collisions

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by big-jo, Sep 4, 2004.

1. big-jo

big-jo Well-Known Member

can anyone explain how system of collisions work? i thought who turned to collision were who die.....but i always try to avoid con and in colli i die always..but con still alive...... wouldn t it be better both dead in collision? so , if you are empty of ammo :turret: you can ram buff :D

2. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

NO kidding! I have always thought it was stupid raming wasnt effective! I mean IRL many german and jap fighter pilots in desperation would collide with their opponent as a last resort just in hopes it would save the home land. Yet here I am never failed to be amazed by some of the collision logic.

I have a track of me flying a g4m, a spitfire collies into my 6 with me operating the tail gun, we both die. I saved the track, if someone helps me ill post it. But the point is, that means the hosts rules of collisions isnt even working on a regular basis,

If people dont like being collided into, then they have to be more carefull. I think collsions should be allowed and both partys are killed, and maybe having fighter collision into buff equal something like a good explosion so that it wouldnt neccesarily be a PK but the plane would go down.

3. -Kharn-

-Kharn- Well-Known Member

4. gryphon

gryphon Well-Known Member

only your computer decide if u hit somthing. and do to net lagg, 2 computers can have the 2 planes in difrent spots.

like other day i pulled up infront of zeke w to disrupt his firing salotion on a friend. i was well clr of him and above him slihtly when he blew up. on his end insed of pulling up in front IT seems i flew trew him. same thing happens in ho.

On one of the computers a plane hits sooner then on other computer. the lucky gye sees a plane blow up in his face before he hit it the others in twr going "fucking colie" chnl 100. worst is lagg warp colies. when con never came close to u his end but warps threw u your end.

5. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

pls put friendly collies on for some more flaming & cussing in our peaceful online game-enviroment.. :D

6. Pikkot

Pikkot Well-Known Member

Collision is client side. So about your collision decide if on your computer you hit him. That doesn;t mean that you enemy see collie also. He could see you, lets say, 1m over his plane, so he can;t suffer collision. Reasons are: net lags, warps, etc.

Btw.Heard about some Spitfire pilot who saw ju88 closing in Backingham Palace over Thames. When he run out of ammo he decided to ram ju88's tail fins (vstabs). He missed and his wind just cuted 88's tail. Both planes crashed. Some cameras caught whole action. Spit pilote has lived that.

7. big-jo

big-jo Well-Known Member

@jacobe: yeah, and so we won t se more stupids situations like 10 reds chasing a gold or viceversa

@Pikkot: wasn t it a 110 rammed by hurri?

8. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

C'mon- gangbangers rule... I remember diving on a bunch of reds chasing one gold (8 or 9 of them)... before my 109G2R6 was shot down 4 reds fell down as a result of 1-2seconds burst of 3xMG151... was fun as hell :)

9. big-jo

big-jo Well-Known Member

that happened to me too, but i had 109g14..... and by fucking dispersion i only killed 2 i think :D

10. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

I think its funnier to sneak up behind a close flock of gang bangers and spray around them....They disperse like fircrackers popping of the ground.....never seen so much random acts of useless manoovering ever! It just made one turbo mega ultra warp....

11. ppedott_vibora

ppedott_vibora Well-Known Member

:) friendly collisions is impossible in WB AFAIK...

A question: in a situation where one pilot have higher ping (ms) than other, is there some handicap? I mean, the pilot which get higher ping is in disadvantage (irk! sry bad eng) ? If yes, how much?

12. ledada

ledada Well-Known Member

collisions & pings

hi viiiboooraaaa :)

well, the opinions go far, when you read the old books.
    it started when they wondered, if the people of jericho would heard the trumpets earlier than the trumpeteer saw the walls tumblin down. and josh never asked...

however, i don't think, ping has to do with collies. but speed of the involved planes, imo:

collisions and netlag

Last edited: Sep 7, 2004
  13. ppedott_vibora

ppedott_vibora Well-Known Member

Hi led!!!!! how many time!!!!! :)))

I was wondering not about collis, properly, but about the entire interaction (sry bad eng) between two players, in HO's and so on... for example, in a HO, a pilot w/ good ping get an advantage over a bad ping pilot?

@karn: nice link... kool animations... :)

14. ledada

ledada Well-Known Member

hi vibora,

well, so collisions are probably excellent to study interactions (imo good english... honi soit qui mal pense :)), for they have the most undoubtful result :)
    maybe the title of the link is irritating, it goes to a discussion/poll/etc 2 years ago here in the forum (and to be honest, it links in concrete to my contribution, errhm... don't miss the abstract illustration i added two posts later :cool: )

anyway, i believe, the only advantage which might be in a high ping is the fact, that the hi-ping-pilot knows about it, whereas probably his opponents assume an average ping (so he can calculate the delay better).
    in ho's both pilots have to calculate the same netlag-induced distance/time-delays, from six the hunter will always see himself nearer to the target than the target him! that may be considered as advantage regarding high pings, but still the discrepance between them both is always relative to the summarized pings. so the advantage would mainly be again the knowledge about one's own high ping.

in all cases it ends with 'peng!' (if no peace-treaty will end the fight :))

15. mumbls

mumbls Member

If collisions are client side, how come I still run into things when I evade at d1 and am looking at the con and watch him pass by at d 0.5? Did the con warp into me and I not get to see him hit me? What's that all about?

16. big-jo

big-jo Well-Known Member

ahh...i love the necrophagos

17. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Well it seems all the explanations so far say the whatever rules have been porgrammed into the game , they are subject to the near randomness of netlag relative to each player and the host server.

If there can be no protocol of packet distribution/exchange when two planes approach to a certain distance then either you have both planes collide and die or you have both planes not collide and die.

1 person likes this.
  18. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

thanks
    we've been waiting for this 3 years
    <S>

19. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

I agree, that would be the fairest solution.

20. ledada

ledada Well-Known Member

no, it wouldn't!
    if you read the articles and old links again, you will see, that the system of client-side decision gives disadvantage to the one who GOES for the ram. trying to avoid a collision is in general rewarded by not colliding - the opponent may do so though.

not having collisions at all would degrade any sim to a low level. having both died will probably result in more collisions (or collisions as an always successful opportunity to bring down a con). those who want it, can be sure to have much more results, even if the con evades.

ping and netlag are NOT responsible for unexpected survivings or deaths, they are only the circumstances for having a system, which still aims for having the rammer dead and the evader alive.
    host-side decision would be much more ping-sensitive, to the disadvantage of pilots trying to evade a collision. host-side decisions require a much more equal ping-distribution and general lower pings.

1 person likes this.