\Anyway, right now I am reading U S Grant's memoirs.
    He sure spends a lot of time talking about horses... I guess they were very important back then.

5. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Check out books.google.com. Not enough there yet, but keep an eye on it. They have machines to do page flippin' and OCR, so it's only a matter of time.

I'll always prefer hard copies of texts, but I'm old :)

There's a lot of research going into this stuff. We humans will need to change...

6. biles

biles Well-Known Member

Paper books don't radiate. I really really dislike radiation.
    If I had to deal with a woman who radiated at many watts and 60 Hz, I would run away fast and spurn technology forever

7. jotaceTOGA

jotaceTOGA Well-Known Member

It is good to take a break at every hour you are in front of PC or television. The recomended time is 15 min.
    Another thing I readed is that if you stay in front of TV or PC about 4 hours, it is like if you used a stick of marijuana. (I readed it from -pepo- msn messenger. I don´t know if it is true hehehehe)

8. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

it's not true
    if it was I'd be completely WASTED every day
    I'm not :(

9. big-jo

big-jo Well-Known Member

i dont like to read electronic books, simply i would do other things in the pc before than that, i prefer the tradicional books :)

10. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

Where the flowers bloom like madness in the spri-i
    Real books smell nice.

11. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

I've been reading stuff from gutenberg too...mainly finnish literature from 1800s, but some english language ones too.

here's few of my favorites:
    http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2500
    http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/5200
    http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/7849
    http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2638
    http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2554

12. Tzebra

Tzebra Well-Known Member

I to am old fashion and prefer my reading material in a paper format. If I find a book that appears to be enjoable in electronic format I will print it out and read it. Additonally paper doesn't require batteries which can be hard to come by in a field environment.

Recently finished Cincinnatus, and within the last couple of months have read Plutarch's on Sparta, and The Peloponnesian wars.

Currently reading parts from the Bible.

13. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

If you wish to start a change in your life, commit less time to this forum and start doing something right now to make changes.
    In the USA there are statutes of limitations. They CANNOT make any demands on you after 7+ years. You can always get a friend to lend you a library card.

Find a different library. Find a different town.
    Just Do it.

14. burnr

burnr Member

FYI, 7 yrs statute, urban myth. Bankruptcy, overdue book, traffic fine, skip out on rent, overdue child support, diddle your neighbors 8 yrs old, either way you are not forgiven. Kept track of on some big super computer in an air conditioned bunker prolly under GW's ranch, Ha!!!

15. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

16. biles

biles Well-Known Member

There is no statute on debts. A debt owed is owed in perpetuity or until paid.
    There is a statute here concerning the legal and active collection of debts. But there is no law saying a library has to lend you books.

And besides, that was just a story bullshit as filler before the gist.
    I could have made the whole message one sentence:

Click this link.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  17. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

wrong colour of link, biles ;)

18. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

who cares? he's biles - he's something ;)

19. reuben

reuben Well-Known Member

@gandhi:
    http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2638

hehehehehehehehehheeh.
    "am I evil?
    Yes I am"

or maybe:
    "well, it depeds on your personal liking"

as said, I like BOOKS.
    sry
    could'nt help meself. Again :D