OT Pimping a Linux DIstro

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by rudeboy, Dec 17, 2008.

1. rudeboy

rudeboy Well-Known Member

Called SimplyMepis or as it was called, Mepis.

A Debian based Linux. It shares a huge libray of installable things, Debian repositories. Debian are the directory structures and paths as such that Ubunto uses. Which means there are lots of reliable and easy to make work stuff which you can use that are "Debian based."
    ALong with the nice, common root and path and structure type thing, uh.

SimplyMepis has a ton of software available.
    SimplyMepis is made to be "easy to set up and easy to use."
    And better yet, it IS easy to setup and easy to use.

I read the designer team considered EASE to be a paramount paradigm thingy.

This flavour of Linus is aWsome.

I have never seen anything like it. If you know ANYTHING about the Linux world, you will know from long experiance that "ease of use" is usually, for one reason or another, bullshit.
    For a regular user, IE a nonhacker:
    There always seems something that won't work in a linux box. No matter what you do...

Well, this Simply Mepis isn't like that.

You should wiki it and check out their web site. They speak truth.

Bye: I will stop now.

2. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

At my Uni we have Ubuntu's in wireless telecomunication laboratories. The thing hangs more times in 3hrs than my windows during it's entire lifespan. Not to mention you have to type in a fuckin' book to do anything.

Best of luck with your distro ;)

3. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

thats why i love Red Hat -> Fedora.

4. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

I'll check it out.

I haven't had much luck with any "out of the box" Linux distributions in terms of "easy".

Mandrake was promising in the beginning but then I had printer issues using HP lasers.

Suse was promising until Novel and the Mormons took it over.

Ubuntu is supposed to be good and lots of friends tell me it's the best so far.

I've tried Puppyllinux and using it off a USB mem stick with some success.

Thanks rude.

5. Tzebra

Tzebra Well-Known Member

I have used both Ubuntu and Xubuntu and enjoyed them a lot.
    MEPIS looks interesting, so I will give it a go.

6. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Latest Ubuntu distros are incredibly easy to use! 8.[something].[var]

On my most ancient machines I have XFCE. It's good :)

:@drunk:

But on thousand-plus processor clusters we are using commercial products, because of support stuff. And that "R" possibly "H" Co. is in our city, so...

7. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

ok,
    downloaded mepis distro iso img
    fired up Nero,
    burned it on CD
    poped in to one of my ole units
    it runs like Knopix....
    .... didn't know it is konpix.... um....
    ok,
    Should I pop it in on formated HD and then it will offer me to install it or I am missing something here like "go to setup" option at the very beginning when it asks me to use it as knopix.... ? ? ? :dunno: ???
    how to install it, I mean I don't want to use it like konpix I like to install it and use it as OS...
    biles... ? anyone?

8. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

debian rocks (i heard), ubuntu rocks (i heard).
    so currently i'm playing with ubuntu based "andlinux" - it runs virtually within windoze. probably it will allow to migrate my skills, tasks, apps, sympathy. anyways - without pain of instant windoze vanishing.
    yes, i know, vmware bla-bla. next step if i will love andlinux. may be i will try vmware with ubuntu or bile's mepis.

9. rudeboy

Debian is the distro knoppix is based on. A lot of times, you will see "Debian" on a boot screen and maybe wonder...... Well, it is because so many distros are 'based' on debian. Remember, you can take any open sourse nix and modify it however you wish and name it yourself. This is how the gang of krauts at knoppix did it...... No big deal. All nixes have a shitload of legacy. Open source is like that.

Debian Core allows a basic setup of a root account and it then will [if things go well] hook up to some 'repositories' online and, from there, you can built your own system and is menu driven. Nothing is without hitches though, hehe. Like the time I installed a debian distro and, on choosing my username and password, CHOOSING IT, ie , I was doin it THE FIRST TIME, during the two hour long agonizing setup, I was given ONE CHANCE to enter the password, not TWO chances, only one box to try it and to hit ENTER...... Then, after reboot by brand new debian distro, I couln't get past the boot screen, I had entered the wrong password THE FIRST TIME, on the setup, I didn't know enough hackin skill to fixe it [ FUCK MS and it's bastard footprints. It will fuck up your root partition, reverse drive letters and numbers and all sorts of fucked up shit. Maybe it is just ALL boot managers dangerous to fuck with...]
    Anyway, if you have an old box and DO NOT HAVE A MS PARTITION to fuck with your head, install that debian core maybe, eh?

If you wish for a 'just plain linus, well, you will, on initial boot, be confronted with something like
    Run she shell and enter efg/33/nintyeight/slop/cunt/ compooter -hLlnNmm c
    Make sure your root or boot partitions are falligrated. Tis is NOT reversable.
    Press any key

Kunts

The only way to do it is to keep an empty, reformatable box sitting in a corner and try it [again and again]

BEWARE OF NEW HARDWARE

Bye.

Happy new year.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  10. rudeboy

The virtual machines are great for lookin at. You can't get much work done unless you are insane and risk your root / your balls / your time / your effort. Running linux in a Virtual Machine will result in a box that drags your mouse in the opposite direction that YOU DID. ANd then it takes about two seconds [more or less] before it makes a choice and, by then, the fuckin curser may have taken a trip right out of the fuckin virtual space.

There is a cool way to boot with a cd and then, from that boot session, stick a img file into a ram drive.
    If you are savvy and can get that to work [I am, you MUST be, you pretty smart guy] you will have what looks like, to your friends, a VERY FAST BOX.
    No drive seek. None. Unless you got your cd swapping or prefetching or whatever, but you can get around that too [it really helps to have 4 gB of ram, like I do in my main box.

Anyway, there is, as above, a cool way to get a VERY FAST desktop going and never having to worry about your native, no-virtual partition. Stay out of the puckin swarm of boot kunts. It is possible to run that box and get the sort of performance that will make your friends shout:
    WTF? How did you get that to fire up and run and do that thing it did and the computer made not a sound and didn't so-much-as stutter???????

Hehe. Sticking your paths into a ram drive / ram disk can sure impress - if no one knows quite what you did.
    It is, if done correctly, volitile and will NOT touch your non-virtual system.

But I would be SO CAREFUL using your root account from a virtual environment like that.

Now that I am living on government money [had a near fatal heart attack and can now live for, basically, nothing + bus-fare] I am thinking about heading to the university just across the expressway overpass and sign in for some free or near-free studies.

How often does a guy get a second chance at life and fifty years [if he is lucky] to do all sorts of free and fun shit?????

Ottawa and Victoria and the taxpayers around here, are, for now anyway, willing for me, a reclined gnome, to study so I don't get myself in trouble in The Real World.

Bye

PS:
    The no-frills Debian net-install is called "Voyage" [voiyage? Voyaige? word means 'journey']

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  11. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

i hope sometime i'll have a VIA Nano powered netbook (better call them "crotchtops") with maybe ubuntu.. :)

12. looseleaf

And a very Happy New Year to you too!

13. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

No worries for partitioning, what ever you fucked up your HD with installing any nix distro you can undo it duing ulitimate repartitioning fdisking.
    Start>run>cmd
    then use this:

A:\>debug <enter>
    -F 200 L1000 0 <enter>
    -A CS:100 <enter>
    xxxx:0100 MOV AX,301 <enter>
    xxxx:0103 MOV BX,200 <enter>
    xxxx:0106 MOV CX,1 <enter>
    xxxx:0109 MOV DX,80 <enter>

(80 for hd 0 or 81 for hd 1 )

xxxx:010C INT 13 <enter>
    xxxx:010E INT 20 <enter>
    xxxx:0110 <enter>
    -g <enter>
    Program terminated normally
    -q <enter>

:D

I used it a number of times and it works like a charm.

14. rudeboy

Try to make sure Gateway COmputers Inc has NOT decided, arbitrarily, to reorder the disk numbers. THEY DO!!!!! Be aware that the HD0 is really the HD1 and vise versa or something.
    FDisk can really be a bastard if it is used in a fuckin Gateway computer.
    Or if it is used by a guy who has some tech knowlege learned and then forgotten or relearned or not learned, ever......

HDA1 HDA0
    SDA0
    SDA

You know, they do this on purpose.

In my civilization, the Great Thinkers will decide that light bulbs should have a diferent standard of socket.
    Sony et al has dicided to USE the agreed on INTERNATIONAL symbol for USB and yet, they patent and DO NOT RELEASE the specks for their own parts, so there are NO PARTS for kodak unly you want to pay 70 bucks for a fuckin USB cord.

ever wake in the morning with honey smeared onto your ass cheaks?

15. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

The simplest solution is to physically remove hd(x) ( in case you have multiply hd(x) and then perform fdisk on hd0 routine.

16. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

well, nothing wrong with mouse seems to me.
    it's somehow slow or may be it's shell's option to have inertial mouse?

2500megs, my xp cannot see more than 2700.
    but i ain't a showoff guy.
    and having two osses divided by rebooting is not much convenient.
    once i had that: winnt4 for living and win98se for warbirds 2.77. that was quite a hell, i say.

i have my andlinux running virtually with own LAN ip and it sees my windoze shared folders and internet my windoze connected to.
    two computers (though one virtual) at once for same money is more interesting to me :shuffle:

what they can say besides what is written in internet?

too much options for me at this moment of my life.

17. rudeboy

A lot of people use and enjoy those virtual machines.
    [deleted the remainder becuase I would like to rant at that funny guy from that place I can never remember and where things don't matter anyway.
    :p
    Yeah. About a distro.
    I got this network hardware. It is the reliable kind. Go to little mom and dad computer shops. Go to the farmers market, if it is in a big enough town with more than five people who are literate and you will find hardware that makes sense. People in the Hinterland got no time for the shitty, the fancy or the widely unsupported.

I got three computers. A 300mHz used IBM with four big, no I mean big HDs in it, an old realiable Matsushito or whatever, CDD, where there are hardware drivers everywhere, even a unemployed eats too much muctuk norwegian has no mony but can read, can at least read, guy can get drivers for, realiable, old and too, cheap, hardward.
    Nevermind. I got an old, fifty bucks machine that came with windows 2000 becuase it used to run some machinery in a pulp mill and then it got old and was auctioned.
    So I didn't have to steel it.
    I stoll the other one, but we won't talk about that one, that was a different time...
    Now, that old 300mHz box runs some old crap from the stone age. ANd it has some boot disk with Puppy in it and that Puppy connects, because Puppy is meant for old reliable used auction hardware. I use that Big Blue next to me so I can see the internet while I am busy repairin whatever I did wrong to the box next to it:
    Vista.
    Vista 2ghZdualduowith more ram than I ever saw in my live.
    It has spent more time time than I have, and I been sick. OKay? ANd that thing is new. Only a few months old. But a lot of times, it isn't working so good.
    VistaGateway fancy new machine don't work any better than old shit, like sits next to it. As long as you have useable software and the hardware is not broken, fine.
    Puppy Linux looks fine in a 300mHz old shitbox when it is just asked to look at the internet.
    And I have a machine that is in some pieces but it works. It has illegal windows xp and I have to keep changing the date in the bios so it doesn't make a popping noise and smoke come out of it.

I don't even use the monitor in that Big Blue. IT just sits there and I look it it from desktop sharing from the other, almost busted machine.

I like being close to towns that have a lot of used computer hardware and too, so new stuff even, becuase my downstairs room is a fun place to be in the winter.

I still haven't managed to make a linux box fun or fun to look at.
    ANd it is not becuase of the software or the hardware. It is becuase of the learning that I still have to do. Everything is available already to teach me. NO NO NO.
    Some people have to break things in order to be learning how to fix tham and sometimes that is a lot of work and will never be made to work quite right, like how I do things.
    I will go to that university not far from me and I will enroll in all the 1 courses, the ones I should have enrolled in fifteen years ago.

DOS I already knew about and then I sat on my ass and forgot there is a whol other world.

Now I am deally with vista and the more fancy shit linuxes and boy:
    I need a teacher.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  18. rudeboy

Swiss army knife of partition managers. It seems to have sensible design. I think I am soon to shed 2 of my three boxes and won't be doing a lot of partitioning for a while, so I won't find out of it is shitty as soon as I might otherwise....

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

19. rudeboy

20. looseleaf

I just heard about kiwilinux.

This computer friend of mine tells me it's a big improvement over the Ubuntu versions.

He just finished downloading and updating the 8.12 version and he says it works MUCH better than Ubuntu.

One thing he mentioned is that the DVD software was pretty good and he was able to read all sorts of DVDs that were not readable in other versions.

Any of you guys ever tried kiwilinux?