Windows Vista and FH Warbirds

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by looseleaf, Jul 4, 2007.

1. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Well , they finally did it.....

I'm given a company computer and the d**n thing has Vista.

Now is there any way to run FH on vista?

Do I have to get an old Win2000pro(using FAT32)?

Any way to run FH under any Linux version?

What's this thing I heard about "xwindows" ?

I think I'm doomed.

2. Lesiu

Lesiu Well-Known Member

I managed to run FH under linux (gentoo and ubuntu) using quemu, but... There is no joystick support yet. Currently I don't have time to test, however I'll try to force FH to work with wine (I have tried before but it was a failure).

Windows vista suck - it is too early for this system, and users are beta testers. I'll wait a year and then maybe I'll give a try and install vista.

3. -redw-

-redw- Well-Known Member

4. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

A company computer? WTF, you play WB at work?? Gimme the phone number of your boss please. :p

5. looseleaf

ha ha ha.... I could tell you, but then they would have to kill you....

It's a portable........

6. looseleaf

OH YES.

VISTA SUCKS ALRIGHT

7. skycpt

skycpt Well-Known Member

It being FAT32 or NTFS shouldnt matter. My XP is NTFS and FH runs fine.
    FH on Linux? I've never heard of Anyone getting FH to work online. Offline they report no problems but online is no dice. Several threads in forum about that one. As for Vista? Dont know yet, I'll have a better idea in about 2 weeks when I get my new notebook. But it will only be a test since all of my rigs are on the joystick port.

8. looseleaf

NTFS is known to be buggy and it's only a matter of time and odds that a NTFS system crashes. It WILL crash.

NTFS and windows NT was banned where I used to work.

USAAF and US Navy have stopped using windows (NT).
    They have gone to Linux.

After a US Navy guided missile frigate stopped dead in the water in the north Atlantic and had to be towed to port, they shit-canned Windows NT.
    All the systems were running on NT and when it crashed the ship lost ALL control, no engine, no rudder, no missiles, no air conditioning....

9. Lesiu

Lesiu Well-Known Member

You heard only rumors.

NTFS is buggy, and eventually will crash.

FH under linux as I mentioned - I used qemu with win98 emulation (in fact it is win98 installed and run under linux) - worked fine in 2d, but joy control is still missing, so...

You see, there is no other option for linux than win emulation, no matter what are you using. Wine, for example, uses windows libraries. But it is kinda fun to see microsoft system working in window ;-)

10. rudeboy

rudeboy Well-Known Member

Wow. I was mistaken. [not sarcasm] I thought the US NAvy foreswore ANY MS OSes to guide vessels, weapons sytems and cetera, a LONG LONG TIME AGO.
    I was led to believe there was some Open Source OS doing that sort of thing on their vessels...... [apparently is true, now... called RTOS]
    MS OSes being used to guide such important systems is just fuckin crazy-stupid!!! Never mind excuses like, "Oh it is just the kernel."
    If it ain't possible to hack the code, then you wind up getting a package of shit and unable to clean it up. USN has plenty of talent capable of hacking shit out of a kernel source and they should be doing just that.
    There is no or little need for much of the code contained in NT's kernel when it comes to guiding ships and weapons.
    I know, I know.

And one other thing.
    A long time ago, I read some crap in exceprts fromthe GNU liscence concerning use of [I can't remember exactly] stuff copyrighted under GNU for WAR.
    Did they strike the sections pertaining to warmongering and it is now all okay?
    [Long time ago, Lego used to like to brag that none of their construction kits were warlike or portraying war and one day, a number of years ago, I noticed a war thing lego on a store shelf and promptly lost ANY faith in capitalists as moralist.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  11. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

a guy i know said france is using windows on its FELIN (google it) because... linux had problems with stuff 'talkin to each other'

he also said some 'royal families' are usin windows on new securitay systems in the middle east

[​IMG]

12. looseleaf

Yup, these are modern times. War is good business except for the ones on the front lines...

Here's an old link to the story:

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/ArticleID/18007/18007.html?Ad=1

Also you may want to do some reading from Smedley Butler:

http://www.lexrex.com/enlightened/articles/warisaracket.htm

One of his writings is on the internet and you can read his book for free.

"War is a Racket"

Major General, USMC, TWICE Medal of Honor recipient!!!!!

Now that is Semper Fi magna cum laude

13. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. FranzAugust

FranzAugust Well-Known Member

rolandgarros is running wb with linux system.

probably with vista too.

15. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

yup, rolandgarros knows how to run

16. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

With the version WarBirds being as old as it is here....a person is best dedicating a machine like this computer maybe. Pretty cheap way to go.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  17. rudeboy

No need to spend 289.00 [U.S.D] on a box to play warbirds. JEEZUS.
    For 289.00 [U.S.D] I can buy a brand new box.
    Little mom and dad shop not far fromme I can get a fuckin decent box for that kind of money.
    Somewhere, you should be able to find a 200 mHz P2 or the equivalant sitting, being used as a doorstop, or down at the St Vincent De Paul. get the fucker for 5 bucks.
    Sorry, ALW.
    I would sell the poor bastard the P2 sitting next to me for the cost of a fuckin courier delivery, except for the fact I been using it as a really shitty old file server... It stores dirty pictures as good as the next and I don't give a fuck if it breaks. I found it in a garbage bin.

18. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

I see. You're full of bleach. Move away....you're making my eyes burn. [​IMG]

19. rudeboy

That said, the moral to this story is:
    The poor guy should buy, for cheap, an old box and use it for to play older games.
    I am thinking about setting the old P2 up for to try warbirds again. I kinda miss calling players very very bad things on channel 100 and getting shot down EVERY SINGLE TIME I ENGAGE.
    hehe.

20. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

HEY! I still have that image of your snoopy plane climbing behind me like mad, with my E all out and seeing my streak shattered in the next few seconds :p