Bad joke Spitfire Mk.Vb

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by fatale, Jan 29, 2006.

1. thug

thug Well-Known Member

Only dweebs fly spits :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Vadim Maksimenko

Vadim Maksimenko Well-Known Member

If you want to know, what IS a bad joke, take He-177 and try to glide it.

3. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

What is the glide ratio of a He-177 ?

4. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

bad, considered you'll be doing circles left all the time

5. Vadim Maksimenko

It does not glide at all. If you out of fuel or with dead engines, you are dead. With disposition of -15 to horizon it... stalls.

6. looseleaf

It was designed to dive bomb or at least nearly dive bomb.

One of the tactics was to fly high over target, turn around and in a steep glide path drop bombs and "glide" from 20,000 feet and keep a 400mph speed to run away from fighters.

Of course this would go on to about 2,500 feet. Hopefully fighters would not follow all the way.

They did have a tendency to catch fire and the Luftwaffe called it the "Riech cigarette lighter".

I'm surprized that only 1,106 were built.

Maybe they should exchange it for a He111?

7. Vadim Maksimenko

Problem is not with He-177 as a plane, but with its bullshit flight model that has nothing in common with aerodynamics. Having in mind He airframe it should have been a superior glider. In the game it is a brick.

And who will guarantee that He-111 will not be made as one more unflyable bullshit?

8. rudeboy

rudeboy Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is argument. I don't write it to be argument. I am trying to augment what is said, not insult anyone. I am in a great mood, [The Great SPaghetti Monster *] has smiled on me the past few days and I love everyone. Well, mostly....

I don't think that overly heavy four engined bomber would have been a 'superior glider' by any stretch of the imagination.
    I suppose it could glide, yeah. I think most airplanes can. [When on fire, ALL gliders suffer certain time-critical performance limits]

The much vaunted German Industrial/Technical Superiority [when hobbled by the leadership of nazi goons with house-cat like intellects] was a unfounded, a myth. The yanks were the best at that sort of thing, you know, the techniques for making of stuff in large numbers, with technical co-operation between competitors, exchange of important techniques, paying workers with real money, not banishing or gassing their talent; engineers, physicists and technicians, ad nauseaum.....
    Else the 177 would/could have been excellent without a doubt, the idea was sound and the potential was excellent, IF HEINKEL HAD BEEN ALLOWED TO USE THEIR IN-SHOP GENIUS [just look at the wonderful fake champagne they make now-a-days! Lovely stuff. Amazing that a producer of war machines could so easily convert back to their original racket: the making of champagne-like drinks, eh?]

War winning strategic situation for The Allies was, right from the very beginning [they didn't know it though] the axis leadership.

The He-177 was heavy. It does appear it might have made a slightly better glider than the B-29. Although, again, gliders do not fair too well when they are burning. Neither plane made a very good burning glider.

He-177
    # Loaded weight: 31,000 kg (68,340 lb)
    # Wing loading: 319.9 kg/m² (65.6 lb/ft²)
    # Power/mass: 110 W/kg (0.067 hp/lb)

B-29
    # Loaded weight: 120,000 lb (54,000 kg)
    # Wing loading: 69.12 lb/ft² (337 kg/m²)
    # Power/mass: 0.073 hp/lb (121 W/kg)

[​IMG]

Nevermind.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  9. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

maybe the 177 could have been excellent too if they were allowed to export it to canada back then

10. rudeboy

rudeboy Well-Known Member

Nah, Canadians would have fucked it up. The flight manulas would have been tri-lingual, the fuckin thing would have been made of spruce and the British would have used them as a small prisons.

11. looseleaf

Well, you can always "fly" the Ju-88.

I do not know how the 177 plays in FH as I never have used it.

But based on the short histories I have read, the real plane differed greatly from its original design and due to the crazy specifications laid-out by the German High Command, the plane suffered greatly as well.

From all what I read the plane IS a deadstick brick.

One's only hope if your four engines die (and you are not on fire) that one has enough alt. to get all the speed you can in a dive and make as safe a landing you can.

Did you know that the original design was for evaporative cooling?

The vapor from the cooling water boiling away was to be vented in the right places to lower the drag.

Too bad they couldn't get together with Arado.

12. gryphon

gryphon Well-Known Member

glade u told me i'm mettaly and emotinaly retarted :) can u recamend a good head shrink? :dura: :dark:

13. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

14. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

roger

15. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

and keep zero's faster than spits :cheers:

16. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

[mod]trolling again? this time one month. third time would be forever[/mod]

17. gil---

gil--- FH Beta Tester

Got 519 kmh for spit5b at 10000ft (497 at TGR chart, 532 at spitfireperformance.com) so some nonsence surely exhists, but it's little.
    5c speed chart that is now at 1,67 is about ok (or even several kmh better than should) from SL to 3-4 kfeet over this alt TAS grows little slower than it should, so at alt of max speed (19kfeet) it is about 20kmh slower than IRL.
    And Spit2 at FH is 10-20 kmh faster than IRL on all alts.

*IRL is shortcut for spitfireperformance trials here.

18. tazman88

tazman88 Well-Known Member

imo spit5 speed is fine

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  19. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

if we need the trop. version with Vokes filter, then yes, Spit5b is ok, the question will be then, why we need trop. version only for Spit and not for Macci, 109, P40, etc...

20. gil---

gil--- FH Beta Tester

Speed of our 5b is ok at sea level and about 12-13 (not 30) kmh slower at 3 km. The data in 1-st post of thread looks so strange mostly because our SpitII is too fast.
    And data from TGR's chart seem measured without wep.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010