The Music Thread!

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by -cbfs-, Oct 26, 2004.

1. rudeboy

rudeboy Well-Known Member

2. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

3. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

What do Russians think of this performance? I am curious. I like it, but I am an American. For some reason, I really trust Mr. Shev4uk. I like this clip.

He has a kind of grand ambiance about him, something above and beyond DDT. I have his music on my iPod, hehe :)

4. deadmeat

deadmeat Banned

Hey there, this gonna be my first post in here as far as i know..what inspired me is pretty weird, it was the forming of a new squad called the vincent van cock squad ( :D:D:D ) which i joined yesterday and soon enough it reminded me one of my long time-alltime favorite songs by one of my long time-alltime favorite artists. It's Don McLean, an unfairly underrated folk singer/guitarist. His most famous song was American Pie, sure yall heard it some times, and yes that was the one that Madonna also singed a few years back from now, but Don wrote and sang the original song in the 1970's. Also not known that the song "Killing Me Softly" was written to him, after Roberta Flack heard Don performing his song "Empty Chairs". Well, one of his songs is about Vincent Van Gogh (actually the one which made me fall in love with his music), that's why this squad reminded me of him :) If you like chilling melodies you gonna love this song, and if you're lucky enough you still can see him performing live on stage - he got older but still can give us the goosebumps ;) Well, enough said, here's the song (his guitar play is also stunning):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5-kMXwkmPk

5. rudeboy

Re 'Vincent."
    I always bring a song [and a book] wherever I go. Yep. I am humming a song and carrying a book. Everywhere.
    The book I can put down, I have to. But the song stays. It is usually the last song I heard before leaving to begin my day. Or it could be the song I heard on my lunch break, if there are any playing on a radio anywhere near me. But sometimes the song I chose in the morning is so powerful that another cannot take it's place and I continue to hum the one from the morning.
    I will whistle it too, if I am in a whistling mood.
    It is really neat when I walk around a corner and I hear someone else whistling and it is the song I am with. I often want to go up to the guy whistling and ask him how he collected the song, "was it from the radio this morning? Did you hear someone whistling it? Has it been in your head all morning?"
    Never mind.
    Anyway, Vincent is going to be my whistle-tune all day today, I am sure of it.
    I am working in paradise.
    You should see the SOuthwest COrner Of British Columbia in April. Has to bee seen to be believed. If you look at a map of Canada and look at the far left and south of it, you will see a big island. Ignor the island for a second and notcie the mainland that it is snuggled up to.
    I am living there, in the lee of that big island. Helps to cut down on the amount of rain, allow the frequency of rain is about the same as it os on the windward [and soaking wet] side of the big island. Here it only rains about 150 cm, over on the island, it rains twice that.
    Anyway, it makes everything, and I mean EVERYTHING that lives either green or attacked by mosses if it doesn't move fast enough. Nature here is an erosive thing. Nature erodes man's puny efforts. Nature washes it out, slides it away, displaces it with big roots, tears at it's walls with vines and dissolves it, no matter what. There aren't any Great Egyptian Monuments here, not becuase there weren't any ancient egyptians, [there weren't] but becuase man-made doesn't last here, it turn into silt and wash down the river bed and go to sea. It's why most of our homes here are built post-and-beam, which means, we build our homes with sticks. Wood.
    Wood we got lots of. It is green and lives in the rain forest.
    I live in a rain forest.
    Never mind.
    That is where I am, sheltered by a big, rain soaked island. Living in a rainforest can be dreary, if you let it get to you, but it helps to remember the land is green-on-green here, there is no brown to be found anywhere except the huge river flowing by, which is brown allright, as brown as a dirty work boot. Paradise. Yep.
    Until October.
    And I have a good crew, so I look forward to my work days. And a nice song to whistle? Well, things can't be too much better. Well, the money can, but that is the Way It Is Everywhere, eh?
    Stary Stary Night...

Hey, whatsisname!
    Wait, no. Just a second, uh...
    Okay, yeah, HEY DEADMEAT!
    Here is a compliment to your suggested listening.
    Sunny Days - Lighthouse 1972
    Not a lot of guitar in the lead in this song, I think 'Lighthouse' was more Jazz or Large Band SOund, type thing, but I couldn't put it in the Music Thread as then the relevance to whasisname's post, above would be I don't know the word for it, type thing, but you get it, right?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  6. deadmeat

deadmeat Banned

Hail Rude, well this song is gonna be my whistling through the day, it's awesome :) Gotta torrent it or something asap ;)
    Well what you wrote about your place it's really close to paradise..I'm a city kid but always loved the country life instead, cities seem to be just..dead to me. Despite all the people around..or simply just because of them. Grey and dusty and smoky and rushing and dead. I always figured those tribes living out there in the nature are much more happier than a city guy could ever be. Rain and wind and all the stuff, it's them what makes the whole world living.
    This song you've linked in had another aspect I like when listening songs, especially old songs. Somehow they can make me feel to be in their particular era. I'm not only hearing the song, I can see images, people, all the lifestyle happened in its time. Quite similar to when I visit a museum or an old building, and somehow it can just travel me back in time to that era which is the actual building/museum/song is from. I call these moments as one step out of time. When everything disappears for a short while, all those everyday things and have to dos are gone and I can feel the impression of long gone times and long gone people.
    And before I forget, the same goes for books to me too. I also have a book with me everytime; it grabs me out of the day, and shows me something completely different, takes me to an other world. And sometimes the mixture of both - a good novel from a time I havent lived in, with a song also from that time, that is nearly a complete time travel to me :)
    Gotta go now, thanks for the song, it still sticks in my head and I guess will do all day long ;) Sunnnny sunny daaaaaay.. :D

7. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

8. rudeboy

The second in your listie thingie, boy oh boy and fuck me. Does that ever bring me back.
    What was the B side of that single?
    :D
    That year was good for me, when I wasn't in a schoolyard. Schoolyards weren't good places for me. But other than that, that was one of my best years, especially the summer, it was like a long drink of Dandelion Wine.
    That was the year I got my nose busted.......

the first time.

It was the year I read
    "Thunderbolt" Robert S Jonson and Martin Caidin.
    I got a nice ten speed bike from Sears. Blue. Gear levers up and those funny brake handles that had two was of grabbing em, so you be be a lazy bastard and not have to hunker down.
    A kid asked me if I would do his paper route for a month while he vacationed. I agreed.
    He and his family moved out of town that summer and I was stuck with that paper route for years. No other kid would take it. Too many hills.

[​IMG]
    This is a corner I had to pedal my bike a mile to get to AND THEN GO DOWN IT to deliver ONE SINGLE FUCKIN NEWSPAPER. And then, I had to RIDE BACK UP. Usually I PUSHED THE BIKE UP. You can't see the bottom of the hill in the picture, it is a LONG WAY DOWN.
    Back then, in those days, there was more bush on the corner. The old church on that hilltop still stands.

I used to pull into the back and sit on the steps and smoke a doobie, sometimes. One time I got beat up bad by a Bad Kid from my school, on that corner. He bloodied me and then he threw all my newspapers down into the bush in the gulley there, you can't see the gulley in the picture, trust me, it's there, over the thing, and down.
    And one time I bundied really bad riding my bike down there, I used one of my elbows as a brake shoe. I still got the scar where my elbow lost some of it's parts.
    [See the hill just past the river? On the other side of it is a inlet or a bay or something. Then there are more hills and a lot of bush. See the big hill on the left and the one on the right? Those are called mountains, the two of them there, between them and down in a bit is where I go to work.
    I suction the pumps.]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  9. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

10. rudeboy

11. looseleaf

12. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

13. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

14. rudeboy

[Edit]The parts of this continent with English speakers predominant have this, above, music in their bones. Even someone not a fan of 'Country Music' who is from here, will do well to remember their grandparents, who danced to and sang along with these tunes.
    There is something honest and simple about the older country and western tunes.
    I would suggest you give them a listen rather than poo-poo them after the first 8 notes.[/Edit]
    Wilf Carter - Blue Canadian Rockies
    Wilf Carter - There Is a Bluebird On Your Windowsill
    Wilf Carter - There Is A Love Knot In My Lariat
    Wilf Carter - Prairie Rose
    Wilf Carter - Alpine Milkman
    Wilf Carter - I Ain't Gonna Be A Hobo No More

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  15. rudeboy

[Edit]The parts of this continent with English speakers predominant have this, above, music in their bones. Even someone not a fan of 'Country Music' who is from here, will do well to remember their grandparents, who danced to and sang along with these tunes.
    There is something honest and simple about the older country and western tunes.
    I would suggest you give them a listen rather than poo-poo them after the first 8 notes.[/Edit]
    Slim Whitman - Indian Love Call

16. rudeboy

[deleted and added to the above two of mine]
    This message is too short.....

1 person likes this.
  17. looseleaf

18. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

19. whodaphool

whodaphool Well-Known Member

20. rudeboy

Re: not music (dont u like it when some1 posts a youtube link with nothin to explain

Sorry. I went back and corrected it.