109G2 - just broke speed of sound

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by lepper, Jul 30, 2006.

1. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

does that matter anyway?

funny thing btw, take a photo and put at some site as a render
    you will find dozens of ppl who will say its way too unrealistic
    tested

2. --stec

--stec Well-Known Member

You speak of one thing (which is 100% clear to me btw) and I speak of another, completely different problem!
    It's obvious that total G's the plane would be able to make will decrease with additional weight. But I'm talking of structural strain the airframe will be able to withstand when your fighter is armed with bombs. With 250 kilos under each of Pony's thin, fragile wings you won't be able to pull even low G's without risk of damaging the wing and the keyword is inertia (find proper equations and calculate what force will cause a bomb weighing 250 kilos and traveling, say, 500km/h to a lever (wing) when a plane starts pulling G's.
    My conclusion (also present in ww2 pilots' accounts) is that heavy fighter wouldn't be able to maneuver without risk of losing wings or at best the payload.

3. graatz

graatz Well-Known Member

lol :D

4. --q---

--q--- Well-Known Member

With high subsonic speeds as lepper described stalling of a wing would not be a problem imho. Very little AOA would be needed to achieve extreame lift forces. Compressibility or control surfaces' buffeting would be a problem. As far as I know 109 had the first one. Pilot had to pull 20lbs of force on the stick per single G of load. This is some american test data on 109 without a bomb.
    If I was an engeener that designed the 109 mount point for a bomb I would not make it weatstand forces greater then 109's wings could. Otherwise it would be counter productive becouse there is no point carring a bomb if U dont have wings already. So if the mount point was designed with any brains it would loose the bomb before any structural dmg is made to the airframe.
    So the argument about how many G can 109 pull with a bomb is purly academic imho.

5. Saddan

Saddan Well-Known Member

14g break point and 12g max rated g-load means that the wing will bend before breaking, a hard dive bomb run wold deform permanently the wing, but i dont beleve that even diving the guy would be able to pass 14g, prolly he would become a big crater in the ground due to his controls being too heavy to allow him to pass circa 13g...

6. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Saddan, you're always talking about the breaking point of the airframe as a whole. Think about the breaking point of the bomb rack.

7. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

u make it sound like fusalage holds up wings or that lift is force applied at each wingtip (ur talk of 'lever')

no

lift force is all along wing

in this case bombs may help wing in high g manoover

lookie at pic of su-35 on cobra manoover:

[​IMG]

red arow - force of air on wing
    black arrow - forwrd force of fusalage
    blue arrow - forwrd force of underwing stores

as u see underwing stores can oppose a net torque force of wing

big air drag wants bend wings upward but bombs can stop this

only limit factor is strenth of wing pylon

herr ingenieur probly design pylon to give way before damage on wing