Scramble Scramble!!!

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by bizerk, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

No one said anything about getting an answer. ;p

2. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

3. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Yes but the Jap pilots they downed died a lot earlier:

Here are two I remember:

Richard Rossi: 6 confirmed victories.

David "Tex" Hill: 12.25 confirmed victories

Not so easy for those jap pilots.

4. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Nice pics bullet!! Is that control stick original? The round shaped one? And what is that huge switch on it with the protector?

5. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

Are you kidding me? The silliest of flight controller shapes and you do not know it? :p

It's original (at least the design, dunno about that particular piece), the big button is the trigger obviously, it's a three way switch:
    pushing the upper part of it fires guns
    pushing the lower side fires cannons
    pushing in the middle fires both at once

I might have the upper/lower mixed up, I'm too lazy to look that up :p

6. phantom

phantom Member

That's right, it's the famous original Spit joy.

I guess some think the yoke on the P38 wasn't the way to go either; to each their own.

7. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

But then, the P38 yoke is a norm now in many aircraft. ;)

8. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

not in fighters though, which completely defeats your point ;)

9. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

My point is not defeated, but your weak fighter in front of my P38 is! :dark:

10. looseleaf

Welllllllll........... it's the norm for multi-engined , non inline thrust airplanes.....

11. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

What do you mean by multi-engined, non-inline thrust airplanes?

12. looseleaf

Ok, pard' I'll explain what I mean:

More than two engine that are out in the wings, as opposed to tight in or near the centerline of the fuselage.

For instance, a guy I met leaving the Navy without maybe 15,000 hours of PIC in a F4 phantom.
    He goes and applies for a job at United Airlines, they give him the OK after all the usual tests and stuff, BUT, the FAA wants him to complete a multi engine flight course because even though the F4 has two engines, they are classified as centerline-thrust engines. So even with 15k hours a pilot doesn't really have enough experience with engine-out procedures.

So an engine out, v1 cut in a F4 would be a hell of a lot of difference in a 747. In fact he's a 747-400 captain last time I heard.

I think a catapult launch in a 7-4 would be cool though....

:cool:

insane, but in a cool way.

I wonder if a standard fighter stick would have made a difference to P-38 drivers? Do you know of any surveys or comments of the times?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  13. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

most people dont like to play tennis with themselves

it takes a lot of footwork for one person to hit balls back and forth across the net

14. Fucketeer

Fucketeer Banned

:) That takes an enlightening moment of realizing that the rest of the world doesn't give a shit. Related article.

15. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Well, thanks for the info on that! I think there was an experimental WWII aircraft that had inline piston engines. I think it was a P39 type? Anyway, the P-38 with it's counter-rotating props caused the P-38 to be VERY easy to fly and VERY stable. Just as long as both engines were running. I fly the P-38 here in WB with a stick and would find it unusual to fly with a yoke. I need to modify my joystick someday so the P-38 now in WB is more flyable. Right now the maneuverability/responsiveness/steadiness is beyond ridiculous no matter what dampening setting is used. It's nowhere near accurate. I think it was because the WB programmers wanted to intentionally play a sick joke on P-38 pilots like me. Most likely because we complained that it flew worse than a fully loaded B17, and a loaded ME110 flew better than a P38 which was quite absurd. Now it flies like a loaded HE177 with control response like a Foo Fighter. :fly2: :joystick:

16. looseleaf

Agreed(though P38s had only one counter rotating prop-:D ). But remember the first P38s sent to the English had two right hand turning engines, may not have had turbos either. So maybe a yoke was ok for that.

Even with an engine-out situation I think the p-factor torque-steer would not be the usual multi-engine experience with the P38. It would be interesting to read engine-out procedures.

I forgot what flight sim gave their P38 a hell of a torque steer at take-off. Guess they didn't do their homework.

Again IMHO: the P51 and the P38 could use a little more historical accuracy relative to the other planes here.
    P38 should haul ass here. It's not really porked but just a little tweaking with a few more clicks to the right on the whip-ass meter would be just fine: maybe increase the acceleration in that 6K~10K alt zone with a little more e-recovery should do it, no?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  17. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

18. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

If you lose an engine on take-off or in another low-alt, low-speed scenario (in a P-38), you're really really screwed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_engine

19. Fucketeer

Fucketeer Banned

20. looseleaf

So engine-out in a P38 is FAR worse than conventional twin right hand turning airplanes!