Last of the Tomcats ...

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Red Ant, Aug 17, 2006.

1. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

I'd expect that fireing a rocket head-on has the least chance of scoring a hit, though I'm not an expert in the field of rocketry
    rockets are for pussies :)

2. babek-

babek- Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Iranian upgrade of F-5, called Azarakhsh II (Saeghe).

Here you have your double vertical stabilizers :)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  3. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Nope, actually most air-to-air missiles generate best PK's (probability of kill ... not player kill :p) when fired head-on into the face of a closing plane. Simply because this greatly decreases the distance the missile has to fly and therefore reduces the energy it'll lose while flying towards the enemy. *1
    I'm only remember this from my excessive Falcon 4.0 gaming so the figures aren't necessarily correct, but for instance the DLZ (dynamic launch zone) of an AMRAAM when fired head-on extended to something like 20+ N.M. whereas in a tail-chase scenario it could drop to as little as 7 N.M. at which point the missile is barely a BVR weapon anymore.

God I love using all those acronyms ... it makes me feel tough and cool! :cool:

*1 Of course this doesn't necessarily apply to older heat-seeking missiles, some of which are not all-aspect capable meaning they must be fired from behind the enemy in order to lock onto his engine(s).

4. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

"macho-fighter" Ha ha ha..it's not even a fighter...it's a big fat flying missle platform. No F-14 except in the movie ever had a dogfight in the traditional sense. Launching missles from 7 to 50 miles away is hardly dogfighting.

As the F18 has the same missles AND guns any real fighting bwtween the two of them and the F14 pilot is dead meat and the F14 a pile of expensive metal on the ground or under water.

Your "Hulk Hogan" is a balding old fat man with a very limp penis.....

5. looseleaf

Yeah, the Mossie was mostly plywood, so it did have a low radar profile considering also the frequencies most radars were in those years.

In fact the three fastest photo recon planes in the Euro WW2 were the
    Mossie, P38 and Arado 232/234.

I read stories about those planes meeting very high over Europe flying very fast each on its way to take snap shots. As no one had guns mounted all they could do was look at each other....

Too bad here at FH both the Mossie and the P38 are way slower than their real life counter parts.

Did you ever see that movie: "633 Squaderon" ? Cool Mossie flick....at least when I was a kid and got to see it on the big screen movie theatre...

6. Red Ant

The P-38 here matches its pusblished top speed of 420 mph pretty closely. Granted, the late L models with its uprated engines was capable of more than 420 mph, but those variants aren't modeled on Freehost.

7. Red Ant

Well ..... the Tomcat is (was) the only fighter that could fire the long-range AIM-54 Phoenix missiles. I'm not sure how effective the AIM-54 (which was designed as a bomber killer) would have been against other fighters but they certainly would have meant that the F-14 would get in the first shot against a Hornet.
    OTOH, unlike the F/A-18, the Tomcat cannot fire AMRAAMs, so that would be an advantage for the Hornet.

8. heartc

heartc Well-Known Member

Reportedly the Iranian Air Force employed the AIM-54 successfully against Iraqi Fighter targets.
    Check http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_210.shtml
    In the 1991 Gulf War, Iraqi fighters would always turn around and run as soon as recognizing the AWG-9 Tomcat radar. I remember reading multiple times how that lead to quite some frustration with the Tomcat crews. And since the F-14s were also sheduled to fly CAPs exclusively (other than the F-15s which flew Sweeps), the only air-to-air kill by F-14s in Desert Storm was a helicopter.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  9. Red Ant

Whoa, quite a few kills for the Iranian Tomcats!

10. looseleaf

So much for dogfighting and calling it a figher.....

11. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

yep, it was a strategical bomber

nooo wait, I know, it was a spy plane

noooooooooooo silly me, F-14 was the AWACS type flying radar thingie

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IT WAS A CHOPPER:
    [​IMG]

durak :dura: