Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by tazman88, Mar 22, 2009.

1. tazman88

tazman88 Well-Known Member

I have windows vista now and I want to play WB. But it seems my keyboard disables when I start playing. Only my joystick works. How do I fix this

2. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

A known issue with Vista. I don't know if anyone has came up with a solution yet...

3. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Yup, Vista users have been screwed.

So far the only recommendations are using the dual boot feature and loading either XP, Win2000, or even win98SE.

The "run this program in XXX compatibility mode" where XXX is either XP, Win2000 or 98 does not work for the FH at least I was unable to get that to work.

Further complication of Vista:

If you purchased a computer that came preloaded with Vista, you must wait and order somehow, the method is not obvious, an installation CD.

When you try to partition and install another OS using the Vista feature of "dual booting" as soon as you insert the installation CD for any other Microsoft OS, you get the response: " You are attempting to load an older/out dated version of OS. Microsoft only permits the installation of newer versions of OS- thank you and closing this program."

So I was told one will have to transfer all data from your Vista hard drive(s) to another media, reformat your hard drive(s) and install the older version of Microsoft OS and then install Vista so you can dual boot.

A friend of mine purchased the same HP laptop as I with Vista, after a few month of not being able to use the company USB cell/modem because of Vista driver issues, he just erased the whole hard drive(s) and installed his own, old XPpro.

Not only was the company cell/modem working perfectly, but his programs were working FAR FASTER THAN EVER BEFORE than VISTA !!!!!!

He is convinced that Vista is a sham.

I'm beginning to get that feeling.....

Maybe Linux is in my future with dual booting Win2000pro in FAT32 mode.......

Good Luck!

:dunno:

4. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

5. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

Pfff, all the Vista bashing I see everywhere. Vista is far from ideal I'll admit, but it's not the devil incarnate either.

There are plenty of programs that benefit from its improved multi-core support etc. A good example is DCS: Black Shark. In Vista users have been getting much better results than in XP.

Also, XP, 32 bit, will only address 3.25GB of your RAM, unless you do a physical address extension, which only goes so far (would stretch it to 4, but it doesn't really work as advertised). If you decide to go with XP 64 bit you'll run into plenty more trouble than you would have if you used Vista 32 bit. Vista 64 bit is notorious for being the hardest one to get everything working on... but it's come a long way.

Anyway, that's just for games. If you're a real "functional" kind of guy, your OS wouldn't really matter that much, it would only really boil down to which programs can be used on it, and ideally how stable it is, or how it copes with data loss because of system crashes.

About dual booting Vista... I don't know exactly how you intend to do that, but it works fine for me. I just created a freed up partition in Vista with the Disk management tool (or watchamacallit), installed a bootloader, and then let the disk run as a launch disk. In other words, just put it in, and when it asks "Start from CD...?" at startup, just push Enter or whatever the dialog is. SuperGRUB is an ok bootloader, or GRUB itself. Then again there's better than that probably, I'm satisfied with mine though.

-Z

6. looseleaf

Now was I suppose to take the blue pill or the red pill?

:eek:

7. looseleaf

Bill Gates could be the Devil Incarnate... but not Vista, no.
    :)

I used the Vista dual boot/dual operating system / let Vista show you how program.
    After it created a partition and told me to run install disc for second operating system and I put in the CD with an original Microsoft Windows 2000pro , the only thing is showed was the message to the effect: Windows Vista cannot allow the installation of an older than Vista OS.
    I guess I should get a non Microsoft disk partition program.

I would never use XP and I only have 2 gig ram anyway.

Yes, you are right this complaint is mostly for "games".

For most programs; Microsoft Office and all that, the typing speed is the real limit.

I have to admit, Vista has crashed only twice in one year for me so far. Just about the same as Win2000pro in FAT32. I expected more from Vista.
    With all the promotion maybe it was really going to be friendly and not-so stupid.
    :shuffle:

8. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

An OS crash is *usually* the fault of crappy driver software rather than the OS itself, at least when we're talking XP / Vista.

9. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

don't worry.
    when it was 95/98 we all knew that NT4 is the most stable OS available (except posix's, that were in completely in another class, not desktop).
    so i moved to nt4 and lived there until sp6 and waited 2000 (nt5) to get sp2 (i never move to new windowze until sp2).

and guess what? when programmes learnt how to crash NT4/NT5, i began to see BSOD as often as i used to see it on 95/98.

so, don't worry, programmers will learn how to BSOD vista very quickly.

however, i consider vista as same failure as millenium. and i wait for seven.

anybody installed seven beta? anybody tried wb277 on that?

10. Vadim Maksimenko

Vadim Maksimenko Well-Known Member

To be true, it is not a problem of drivers, but crappy programmers :) There are thousands of drivers, that never crash.

And from that point of view there are no stable OS in the world if one has root/admin access. Noone can stop admin from formatting a boot drive :)

"Stable OS" religion is nothing more than human stupidity indicator.

11. Red Ant

Well, of course. The only way for crappy software to come into being is if it gets written by crappy programmers.

12. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

My keyboard and mouse will lock up from time to time. It is really annoying. The only solution is to hit the power button on my HP machine and let it reboot. The problem is most likely windows.

Microsoft sucks shit. Best product they ever made was MS DOS.

One of these days someone is going to make an OS that works with any PC and then Miscrosoft will be playing catch up and begging all the people they ripped off to come back to them.

13. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

well, actually there is another superstable app: winmine.

negative. every concurrent that can come to life is bought and disbanded by ms

one of those was created by some australian, afair, and... the silence covered the that os. i even cannot recall it's name

14. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

what about linux? you don't think linux is scaring MS a little?

In my town there was a great pizza and panzerotti shop that has been making Italian food since 1967. Finally after all these years the old Italian man and his wife retired and sold the pizza store to some PAKI and his PAKI wife.

These PAKIS thought they were smart. They started to put less toppings on the pizza, less cheese, less tomato sauce. They started buying the low quality pepperoni that pizza stores that are run by PAKIS use, and he had the nerve to increase the price of his pizzas.

He thought he was smart. He thought he could get away with this shit. He kept it a secret that he was new the owner of this pizza shop, and that the old Italian man who used to own it retired. Many people started to wonder what was going on..People would call the pizza shop and order a pizza to be delivered and some PAKI would show up and deliver a pizza to their home but everybody still thought that it was the old Italian guy who was making the pizzas and he just had PAKIS delivering it.

Then some people started saying: "Hey what the fuck is going on? Who is making these shit pizzas? It's not the same anymore"

Yeah well people in my town found out that the new owner was PAK-man.
    I said to this Paki guy "A lot of people are saying that things have changed, these pizzas are no good anymore"
    he said to me "I am the only guy in town that makes Pizzas, people will always come to me"

So these three Italian guys got together and started a Pizza store and now there are putting PAK man out of business. Noone wants his shitty pizzas, they call the Italian guys and now there are TWO Pizza stores in my town so people have a choice, PAK-man is scared.

[​IMG]"Here is your Pizza Mr. White Man, it is always same high quality, everytime"
    [​IMG]"same high quality" Like Fuck. Oh fuck, BRECHHHHHHHHHH"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  15. Red Ant

And you've reached that conclusion after doing how much research? XP is not perfect, but it's a pretty solid OS, and your lockups being the operating system's fault is actually pretty much the least likely explanation you could have thought up ... well, apart from the government having rigged your computer with thermate, that is.

16. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

well, vista 64 may be troublesome, but not as much as windows7 64bit :D which is polished vista to be honest

as for dualbooting if you want linux guys, try ubuntu with wubi installer

and yeah, bashing vista is quite popular, but trends change with upgraded hardware, when you can see the advantages vista has over xp
    i liked xp a lot and it took me a while to upgrade from 98
    anyway, for comatibility, you can always use virtual machines like vmware with old os installed, any decent hardware can run warbirds on it

17. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

i have 7 64
    and i didnt bother to try wb
    enough to say about 7: im using vista drivers for my hardware, it looks like they finished vista at last and labelled it 7 :D
    people say 7 runs much smoother than vista, i cant say, never had vista on this hardware long enough to get a clue

18. Lesiu

Lesiu Well-Known Member

Ok, tested this eye candy thing called windows 7. So far - I can't connect to wb.

19. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

interesting. wb runs offline ok?
    launcher runs without crashes?
    which messages you have?

20. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

ok i tested it and everything works except keyboard
    so you can play it online if you map all functions to your stick
    when you call chat with mouseclick (with chat buttons turned on) or map it to the stick you can type in and keyboard works, but it works only there

so, yes, you can play it online under7, if you can map all functions to your stick or call them from radio chatter
    you cant use keyboard ingame otherwise

wasnt it like this under vista?