Kuma War

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by rudeboy, May 10, 2007.

1. rudeboy

rudeboy Well-Known Member

Some online game supposed to be free. Looks like JAFPS [just another first person shooter].
    Looks even, kinda interesting. Some stuff in there about Afghanistan and Iraq and 'The War On Terror.'
    I spent a long time downloading a bunch of stuff and then I clicked on 'play' and spend 40 more minutes downloading some more stuff and then tried it and it seemed okay. Then I tried it this morning and waited 40 more minutes for some more stuff downloaded, funny, that, it was the same scenario I had tried the night before.
    And then I get a REAAAAAL SLOOOOOW MACHIIIINE [I mean my son got a REAAAL SLOOOW MACHINE, actually].
    DAMN!
    Any you guys tried it?
    Another multigig download [which I have to pay for - extra, I am only allowed so much per day] that went WOOSH into the trashbin.
    Which is a drag, because it looked okay.
    I suppose it is full of nasty scripts and spyware and such and maybe that is why SLOOOOW MACHIIIINE? I dunno. Kid here is pissed off I used his windows box to download something [I don't use windows in my 'former games machine'].
    Hell, I can take the computer I BOUGHT THAT KID back anytime.

Anyways, any you guys tried it? Is there ways of makin it work without crawling? Is it full of spyware?
    I don't give a shit about the fact it might be a propoganda tool. I am close to 50 now and ain't gonna go off and join the army becuase I watched some fuckin video game. But I do really enjoy playing at war, always have. Wargamers, we used to be called, back in the day we used big paper maps and little tiny pieces of cardboard and dice and such.

I might just go, today, to a town nearby and get an actual PAPER box with a PAPER map and PAPER counters and a boklet of instructions and play a wargame that even works when the electricity is shut off [which ios coming, belive me, I been so fuckin broke lately - I gotta get off The Crack - hehe]

2. JamesV

JamesV Member

i didnt like its more for the higher state comps. I tried it walked like 5 steps forward before deinstalling it.

problems
    1.lag
    2.downloading something everyday for 40 minutes isnt that healthy for a crappy comp
    3.You guys might like a game called soldat just google

3. reuben

reuben Well-Known Member

rudeboy might wanna try:

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
    Cube / Cube 2
    Americas Army
    World of Padman
    Nexuis

all FPS's that are linux native or ports
    I tried padman which is like quake 3 but cartoon guys and paintballguns and water balloons and really good made. Online or 'botmatches'
    I tried wolf ET too, but it ONLY has online mode

or just google 'linux games', you can find a 'test' of some linux games at techgage , but Im too lazy too supply the link.

techgage.com\somethign or the other , I guess ;)

4. Jeruwa

Jeruwa Well-Known Member

Cube and Cube2 (Sauerbraten) are shit IMHO... UT-wannabe q2 based shooter....
    Kuma, however, is even bigger shit ^^

Americas Army is decent, but its linux version is HELL outdated and, therefore, unplayable...

Grab dosbox and play some classics like Gunship 2000 :D :D :D Way more entertaining :]

5. jotaceTOGA

jotaceTOGA Well-Known Member

I saw on kuma war site that you can download these packages direct from the site instead of downloading from the game.

6. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

A game about wars on terror I like to play:
    http://www.underash.net

Might not have so fancy graphics but pretty good result for something made in a bomb shelter, no?
    and has minimum requirements.

But beware, game is tough!

7. rudeboy

rudeboy Well-Known Member

Yep.It some demo of it is on the boy's machine next to me. Yep I have played it. yep, IT IS VERY TOUGH.
    The boy has a much better time of it because his eye/mouse coordination is way better than mine.

I tell ya, being pinned down by a squad of IDF infantry can really cramp a guy's playing style.

8. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

or emule Hesbollah's game "Special Forces". I am waiting until after I return from US, becaues i'll be taking my laptop there.

seems it has been removed from the web, there are only mentions by third parties. Here is the internet back-up of their site:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20050105091655/www.specialforce.net/english/indexeng.htm

9. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

10. Scarle

Scarle Active Member

America's Army is good but if your comp can't handle Kuma War, it won't handle AA. If you search "list of free online fps" on wikipedia you get a decent list. I rarely ever buy commercial games (bought Pacific Fighters - only purchase in last 6 years), so I'm always looking for decent freeware. www.gamehippo.com is a good site to try.

The other day I downloaded Warrock, which is a free Korean clone of BF2. I'm trying to fix some lag issues but it looks very promising. Of course the air combat modelling is a joke, but what do you expect?

Savage: Battle for Newerth - another good freeware FPS. It used to be commercial but was released free to promote a sequel. Interesting because it is a combination of RTS and FPS genres.

Tremulous - Game similar to Natural Selection, made on the Quake 3 public license so it's standalone. It's a Marines vs. Aliens type of game, but has elements of RTS also. Fun, but needs more maps IMO.

One question: Does Kuma War have online multiplayer and if so how is it?

EDIT: Soldat as previously mentioned is a very good freeware game. It's not FPS but it is animated very smoothly with attention to detail. Plus it will run on crappy PCs.

Last edited: May 13, 2007