I see why.

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by bizerk, May 21, 2008.

1. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

Here is an interview with Lennon, Thats John of the Beatles. Just listening to it you can hear/feel the grudge John felt towards paul and to some extent George. When you look back and see the body of work they did in a relative short amount of time (good work mostly) one can only imagine what they could have done with say another 2 to 3 years. Very versitile and well I'll let you listen in on it and hear your takes on it if anyone really cares too. I'm showing my age a bit but that band is still pretty much timeless. <S> bullet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCmKc5oqGGU

2. laline

laline Well-Known Member

you know; many years ago, just after John and Yoko married they ran of to Denmark to avoid the media etc etc and found themselves a silent cottage on the west-coast of Jutland. My brother-in-law and a friend of his managed by pure luck to run into them and were invited to visit them in the cottage where they stayed. They were invited back a couple a days later and my brother-in-law brought his acoustic guitar and a recorder and got their jam recorded. I just wonder the value of that tape today. He's still got it well hidden for the public for more that 30 years.

dane/laline

3. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

I hope you are discussing the value of that recording outside of monetary terms.
    It would be a shame that your brother-in-law should release that recording for personal gain.
    If he does it should be as a donation to a charity, some foundation to promote peace.

It is a very cool thing having jammed with Lennon.

:rose:

4. rudeboy

rudeboy Well-Known Member

So fuckin what if the guy got some cash for it? Really now. Let's be practical in our belief systems/ethical I don't know the words type thing.
    Some cash in a guy's pocket can be a very good thing, as good as if, say, a rich guy had walked up to the guy who has the tape and just, like, gave him a fortune, just to be kind, like, and didn't buy the tape, just, like, gave the guy some money. That is altruistic behaviour. So is giving money-made to charity.
    Getting some cash isn't altruistic, but it is good, still.

5. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

Laline, if what you are saying is true, make sure he has it in a safe deposit box and truely safe. You ever see how much a John Lennon scribble/doodle goes for ona restraunt napkin?? If what you say is true your friend will make a small fortune, and thier is nothing wrong with that. have him make a copy and unleash it unto the world. Beatles fans will go crazy for it. they are always craving more and more. <S> Sorry loose can't agree with you here, but lalines bro in law could still donate to a charity a bit I am sure if he wanted and still be well off. :)

6. looseleaf

I admit i see your point as well as rudeboy's and I understand.

I suppose we could ask "brother-in-law" about the nature of the jam session and if Lennon said anything about it being recorded.

If I understand rudeboy's opinion that "brother-in-law" could donate part of the income to a charity or something, that would be cool.

Maybe my issue is this:

Here we have a cat who gets to meet this famous musician. They strike-up this friendship, sort of and get together this jam session and he records it.
    Now we don't know what that deal was; did he record it on the sly, did he ask permission? what agreement did they have?
    So a person can sell John Lennon's autograph, written on a napkin, on a t-shirt, in an autograph book... etc. That's ok because it's a personal non-business dealing.
    BUT when it comes to music, it is well known that John Lennon was a "professional"- (that's how he made his living) and under contract(s).

So the holders of those contracts and the heirs of John Lennon can come into the picture and demand their share. Now maybe they will and maybe they wont....and maybe 30 years is enough time..."legally".
    But I'm not talking legal here.
    I'm talking honor the artist, honor yourself.

Most of us got to work for the Man, sure, and being a whore sometimes don't bother me...much.....

but bein' a GREEDY whore...well that's another story.

Let's just hope "brother-in-law" does the right thing by all.

7. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

well perhaps, but most of these guys got their start playing famous blues tunes from players that made shit in reality or copying riffs, so where is their share? Mr Lenoon I am sure didn't give them royalties, perhaps a verbal thanks or acknowledment but thats about it So Brother in laws recording is "free as a bird" No pun intented. :)

8. looseleaf

Ha ha ha.. right. No honor amongst thieves. But then again how many times did John Lennon visit Robert Johnson's house or Muddy Waters home and ask to record a jam session?
    I wonder if "brother-in-law" is a professional recording artist?
    Like I said we don't know what the deal was when it went down.
    Personally, I don't think John Lennon was that kind of guy to really care about any rights to that recording.
    Now those companies and their lawyers holding long term contracts with anything recorded of Lennon, well that could get ugly.

It would be cool to hear what they played.

9. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

i have a cassette tape of johnny hallyday singing chocolate rain in a belgian youth hostel with me on keyboard

any takers?

10. Fucketeer

Fucketeer Banned

I can offer two Karel Gott nude tapes for that.