Simulated big bang CERN

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by ronin, Apr 7, 2008.

1. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/Welcome.html
    Nuts or not they will perform artificial creation of big bang by coliding particles traveling as fast as 99.9% of speed of light. As far as I understood they are trying to measure speed and current possition ( what was imposible since now ) of particles again what will lead to break through discoveries in physics for minkind. Lets hope that Large Hadron (hardon) Collider Atlas performs it's task without unexpected events..... black hole... anybody.... uh um.... :dunno:
    All will hapen by the end of this year. My plan is to dig another hole underneeth my basement.:dura:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  2. Platy

Platy Well-Known Member

YEYYYY!! End of the world!!!:cheers:

1 person likes this.
  3. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

I jolly hope it's gonna work THIS time ^^

the end of the world I mean

4. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

last time worked well "BIG BUM-BADA-BUM", I don't see why wouldn't work this time?

5. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Not to worry, Ronin-san.

They are just advertising overstated greatness to justify all the money they are taking.
    Those very same experiments were done about 20 years ago at Stanford and Berkeley.
    The only thing different is that with more power (and money) they will now most likely make a new element with a half life of about 20 seconds or less.
    So there may be "Cernium 247" or something like that.
    In the end there will be many more papers written about how they now know one more way cold fusion is not done.

We will soon see a new, better,improved theory of the brontosaurus.

Of course having an extra deep basement is always a good idea......

6. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

nationalism

looseleaf is the boroda for california

1 person likes this.
  7. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

Ha, you're making it sound trivial. While it isn't. For starters, CERN was started in 1954, contrary to what you're implying, CERN was the first at what they do.

Also, the LHC doesn't merely mean, more power. I wouldn't expect Curium 247, the 96th element in the Tabel of Mendeleev, to be re-discovered. Also, the chance of them discovering a new element are fairly small, considering they're not researching that specific branch of chemistry, they're researching particles like mesones and bosones. Exotic stuff, obtained through collision... not through nuclear decay processes etc. Besides, starting from elements with 110 protons the naming system for atomic elements is standardised. I'm not gonna repeat the technical briefing on why the LHC is the only of it's kind in the world, I'm sure you can find that out for yourself. Suffice it to say, Berkeley and Stanford both still participate in experiments like these. So, saying it's all nothing else than building a castle in the sky, is a gross overstatement. Then again, that's my interpretation to your words.

There was an interesting article about this in Scientific American a few years back.

CERN has given us a multitude of ideas and workable inventions... like... the internet.

<Z>

1 person likes this.
  8. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

I read something about some scientist filing a lawsuit against one of those particle accelerator projects because he fears what might happen is exactly what ronin stated; that they'd somehow end up creating microscopic black holes that WON'T just fall apart after a few nanoseconds. Given how many unknowns there are in all this stuff, I sure hope those guys have done their homework well .... I'm totally not in the right mood for a black hole eating up my planet.

9. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

10. Zembla JG13

Well, BBC also did a thing on that Their cause was indeed an exotic particle created through one of such experiments.

Thing is, it's highly experimental... so there's no 100% true way of saying it's not going to happen... in terminis. But, I doubt it's even a matter of chances. The tests they conduct simply don't even go there. If they did, we could've stopped using fossile fuels for our engines years ago :) Thermodynamically speaking, what would happen with a strangelet is something even beyond a perpetuum mobile... and I'm not saying that means much... but, before you get there, you'd at least have gotten at least glimpse of what was lying ahead.

<Z>

11. rudeboy

rudeboy Well-Known Member

The big bang wasn't a black hole. It was, well, sort of the opposite, right?
    I hope they don't get something for nothing

12. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

"We want to probe the most basic particles and constituents (and we're) trying to understand how matter was made," Robert McPherson, a University of Victoria physics professor who is working on the project, told CTV.ca in a phone interview from Vancouver.

But he did admited one thing!

"McPherson admits small black holes may be created."

13. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

If the strange matter hypothesis is correct, and a strangelet comes in contact with a lump of ordinary matter such as Earth, it could convert the ordinary matter to strange matter. This "ice-nine" disaster scenario is as follows: one strangelet hits a nucleus, catalyzing its immediate conversion to strange matter. This liberates energy, producing a larger, more stable strangelet, which in turn hits another nucleus, catalyzing its conversion to strange matter. In the end, all the nuclei of all the atoms of Earth are converted, and Earth is reduced to a hot, large lump of strange matter.

14. FranzAugust

FranzAugust Well-Known Member

Luckily we have those great US-american scientists! Looseleaf your nation is great! Thank you.

Greets

btw, why is Duese only allowed 8 hours in MA? ;)

15. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

rabies

lets talk about serbia/kosovo

at least in those threads ronin thought only a part of the world was coming to an end

1 person likes this.
  16. vojtas

vojtas Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  17. Ziomek

Ziomek Well-Known Member

18. Zembla JG13

That guy seems to have little grasp on the Heisenberg uncertainty principle he bases his whole idea around.

<Z>

19. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

looooooooooooool vojtas :D

20. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

My Dear Mr. Z.

The cyclotron and bevetron were INVENTED in Berkeley.
    CERN is just a larger unit.

The Time Projection Chamber- TPC a large device used as an array inside the linear accelerator at Stanford was made at the Lawrence Berkeley Lab 20 years ago.

The internet as you know it was invented in the US as a Dept. of Defense project known as the DARPA-NET and first used by universities to connect and email and online chat with each other in the late 1960s.

CERN is a larger, newer version of what has been done decades before.
    There will be NO black hole made and NO end of the world by any such colider.