Simulated big bang CERN

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by ronin, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

Hey Looseleaf,

Here's an interesting article to back your claim. And, guess what, I never doubted you were right. But, when I said they were the first at what they do, I meant that exactly as it sounded. I didn't mean, they invented the cyclotron, or were the first to use one. Nope, sir-ee. They were the first at what they do, because they were the first to have the sort of apparati, and the first capable of developing relevant speeds. They brought particle acceleration to a whole new level.

There's a huge difference between the large hadron collider and your run off the mill cyclotron. And, guess what, the LHC is the one they use, and the one that was invented at CERN. There's no other device capable of doing what the LHC does. The LHC accelerates much heavier elements, and enables us to test theories like the big bang. Something a normal cyclotron is far from powerful enough to do.

Well good for them. I'm not sure what a particle detector being made at Berkely here exactly means...?

Well, for one, it was ARPANET, not DARPA, big difference. And secondly, all they did was create TCP/IP. It is generally accepted that CERN was responsible for spawning the WWW back in 1989.

I'll agree CERN is a larger newer version. But not of things that have been done decades ago. Why would they do it then? CERN is a larger newer version, an extenson, an improvement over the basics that have been laid out years before.

We've known a great deal about the atom for ages now, but we keep discovering more. There's plenty of stuff still not discovered, for which you need better, more powerful equipment.

To be frank, I don't understand why you're turning this into a contest? The general idea about CERN, or Berkeley, or Stanford, is that anybody can participate, if they have enough knowhow. They encourage people to cooperate, and investigate new possibilities.

And isn't that worth money?

<Z>

BTW, Obviously there's not gonna be an end of the world because of this... I'm guessing you were answering someone else's question/statement there?

And something that recently got my attention

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  2. --maty

--maty Well-Known Member

TRUE.
    TRUE. Almost. 1990.
    p.s. working for LHCb and seating in the Tim Berners-Lee's office (1 R-003), cause now it's LHCb Marseille office... :super:

1 person likes this.
  3. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  4. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

No, it is not "my nation". No it is not a question of "greatness".

I am only talking about what was done before and addressing the concerns of creating a "big bang" or a black hole and speaking from personal experience.

5. whodaphool

whodaphool Well-Known Member

Re: stoopid little weasel

gandhi with all his nicks is the smooth faced cabin boy for all the FH Forum readers.

The fly on the ass of the ox says "Oooh loookie, we are plowing."

6. whodaphool

whodaphool Well-Known Member

Re: lol, futurism

You sure the fuck don't, boy.

7. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

ok., what is a use of finding Higgs boson particle that gives mass to matter?
    If they can controle it or even produce it how they will use it? To give a mass to different types of matter that doesn't have a mass??!!?? um...

8. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

prolly more sense than whining about kosovo on an internet flight sim forum, where no one even cares :p

9. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

That was highly intelectual response.
    On kosovo you will be suprised how many people care al, not including anti-serbian part of Europe ( including "wanabe soldiers from Poland show-shoe hares" ).
    Then again I stoped writing about it, but you, why you are pushing kosovo topic again? You will join me ;) ?

10. Platy

Platy Well-Known Member

Build bigger bombs and bring the end of the world!!! YEEEEYYYYYYYYY
    :deal: