1848 - For Liberty - a review, kinda...

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by rudeboy, May 8, 2007.

1. rudeboy

rudeboy Well-Known Member

Game. Army level. Units breakdown into regiments. 25 km hexes.
    Hungary!

1848!
    [zipped file 112 mB]

I don't know much about the land, except what I learned in High School. Which is to say, not much. Okay, it is where 'bohunks' come from. But then again, I can name ten other lands where 'bohunks' are said to come from [fuck off, you know who you are]
    Oh sure, Hungary was part of Greater Austria, right??????
    I know where that is. Okay! Now it all is in some sort of context.
    Right.
    Greater Austria had some places it ruled over in The Balkans.
    OH!
    Bosnia.
    :dunno:
    [for you who have NO IDEA - if you can find Europe on a map and you can, further, find The Balkans, look around there for a couple minutes [if you know how to read] and you will see, tucked in there, nearby [on a map it is nearby], Hungary]

Anyway.
    I am struggling with a strategic wargame that is put together, I think, very very well. The game was commissioned by a government Ministry Of Education or something, in, yeah, Hungary.
    I think they did a fine job and the game should assist grade School Students in that land greatly in getting some idea of the scope of operations during their revolution.
    Me? I really ain't interested in Hungary qua Hungary. Never was. I do find Historically Based tabletop wargames a great way of learning some of the history of a land that I otherwise would not be motivated to, like, say, Hungary. And chicken. Yum.
    The map screen seems very busy and a lot of micro-management of units is needed to keep things organized and some reviewers were quite bitchy. It is free, it is very very difficult and it is too, quite attractive AND I am going to learn a LOT about Austria and Hungary and, uh, Bolivia....
    Okay, I DO know what Chicken Paprikash is..... When I was about four years old, that was the thing that put, for me, Hungary on my "Map Of Cool Places."
    Later was some nice red wine too.

I sure wish I could pronounce the names of the towns and cities presented in the game. I can't. But I soon will.

There were some guys here, a couple years back who were playing something called W.I.F. [World In Flames]. I would like to see some after action reports from you guys and also, could you re-post the links for where I can get rules and a file to print so I can have counters and a map?
    I now have access to a printer and ALL THE COLOUR INK and paper I can possibly use [JOY JOY]
    Oh, and, um, yeah, you guys who were playing that game, you are the ones I am thinking of in the posting of this post.
    Thing.

Hussar Games [marketed by Matrix Games]
    1848 - For Liberty

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  2. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

so i was like, um, thinking that, you know, we should talk about, like, the matrix again

3. rudeboy

If you have ever played a tabletop wargame you surely will have seen 'hit tables.'
    I think the name 'matrix' is eminently suitable when used as a trademark in wargames publishing.
    Don't you?
    My rhoids are itchy. be back after dealing with them. And then washing up.

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  4. rudeboy

Hey, ain't you from someplace near Hungary? Uh. Bolivia, right? No, wait. You are Uzbek.... close enough.
    Wait.
    Uh.
    Sorry, I was confused there for a minute and had to go check something. Uzbekistan is in the middle east right?
    Well, anyway, Euros might be interested in this game thing. Euros are interested in other parts of the world, right?

5. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

cool game

more power to ya bro

6. Fucketeer

Fucketeer Banned

Eh, um, I is kinda, like LMAO!

7. glucose

glucose Well-Known Member

Did ja download it? I think it is large for a person who has dial-up. but for someone with broadband, it is a little blip in time.

I am getting my ass handed to me on a plate by the AI.

I can just imagine a load of school kids who have been told to learn the mechanics of the game and then they fire it up in the classroom. Jeez, I wish we had stuff like this when I was a schoolboy.

yeah, uh, ghandi, tell me what you think once you have played for a bit....

ANyone familiar with General Washington's campaign around New York?
    7 battles, he lost every one of them and WON THE CAMPAIGN, the British had to leave New York and there winter bivouac was exactly where Washinton wanted it, he wound up with interior lines and the British exterior. I have always admired that General, he saw a big picture and drove his army toward a strategic situation that was eminently favourable to the rebellion.

In this game, it is possible to be pushed all over by the opponent, to seem to lose and yet wind up winning. I am gonna order the others in the commercialpackage, one of which is the Colonial Rebellion in British North America.
    In retrospect, it is easy to see why and how the colonists prevailed, but it must have seemed a 'near run thing,' to American Patriots....
    Near run thing for Hungarian patriots also, right? But this I will have to read more about.

8. Perdomo

Perdomo Well-Known Member

Heya Bil... ermm Glucose, I was one of those playing WiF, Aser was the other one, can't remember if there was anyone else... I have some "after action" reports, but they are in spanish, I can however link to some pages with some nice ones in english, and also with rules.

I will check tomorrow, and then post them (yes, almost 0100 here, and I am a sleepy and lazy bastard).

9. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

bravo, thats quite an achievement already for someone from your part of the world [no sarcasm here]

really!? paprikash is hungarian!!? lol, never thought of that.

really, so strange to hear such a mommy's word from an english-speaker!

Its a myth. They pretend better, but... not really. Maybe, as long as cheap property price and nice weather are concerned. ...No, not really.

10. rudeboy

Lady next door made big pots of stuff from someplace "over there," across the sea, from "the old country."
    The old country pot of stuff isn't always a food, sometimes it is foods and sometimes it is from countRIES.
    She made all kinds of neat stuff, like Apple Strudel, a Bolivian desert, wonderful stuff and these pancakes with butter and maple syrup, she used to called them "Pancakes with butter and maple syrop." mmmm. I love ethnic cooking.

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  11. rudeboy

:shuffle:...........

:shuffle:.........

12. rudeboy

And, um, I read esperanto alright, I suppose I could handle Spanish.
    No, really.
    There are so many cognates we share and then there are the others.
    It's the others I have to look up. But I may be able to get the gist of the thing.
    Spanish is oneof those languages sophomores recommend to freshmen who need to study a language, "Hey man, try Spanish, it's easy!"
    "Eh, gringo, partake estud d'espaniol, mondo seista eschule, hehe."

13. rudeboy

Oh yeah. And another. I been playin the Hungarian side. And I can't win.
    I am thinkin,what the fuck?

hehe.
    Okay. Time to Learn Somethin About The COuntry You Proclaimed No Interest In Other Than It's Foods:
    The Hungarian Patriots were defeated in their efforts to wrench off the yoke of the austrians.
    It was all dastardly shit, man. Fuck.
    Poles were in it from up,over there and then the fuckin Russians invaded with a multitude.
    Jeeeezus, my heart is really, like, goin out to those poor fuckin Hungarians, right now.
    But, it would also seem the hard fight they gave forged a nation from a people.
    Fuckin right Hungary!
    What a great fuckin story of that place, which I had to, like read, becuase you can't just, well, read about a couple years of a place and it's people, right? I mean, that would be like only havin three of the nine ingredients that go into a certain type of cake....
    Uh.
    Again, WTG Hungary!

Wargames is bil uh, rudeboy's way of learnin geography.
    Click here

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  14. jebac

jebac Well-Known Member

Here take motrin, I know it hurts :D

15. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

This part of the world has too much history, sometimes makes your head pain. and your eyes weep.

Poetry too.

16. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Biles, have you tried out the TOAW (The Operational Art Of War) series (you probably have)? That should be right up your alley.

17. rudeboy

heya.
    Long time ago, 90s, I did try some TOAW. I didn't like it and not for any other reason than, "Whoa, this is too muckin fuch."
    I have just download a demo of TOAW3 and it is just so cool.
    Nice to know that games change from version to version as well as me, as a person, changing my tastes from decade to decade.

18. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

some games changing ain't exactly good ;)

19. deadmeat

deadmeat Banned

Some fine-tasting food from Hungary:

David Schwarz - invention of the airship with aluminium construction, after he died a german guy bought the design, the name of this guy was Ferdinand von Zeppelin

Oscar Asboth - invention of helicopter

Edward Teller - invention of nuke

Janos Neumann - invention of computer

pretty nice food aint it? ;)

20. deadmeat

deadmeat Banned

Nah, and btw, ya sure heard the word "hun" ... this word came from a sausage that was made by Attila the Hun to break into the Roman Empire by causing nuclear farts out of the guards ass...(note: the Roman Empire was NOT near Bolivia, was in Europe, Europe is that large peninsula west of Asia, and the Roman Empire was at the south of it. Erm...the whole bloody continent was Roman. Europe is on planet Earth, in the Solar System, planet Earth includes Hungary and Europe, Bolivia and South America and many interesting places for tourists who have unlimited cash but limited mental capabilities and an overview of the world bordered at his backyard.)

Ambrose Bierce is one of my favorites. He died, better say disappeared in a similar revolution in Mexico, very-very east of Hungary and some north of Bolivia...he was a writer, not a cook.

1 person likes this.