The Saitek Help Page

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software' started by Scarle, May 10, 2007.

1. Scarle

Scarle Active Member

Since I've long been a user of Saitek joysticks, and it has taken me a long time to get them to work properly with Warbirds, I thought I'd make a page for any future members who need help configuring their joystick for Warbirds.

1. No matter what joystick you're using DOWNLOAD the Saitek Smart Technology software from the saitek website (www.saitek.com). It can be found bundled under the appropriate driver downloads for your particular model of joystick. You MUST select "Advanced User" when installing the drivers or else SST will not install.

2. Use the SST Profiler software to assign buttons to WB commands via keyboard bindings. For example I set my primary hatswitch to the Numpad keys so I can use it for views. Warbirds for some reason is not fully compatible with Saitek joysticks so certain buttons, even though you programmed them, do not work in game, or their assignment has been completely switched to another function.

3. Make sure, in Keyboard Setup setup, that whatever keyboard buttons you bound to your joystick using SST, they are exactly the same in the game. If F is what Fire Gunsis set as in the game, you must bind the same key to your joystick button/trigger or else you will end up performing an entirely different action when you pull that trigger.

4. In the Joystick Setup section of the game setup window, make sure ALL functions are set to a command that has no affect in game (for example Zoom in function, or Use Stick Set 1). The reason is that if you set the function to "None" Warbirds has an annoying tendency of reverting the button back to its default setting for absolutely no reason. (There might be a way to combat this by making config file read-only but I haven't looked into it) You are using your keyboard, via SST to perform all ingame functions, therefore binding joystick commands in game will only conflict with your SST bindings.

5. Experiment. It literally took me hours to be able to set everything up the way I wanted, partially because Warbirds has the most annoying setup ever (keys reverting to default, keys not able to use for certain commands). One problem you might encounter, that I did was that if you set your trigger (or other button) to press two buttons at once in SST (I use it to fire guns and cannon at the same time) there may be some conflict issues and it will seem like the game is fighting over which command to use with an end result of your guns firing at a choppy rate. I have no idea how i fixed this problem because I rebound the F and B keys exactly the same way I did originally. It seems the problem took care of itself, but you may have to experiment to get it right.

Well that's about it. If anyone has any other tips/suggestions feel free to contribute to the thread. If you are looking to buy a HOTAS joystick/throttle combo, I strongly recommend the Saitek x36, x45, x52 models as they have a mode selector switch which allows you to alternate between pre-programmed stick sets so for planes like p-51, you can have the trigger fire both sets of guns, but if you switch to a p-39 or 109K, you can change stick sets so that the guns and cannon are assigned to different buttons.

See you in the sky~

2. drklrd

drklrd Member

Scarle, unfortunetly, SAITEK, for the HOTAS setup is only carring the X52 and X52Pro. I have all three that you've mentioned and prefer the X45 over all of them. Also, good point about the SST, that is needed with the X36 and X45. The 52 however, isn't truly needed, you can program it direct without the SST.

<SALUTE>

3. Scarle

Scarle Active Member

I'm not sure if x52 has built in mode and multi-function programming, but if it doesn't, SST will still be useful if you want to switch stick sets or program advanced functions. I have the x36 and 3d Cyborg Gold, and both need SST to work with WB, but for other games I still use SST for its advanced programming capability. The x36 and x45 models even though they have been discontinued you can find off eBay for good prices. I got my x36 for only $25+$20 for shipping. Personally I think I would prefer the x52 because I am more used to twist rudder, but I am not willing to pay the pricetag at the moment. Does the x45 have a better rudder paddle than x36 or is it the same? I found the x36 rudder control to be too stiff so if you try to make a small adjustment you can over-input by accident because of the amount of force required.

4. skhawk

skhawk Well-Known Member

Probably you might have solved the problem till now but in order to make the keys not return to their original values you should bind them to "foster mount view". I think its the only command that it doesnt change.

Many people including me had the same problem.
    Check this and search also the forum.

Regarding x45, it has the rudder on the HOTAS. I dont know where the rudder is in x36 but the x45 rudder is probably as stiff as in x36. At least it was hard for me to make precise movements in the beggining. Now ive get used to it and it doesnt bother me......

If ud like config files for sst and warbirds for X45 PM me.

5. seaman

seaman New Member

I am very new player (I hope so %)) , and unfortunately I have bought Saitek Cyborg Evo Force to play it.
    It is impossible to install official SST software on my system (XP64) and original CD even does not run on XP64, so I have to download fresh drivers and SST, and run it as admin.
    Installer says: "Now installing:"
    and so, it installs magic devices, but not the SST software!
    Beta drivers from their forum resolved this problem, installer says: "Now installing: SST software", and it works :cheers:

But I have big problem with it - it seems that it is impossible to center that stick! I center it in windows, than in warbirds and at last with f12 but no success :joystick:
    Is it normal to fight with airplane at takeoff and in flight? :help: :help:

thanks