Time penalty for getting killed????

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by MrBean, Jun 28, 2006.

?

Time Penalty for getting killed?

1. Yes, there should be a penalty of 1 minute

12.0%
  2. Yes, there should be a penalty of 2 minutes

8.0%
  3. Yes, there should be a penalty of more then 2 minutes

24.0%
  4. Yes, but the pemnalty should be otherwise (no time penelaty)

20.0%
  5. No, I don't like the idea of a penalty on getting killed

36.0%
  1. MrBean

MrBean Member

Gents I need your input befaore I will suggest this to the FH staff.

It disturbs me that the majority of players perform kamikaze e.g. if there is a field near a cv they just take off drop boms and kamikaze themselves on ack and again they roll because there is no penalty.

My suggestion is to put a penalty of X minutes for not able to fly (even GVs) from every field. This would improve the playability and increases the realism factor i.e. will decrease the arcade like behavior of most players. It will greatly improve the fun of more realistic dogfighting, Field capture and will bring balance to both sides. Also it will stimulate cooperation between pilots to achieve a task (more mission will be organised IMO).

What do you think?

:super:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
    1 person likes this.
  2. ozemale6t9

ozemale6t9 Well-Known Member

There already is a penalty for getting killed....if it is within a certain time of taking off. There are also other penalties, like not getting many points because you died.

I for one would not support this idea, as I fly at a time (usually) when there are not large numbers flying, and sometimes, I am the only one attacking a cv. Having to wait for restriction, or RTB would make it near impossible to achieve the desired result.

While on the subject, is it possible to make CVs spawn from random ports, or alternate from one to another? CV ping-pong is still an issue, and it would make this less of a problem if the side who was about to lose the CV didn't know which port it was about to respawn at.

Sorry if my question hijacks your thread.:)

regards, Oz

3. MrBean

MrBean Member

Hi Oz,

I agree with your statement but that was not my point of creating this thread for the following reasons:
    1. Not many pilots fly for points so this is for this group of pilots no penalty.
    2. Time frame of taking off is only field oriented i.e. you cannot take off from the SAME field with a time frame regardless if you got killed,bailed,ditched or landed. IMO this is not a penalty simply by taking off from other nearest field.

Perhaps I could rephrase my concern: How can we make the game more realistic (in all aspects dogfighting, bombing, field capture, cooperation between pilots) and eliminate the arcade characteristics as stated above by example? The suggestion of having a time penalty when getting killed is merely a possible solution to the problem. For that I would like to have your suggestions improvements etc. I realy would like to have this thread a positive and constructive character: something we can use to improve gameplay.

Thanks for your reply,
    bean

4. SiD

SiD Well-Known Member

After dead, bail with capture, or ditch with capture 5 min restrickt to take off from any field.
    It is f.ex. ADWar feauture, and it's very good IMO.

5. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

yep, let's scare off the rest of the people who haven't left yet :rolleyes:
    Sometimes I just drop by for a quick furball or sth, and don't have an hour to make 4 sorties.

6. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

with a time penalty, some people will get bored and leave FH. it's not good.

but the problem of dweeb-quake gameplay is serious imo

we need another kind of motivation. imo a paralel system pf points, that would allow you to fly a certain (better) type of plane. and if you die, you lose them. somewhat like in AH

maybe losing part of the already gained points (in the current system) would be efficient too. because nobody likes to lose what was already gained, eh

7. SiD

SiD Well-Known Member

Why? Maybe we scare people with QUAKE style flying, and invite people who just want to fly and have fun.

F.ex.
    you d/f with another pilot over his F. You kill him, and with out ammo and fuel you RTB. But guy you just killed, know about that and he take off from field near and chase you to kill you. He know, that you have no ammo, no fuel, and that you will not fight. Easy kill... QUAKE style, MORE frags.. :)
    It is different if you meet another enemy. He don't know that you are damaged, and w/o fuel..

I hope you know what I mean..

8. Snakeye

Snakeye Well-Known Member

Recently when I join for an hour I am able to fly 1 sortie not 4...

On the other hand maybe I just chat too much instead of flying :shuffle:

9. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

nah, al's bugged :D

10. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

He can't know that, it's only a guess, and I will fight if I can't run, and (depending on the plane) it won't always be an easy kill...
    Besides if I find myself in such a situation it's my fault, and I must face the consequences. I'm a big boy, I don't need the game to protect me from my own mistakes...

11. MrBean

MrBean Member

al you are right concerning the negative impact this solution might cause. It might be a good idea to find a good compromise (thats why I entered only 1 min as penalty).

Besides one can always assist by reading radar and direct pilots to enemies :D

12. MrBean

MrBean Member

Very good alternative solution. However, is this feasable from a development POV?

13. SiD

SiD Well-Known Member

Ofcourse, I agree with you, but only when I fight with another pilot, not with a guy that should be dead, and now he's fly with brand new plane.

14. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

what guy? it's just another 109, spit, 190, LA, whatever, to kill (or run from :D )

15. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

idea is ok, but would kill this host

16. MrBean

MrBean Member

I don't know: it is not that black and white. Like I said b4: finding a compromise that will not scare fellow pilots off and still has a more penalty like character, but must important that makes the game more realistic and forces everyone to addapt their tactics/strategy. I am not convinced that it will kill the host (it still is free).

17. miixch

miixch Well-Known Member

... Better, newer planes for aces (smth like perkpoints at AH) ... worse, older planes for pilots without streak.

for example:
    - Bf-109f4 avaliable at Sep 1941 for pilots with active streak larger then 25 (Sep 1941 - is already the appearance date of Bf-109f4)
    - Bf-109f4 avaliable at Mar 1942 for pilots with active streak=0

- and proper avaliability at Oct 1941, Nov 1941, Dec 1941, Jan 1942, Feb 1942 for pilots with active streak longer then 4, 8, 12, 16, 20.

The aces will be satisfied.
    The quakers will have more motivation to survive.

P.S. ... and remember: aces need quakers for some aiming practice ;)

18. reuben

reuben Well-Known Member

...what about those who only suck, and have problems getting streaks at all

:shuffle:
    ...I dunno when to run away, ahem... so I rarely have streak higher than 1 or 2 :D, and I too often roll from attacked field in desperate attemps of defence :)
    (better than to jump in jeep anyway ;) )
    Or I fly buff a lot, and quite often get shot so I need to jump or ditch, thus not getting streaks...

That "ace vs n00b" idea would not attract new players, and I bet that a few "existing players", such as me, would not approve.

19. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

good point

(but reub, this is BS. u're good, but lazy stfu)

20. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

lol exactly
    why do you think i dont attach to you anymore reub? ur fuckin boring, nothin to laugh at :D