Trk track file format description

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Red Ant, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Most beloved developers, :eek:

I'd like to write a little tool to view Warbirds tracks with a little more comfort than the built-in track viewer can offer. What I have in mind is something like Falcon 4's ACMI, displaying turn rates, speeds, G forces, altitudes, etc. :flyer:
    Could you guys be so nice to give me a brief but exact description of the format of the .trk files? Because without knowing the exact layout of the data, none of this is going anywhere. Pleeeeeeeze! :) :) :)

2. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    Sorry, I haven't an answer. I am only talented enough to bust things.

I would really like to do something simpler, but I don't know how to make the following work:
    I want a seperate install of FH.
    In there I want to have invisible cockpits. Using those invisible cockpits, I can then use the extview command and not be fucked over by that stupid stupid looking cockpit view bullshit stupid looking bullshit stupid bullshit cockpit thing bullshit.

3. Maletin

Maletin Well-Known Member

i believe, the track file contains nearly the network traffic between your WB-client and the FH-server.
    can't you use .startlog while playing the track?

4. graatz

graatz Well-Known Member

The problem is the FH log records only the player's attitude/position, the FH track records also other pilots' positions.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  5. Red Ant

Come on guys, please give me a sign. :mafia: I've written an email to farid, as rgreat suggested in this thread but haven't gotten any response so far. Please helllllp. :help:

6. tigrou

tigrou Well-Known Member

redant, the best way is record the flight in live with a tool, so all params will be displayed w/o lag

7. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

one squaddie wanted to code that, but disappeared after received specs...
    ayways, track is somehow closed info of fh, so i cannot give it (if i ever had it).

8. graatz

graatz Well-Known Member

the less you know the longer you live... :znaika:

9. lepper

lepper Well-Known Member

Security by obscurity:)

If i will know WB protocol between srv and client i can write program running on my unix router that replace few first packets in which server sends configuration (icon and rdr range, fueldiv, max/min fuel etc). I can cheat with this quite nice. It is even possible to change type of bullet i am firing online (imagine that - 1150 x MG151/20 in such uber like 109G2... or 8x500 kg in 190F8 (flying as normal 8x50)). And so on.... there are many posibilities.

So developers - beacouse we do not have access to WB's source code:
    PLS DO NOT PUBLISH ANY SPECIFICATIONS !!

Let them work woth tcpdump, deassemblers and other stuff like that.

Edit: small 'misstyping' corrections

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  10. Red Ant

Hey, I've already taken a very detailed look at the track files and I've also fired up Ethereal to analyze the network traffic server<=>client but hey, I'm a programmer, not a code cracker. I don't think it's quite as easy as you say, lepper. :eek:

Anyway, too bad then. :(

11. yivan

yivan Well-Known Member

Try record few short or very short tracks on TA. Use Ethreal and some video capture soft too. Compare tracks as hex.

Repeat that, turning engine on, off, firing ect ect. untill you find your 'Path of Enlightment'

12. Red Ant

Dude I'm not completely stupid. I've done that. ;) But I have yet to find a pattern. :(
    I've recorded a few tracks where I do nothing more than sit on the runway for a few seconds and then exit and repeat this with slight variations in plane loadout, fuel load, field number, plane type, etc always changing only one variable at a time ... so far it's all in vain. Maybe I will find enlightenment eventually ...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  13. yivan

yivan Well-Known Member

Dude, i saved some tracks (length about 1sec).
    Total size of trk file about 1,4 kb

Conclusions:
    • files have same headings/preamble - length 615bytes, between byte 0 and 615 u have just 6 diffrent bytes.
    • rest of file contains packets
    • each packet prob have checksum, because fhltrackplayer dont alow to play file with randomly changed byte (byte number bigger than 615)
    • next step: record packets from network and compare it to track