Last of the Tomcats ...

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Red Ant, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

2. beryl

beryl Well-Known Member

:rose:

I wouldn't be here if T.Cruise would fly any other plane in Topgun movie.

Salute to most beautiful fighter ever!

3. muf-lo

muf-lo Well-Known Member

:rose:
    It's always sad to see a nice weapon system such as the AIM-54 Phoenix fade away bringing its launching device with itself... :(

4. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

R.I.P

Tomcat, Bombcat, F-14

<Z>

5. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    F-18 is, from what i have read, less costly, more versatile and a few other things.
    F-14 is 35 years old.
    I don't remember how old the f-18 is, but it is 'young' enough that fly-by-wire was standard when it was first made.
    Was the AIM-54 ever fired in anger?
    Hell, nevermind them. Was the AIM-120 ever fired in anger?

They sure are fuckin HUGE planes.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  6. Snakeye

Snakeye Well-Known Member

S! F14... One of the prettiest planes...

7. beryl

beryl Well-Known Member

Hornet have no balls

8. Vadim Maksimenko

Vadim Maksimenko Well-Known Member

:) Watch its aerobatics somewhere here posted. When rockets are over cannon platform steps forward with its maneuver and pilot's balls. In that respect F-18 is a more capable fighter. More of that it is a multirole platform, hence more punch from CV order in case...

9. babek-

babek- Well-Known Member

Wrong - these are not the last ones.

The IRIAF, the Air Force of the Islamic Republic of Iran is still flying 60 F-14.

Here the new iranian camouflage, introduced in the last years (photo from an air-show in Iran 2005) replacing the desert camo.

[​IMG]

Also Iran has the F-14 fighter ace with the most air-to-air kills (Major Jalal Zandi with 9 fighter kills during Iran-Iraq-War, He died very young in 2001).

10. kangaa

kangaa Well-Known Member

Do the iranian's have aircraft carriers? If not i guess you didn't listen to what they said its the last one to opperate from an aircraft carrier.

11. Vadim Maksimenko

Vadim Maksimenko Well-Known Member

12. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

F-18 is also a fuckin' turtle compared to the F-14
    and yeah - it's darn ugly

13. babek-

babek- Well-Known Member

Hey - just give us a little bit time.

We managed to keep the F14 flying. Now we can plan to get an iranaircraft carrier.

14. Red Ant

What the hell would Iran need an aircraft carrier for?? IMO the next country in the carrier club will be China.

15. Red Ant

The A-6 was a much better attack platform, and it had RANGE ... unlike the rather shortlegged Hornet. What's more, the new Hornet, the F/A-18E (Superbug) is apparently not so super. Compared to the smaller C/D models, the E seems badly underpowered. Originally the Superbug was intended as a stop gap measure until a more capable carrier-borne fighter arrived but now it seems the Hornet will be the mainstay of the Navy for a while.

16. biles

biles Well-Known Member

Which China?
    Prolly you mean the commies, right?
    I wouldn't worry too much about those fucks aspiring to project power in that manner, they seem to be projecting power via walmart much more effectively than their shitty navy. Note also:
    Japan would not welcome chink carriers anywhere near their demesne.
    Aside from some folks paranoia, chinks really ain't interested in Mahan's naval theories.
    And I may be very very wrong.
    It is no longer PC to scream about the Imminent Threat Of ChinCom World Domination... There are many [cheap crap] things manufactured there and the west is busily building up trade deficits and defeating themselves. Chinks are masters of oblique strategy.

It won't be long and they will find a way to shrink chinks, just like Vonnegut lampooned. We will be well and truly fucked when their population reaches 5 trillion.

17. heartc

heartc Well-Known Member

LOL. In case you plan to get it the way you got the F-14s, I believe you are in for a rather long wait. I don't think the US will give one as a gift to you just right now. Oh, no, wait. You mean you will build it yourself? And it will be nuclear-powered, right? Wasted effort. If you do, it will just make an interesting addition to the bottom of the Persian Gulf. Maybe the French will present one to you. They will have to build it first themselves, though, if they want to keep theirs, and might not make it on time you'll need it. Hmm. Sucks to be your ass.

18. beryl

beryl Well-Known Member

yeah, f18 can be a acrobat from circus. but it still have no balls, while F-14 is a fuckin macho-fighter. If F1-4 would be man it woud be Hulk Hogan with 30cm penis, while Hornet would be a... fuck... orlando "the pussy" bloom.

19. biles

biles Well-Known Member

What the hell this macho plane thing? I never thought that about the f-14. I thought
    1)immense
    2)expensive
    3)complicated
    F-14 is just plain obsolete. They are too big, too expensive too old and, of late, are bombers, given the nature of the conflicts the USA has been engaged they really really really shouldn't be buffs. The only reason the Yanks can get away with that is the excellence of their flight crews, support personnel and infrastructure.
    A CV has a limited amount of space. f-18 is so much more compact.
    And, the USMC use them and the USMC love them and the USMC is Pretty Fuckin Macho.... right?
    [Also, The RCAF uses them and so, of course, I am all for them, perjudiced big time ;) . I can hardly wait until we are deplying those Superhornet thingies in numbers]

Anyone who drives a 35 year old car can tell you about the constant headaches involved in mantaining the things.

Oh, and Iran?:
    You're next.

20. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member