Do we need night in FH?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Papa, Mar 21, 2002.

?

Do we need night in FH?

1. Yes, i want fly in dark!

24 vote(s)
    51.1%
  2. NO! Only days' fights!

19 vote(s)
    40.4%
  3. HZ (wHo nowZ?)

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

3d
    now who has the advantage?

Attached Files:

• 3d.jpg
      3d.jpg
      File size:
      24.3 KB
      Views:
  2. gahis

gahis FH Sound Developer

we need atleast one gold, and one red plane with ATA rdr ((110g, mossie, F4U-4, ju-88))

also I belive these plane had ATG rdr ((b17, b24, ju88, he177))

I dont know if it possible to land in dark, im oign to try it in 2d and 3d tonight after work using maybe F1 maps, If I can land at night with no .showdata in 2D, nic can ;)

BTW, you type .time 0 for night?? makes it midnight?? Cause to have night before, I left warbirds run for 5-6 hours, LOL

3. JG13 Viddav

JG13 Viddav Well-Known Member

...Interesting. I just did some experimenting. If you type

.time 5 20

you get conditions approximating what I would imagine a full moon night to be (very little definition on the ground, AC sihlouetted against the sky). With icons off, it is almost impossible to pick up the buff; range only, you can pick up the buff, but have to be very close in to see it; and arena default, one can use the icon for targeting (you may not see the target, but lay a spread of fire in the middle of the icon and nose foreward).

However, as I expected, otto still picks you up at D10. So logically, 2-3 buffs flying in anything even approximating formation would be lethal to any attacking AC. I am assuming that the otto online is at least as deadly as the offline otto.

Please note that in the experiment, I started with .time 0, then adjusted by hour. .Time 6 is quite the bright dawn, and .time 0 is near complete blackness; however, there is little if any difference between .time 0 and .time 5.

I have just managed to confuse myself...guess I'll just go to work now...

4. -nicae-

yeah LOL!!

.time hh mm

.time 0 works for getting midnight

5. Apocalyps

Apocalyps Well-Known Member

Wow , another function i didn't know about. Just had a six second flight offline in 2d at night :)

6. CBFASI

CBFASI Active Member

I do like the idea of night combat but it has few drawbacks some of which have been mentioned.

Ottos would have to be disabled.
    (before you yell WHAT, the human version has to be set up)

This is because otto distances have NO relation to visual distances.

Airbourne radar for the hunters and defenders would need to be worked in as this was present for most of the war even though its was in its infancy.

7. Perdomo

Perdomo Well-Known Member

I have just been trying night offline, using that .time 0 command. And I can say that I could really see, it wasn't hard to see the difference between ground and structures on it,so bombing is possible, and, even though it was impossible to see the airplane, it was possible to see the icon, and shooting towards the icon, even a newbie as I am can shot down buffs.

Of course it's harder, but if I can, you experienced guys should be able to do it, and ottos, yes, they're a little problem, but on a one on one engagement they don't cause too much trouble, of course, fighting three buffs with a single fighter is nearly impossible (at least for me), but, isn't it impossible at daylight too? (at least for me once again :D ).

Another question would be the fact that 2d players would have it harder, I've only tried it 3d, and if players with 2d can't see, then I would say that night shouldn't be used, coz it would leave some players out of the fun, and that's not fair :nono: , but if 2d players can see.... then I'm for the night scenario.

Here's the image I got at midnight.

8. Perdomo

I have just been trying night offline, using that .time 0 command. And I can say that I could really see, it wasn't hard to see the difference between ground and structures on it,so bombing is possible, and, even though it was impossible to see the airplane, it was possible to see the icon, and shooting towards the icon, even a newbie as I am can shot down buffs.

Of course it's harder, but if I can, you experienced guys should be able to do it, and ottos, yes, they're a little problem, but on a one on one engagement they don't cause too much trouble, of course, fighting three buffs with a single fighter is nearly impossible (at least for me), but, isn't it impossible at daylight too? (at least for me once again :D ).

Another question would be the fact that 2d players would have it harder, I've only tried it 3d, and if players with 2d can't see, then I would say that night shouldn't be used, coz it would leave some players out of the fun, and that's not fair :nono: , but if 2d players can see.... then I'm for the night scenario.

Here's the image I got at midnight.

9. Perdomo

mmmmm

changing the size has made it a little bit darker :confused: , sorry guys, but playing it, it was easier to see the ground structures

10. gahis

gahis FH Sound Developer

I just went offline and did a few landings in night time in 3d and 2d, I had no problems shooting down bombers, and landing, Its actully nice to fly at night, ground in black, sky is grey.

I vote a big time yes for night, If I can land a zero, vf109g2, 109g10 at night in 2d mode, anybodu can with a few tries, you want realism, now thats realism

11. -nicae-

we wouldnt have icons in night.. would we? :eek:

12. JG13 Viddav

JG13 Viddav Well-Known Member

Well, in a simulation without Bordfunkers or AI operators, little or no hope for close control radar, Otto gunners equipped with night vision goggles, radar guided defensive firepower and telescopes, and a subzero chance of finding anyone to sit in the tower and try to vector the gold dots to the red dots, we'd have to have something.

Now, if you could do a range only icon that is visible from a historically relevant distance (rougly D30) but disappears about, say, D5, that would almost approximate the distance at which airborne radar was useful in real life.

By the same token, Otto would have to be blinded to about D2/D3, more to keep the defensive fire near the realm of reality than anything else. Most of the night bombers never got off a shot. Don't blind otto, just take away his NVG.

The Norden would have to go. I am not reccommending 100% realistic conditions for the bombsight (or else we'd have to have 1,000 buffs to take out a small field), but it would have to be more difficult to acheive dramatic results from a single bomber.

And as to the plane set, see my previous post (page one, I think--almost a whole new set for one scenario).

Trust me, folks, I would love to see a night fighter scenario stretching from the Battle of Britain to the Battle of Berlin. I just don't see how it could be done without an inordinate amount of work by those to whom we owe much already.

But it would be grand...

13. gahis

gahis FH Sound Developer

no, we'd have iocns on, just makes sneaking easyer