Earthquake in China 50000 dead!

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by ronin, May 15, 2008.

1. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

:rose: :rose: :rose:

My god this in china more than 50000 dead, and Myanmar more than 22000 dead and one million homeless.... unbelivable.... Are we witnesing extreme global changes on earth...

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  2. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Cyclones, tsunamis and earth quakes have killed millions of people in the past ... this really has f*** all to do with climate change (less so with man-made climate change).

3. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

We don't know yet and we probably never gonna find what makes this drastic clima changes, but what we are experiencing lately is random ( regarding to geographical position ) human life los with 3 to 4 digits in numbers. The question is who and where and how many digits is next.

4. thug

thug Well-Known Member

Nature is a bitch

People dieing is as much a part of nature as living, it's no suprise that there are events like this taking place on a world that has people living on every square inch. "Drastic" no don't think so..........back in the day whole civilizations would dissapear(Mayans)........if anything, things are much more stable now............people seem to have an odd need to believe that everything is miserable and hopless.......all through time people say,"the end is near" and "it is so hard to live these days"........when in reality it is so much better to be alive today than it was 1000 or even 100 years ago, life expectancy, everyday comforts, supermarkets everywhere, etc...............

It's tough to accept that much death in one fail swoop but it is typical natural events that are causing it.

5. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Re: Nature is a bitch

Yeah, 50,000+ dead over-night in Dresden, 92,000+ dead or missing one in a few seconds in Hiroshima, Nagasaki 87,000+ dead in a few minutes.

6. thug

thug Well-Known Member

Re: Nature is a bitch

Well I guess they are classified as "extreme global changes" maybe.... kinda.... more like "extreme local changes"...............

7. Red Ant

Yes we do. A cyclone killing something on the order of 20,000 people is not at all unusual. It happens many times each century. No climate change involved.

As for the earth quake in China, I really don't see how earth quakes could in any way be related to climate change. Seismic activity and climate are obviously 2 different things.

8. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

I take it you're being ironic?

Seismic activity is powerful enough to modify a climate, not necessarily for a long time, but for a while at least. It's gonna be the local climate, but a climate nonetheless.

Nothing in physics and nature is really independant of something else :p

-Z

9. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

10. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

Considering that, the other way around is not so obvious and that's what ant meant I'm sure.

11. rudeboy

rudeboy Well-Known Member

Some guy said above something about these events being typical and in The Great Scheme Of Things Natural. Yep.
    Black Plague was typical also. The way people lived let the plague in. The way people live let the earthquake do much more harm than it might have.
    I have noticed in a lot of the pictures I have seen of the poor buggers in the towns and cities in Sichuan, a thing again and again:
    Concrete with no reinforcing steel or very little.
    Note: Aren't the Damned gorges [I forget their names] in sichuan or just upriver????
    :rose: sichuan

China is modernizing very rapidly and their housing technology is as good as anyone's, that being the portable nature of technology....
    But they have not gotten around to modernizing their housing, to a large extent, yet.
    I think in a hundred years, they will have more modern housing and not be as vulnerable to earthquake caused [human caused] collapses....
    then they will get a plague of some sort.
    Well, China can handle what has happenned there. It is now one of The Greats. They have power and wealth enough to deal with the practical aspects of their quake damage. Human aspects are something families have to deal with and I am sure China has many strong families, strong enough to get on with life. They always have. Whereas Myanmar has themselves in a terrible way.
    All the shit I could say about the CHinese COmmunist Government, well, I won't say it. Seems the People's Army is rallying and is serving The People. ANd the People also are pitching in.
    In Mayanmar, the People are having a hell of a time getting help. Apparently, India and China are among the People Myanmar will accept aid from, as the two are OFFICIALLY non-critical of Myanmar's government. Perhaps we could rely on India and CHina convincing the Burmese leadership that there is an outside world, we do care and most of us, when contributing funds to aid as individuals haven't any agenda other than hoping we can help get a blanket to a cold person.
    Poor Burmese.
    :rose: Irrawady Valley dwellers

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  12. Red Ant

al is correct, that's what I meant. I admit that my wording was ambiguous, though.

13. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

You talking about China. They have so dense population that in one car crash they get 70 dead guys.

So it's no wonder that they have many casualties...

(It was a bit ironic that in Finnish news they told that there shouldn't be "many" victims since that earthquake happened in "countryside"...)

What's a 50000 from billion. a really small piece...

14. Vlamik

Vlamik Well-Known Member

'Nice thought'. What if Finland was erased from the face of Earth, no matter the cause? Nobody cares for a crapy small piece of icy soil, anyway.

15. whodaphool

whodaphool Well-Known Member

Even better:

The thought of you and whatever shit-hole place you came from disappears off the earth.

I'm sure less people will miss you and your kind than airfax and Suomi.

16. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

50 000/1 000 000 000 (about) is 0.005%. ( I guess, I suck in math)

So in Finnish scale 0.005% out of 5 000 000 is (I guess again) 250.
    We have twice that many people dieing in traffic accidents per year.

Of course my comment would've been a lot different from what I wrote IF THE WHOLE CHINESE POPULATION WOULD'VE BEEN ERASED FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH. No matter what the cause.

And the icy soil is great. The icicles are growing great this year...

:D

17. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

wtg airfax

writing "1 000 000 000" is exec-friendly and doesnt confuse americans

good compromise

18. Vlamik

Vlamik Well-Known Member

Well, quite frankly, your thought appalls me, really. For you, a catastrophe only is considerable if the entire population of some place got written off, as you claimed. And putting human lives in statistical terms sounds a little bit totalitarian to me. Making a mea culpa, sorry for the harsh words in the last post. Actually I don't have anything against Finland. However, by your logic, wouldn't be a big deal if your country was erased from the map. I mean, Finland's territory represents only 0,23% of the world (338.145 km² out of 149.000.000 km²), with a population of just 0,08% (5.291.517 ppl out of 6.600.000.000), compared to world's population. I don't wonder why they say you guys have cold hearts...:rolleyes:

19. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

I had to. My display got smutty when I tried to count the zeros with my finger...

:D

20. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

You're mixing up things again. By my logic, it would be a great deal if the whole China would be erased from map.

By my logic, it would not be a big deal if 0,005% of finnish population would be erased (though I have to admit that I'd hate to be part of that 0,005%)

And who told that "cold heart" lie? Vasco? Al? Or is it a national thing?
    You heard our annual "cold heart festival"? Where we basically hit'n'dump partners....