I always loved the look of this plane

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by rudeboy, Oct 22, 2006.

1. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

I agree. But being no match to the best fighter of its day doesn't mean it's POS.

IMO later models had too much weight and in addition pilots didn't know how to fly them. Early models (F2A-1, F2A-2) could probably turn with A6M2, outroll them and although being much worse in climb and level speed would be able to outmaneuver them easily in dives. Zeke has very heavy ailerons at speed (barely rolls at all in fast dives) and tendency to raise it's nose up when diving unless pilot constatly pushes stick forward more and more or trims it very nose heavy.

Zeke was a really good plane and none of allied iron at time was match for it in performance. P-40 and P-39 didn't have the altitude performance to combat zekes at 7km (where they usually arrived) and were mostly at disadvantage from the beginning of fights, which could explain their very bad record against A6M. Hurricane was completely outclassed by zeke (speed, climb, roll, turn etc. etc.). F4F was slower than zeke low altitudes, it turned worse at low-medium speeds and it climbed worse. The reason it was succesfull against Zekes was pilots who knew how to use it. They would fly at high altitudes (it had high ceiling) securing the initial advantage, attack by diving and then extending away in dive. Slower diving zekes were at serious disadvantage. If attacked by zekes F4Fs resorted to team tactics, weaves and such.

Actually my own opinion is that F4F is superior to A6M2 simply because of it's better dive handling and dive speed, but I know most people would disagree and fare batter in Zekes. (atleast in TR most ppl seem to avoid f4f like plague)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  2. big-jo

big-jo Well-Known Member

LOOOOOL illo, do you remember the flying jeeps at TA? :D

3. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

That tanks seems to be a bit more controllable.

4. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

32:1, is the K/D or K/(D+1)?
    either way, it doesn't better the P-61's K/D stat