Sound Mod

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Saxon, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Saxon

Saxon Member

Introduction
    Thought I would introduce myself, or re-introduce myself.

I used to fly here at FH as ?Cross? years ago. It was so long ago, I don?t even know how many years.

I mostly flew solo, but then joined =ELITE= Squadron. I noticed Casper, Bullet and Jacobe are still here! <S>
    I recall that I joined Elite the same week as you Jacobe; do you remember when that was?

The main reason I fly is because of the Spitfire. Love that plane. Despite what FH has done to it :dunno: So don?t give me any FLaK if I fly little else.

Two questions:
    On my first sortie, I had my first kill stolen :nono: And a few more since then.

Back in the day, when men were honourable :D the deal was:
    If it's trailing black smoke leave it alone, white smoke and it?s still fair game. :deal:

1. Do I have to keep shooting my kills all the way down until they explode on the ground, and then keep pumping rounds into the wreckage, or does some sort of code of honour still exist?

2. I used to have every WBs download available, and all the Glars maps printed out; a few moves and that?s all lost. Anyway, the only thing I could really use right now is a list some of the commonly used dot commands. Anyone point me to a list?

Sound Mod
    I?ve spent quite a lot of time developing sound mods for my favourite WWII game: 'Steel Panthers' which is an excellent Battalion level wargame:

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/WW2/WW2_page.html

The first thing I did after re-installing WB and the FH sound mods, was to improve the Spitfire sounds.

I gave each Spitfire its own distinct Merlin or Griffon (for the Mk XIV) engine sound.

I added three excellent sounds for the .303, 20mm cannon, and 50cal (Mk XIV only).

There are three unique Flaps sounds, a new Bomb sound, and a very nice Undercarriage sound. All in high quality stereo.

Feel free to download this mod.

Also feel free to plunder the sounds, strip the weapons or undercarriage out and place them in your favourite ride.

I know some of you have secretly wanted a Rolls Royce engine in your BF109. Well here?s your chance :joystick:

ZIP file weighs 12MB:

http://www.4shared.com/file/95885738/d7c94213/Saxon_Spit_Sounds.html

RAR file weighs 9MB:

http://www.4shared.com/file/95883933/6feee94d/Saxon_Spit_Sounds.html

(Wav files are lossless so the sound quality is identical)

I recommend you backup your original sounds by going into your sounds folder, and renaming the five Spit folders to ?Spit5 orig? ?Spit9 orig? etc.

Then unzip the file to your sounds folder; or ?replace all? and it will replace your five Spitfire folders if you didn?t rename them.

Gunsight
    Lastly, I made a Spitfire gunsight. It?s inspired by actual WWII RAF Spitfire sights, but is slightly different with some useful 45deg lines to aid deflection shooting.

Download this sight to your main WARBIRDS folder, and it will only change the gunsight of the Spitfire.

NB. I made this gunsight to work with my ATI Radeon video card. It may well work with other graphics cards, but if it doesn?t look symmetrical to you, just delete it. Or open the file in NotePad and fiddle with the code.

Download gunsight:

http://www.4shared.com/file/95887268/67cbc36/spit53.html

cheers,
    Saxon

2. demian

demian Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  3. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know if that 'usually' has any business of being in that sentence. It happens a lot these days.

4. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

interesting...
    but engines are "slow" :)

5. Saxon

Saxon Member

I used slower engines for the earlier Spits than the later ones. But even on the slower engines once you get the plane moving at speed the engines start humming.

I guess it depends what you are used to. I find the slower RPM more relaxing.

Thanks Demian for the links.

cheers,
    Saxon

6. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

7. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

Yo Cross! Welcome back.

This game has lost it's attraction as playability, ask exec why, but, we still fly here, u can find me here as 'jazzer' or 'hijacd' ,cya bro and thanks for the sounds.

8. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

btw, try to share your files out of n.american fkface spy hosts pls.

9. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

well, i don't say sounds must shock and stress... but for engine i prefer sounds that support ehm... "vivacity". and it must be easily recognizable when playback speed changes (rpm/throttle operations, as well as diving/climbing tone modification) :fly2:

10. Saxon

Saxon Member

The Spit1 engine (also used by Spit IIa) is the only one that is clearly on slow side in the lower RPMs, but has plenty of character. I just tested it again and it has great range of sound at various speeds.

However, it took 5 seconds to increase the speed. Here's a link to download Engine 1 in four different speeds:

http://www.4shared.com/file/96048402/f456ebbb/Engine_Spit1.html

Original
    25 pct faster
    33 pct faster
    50 pct faster

Or do you have a problem with all the engine sounds?

11. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

i assembled my own sound pack from previous sound packs of guys from WB, AW (BRRO, Robotosounds, Gahris and RGreat's packs) and may be even father.

criteria were:
    1)all airplanes the same. i have no ear for music, so all aircrafts should be unified
    2)engine must be energetic, but not stressing. it must express speed/rpm changes. engine must not sound like computer stuck on one tone. it must fit both wing and fuselage mounting.
    3)fire2 must be more "respectable" than fire1, because it sometimes mean larger calibre, sometimes more barrels. both must give clear expression of automatic weapon
    4)explosions, damage must be like i hear in movies, preferably documental ones.
    5)other signals must be clearly readable

so the sound i used for engines was BRRO"inline1" for several years. yesterday i decided to switch to BRRO"p39d".

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XCO4QC74

entire pack is here (with old engine yet)
    http://personne.newmail.ru/ExecSounds/ExecSounds2.zip

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  12. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

by these reasons your +50pcs sounds to me much more interesting than previous "lazy" sounds :)

13. demian

demian Well-Known Member

wow, exec great sounds!:p
    especially those dmg hits:p
    u can really say when u lost something vital..
    and g14 sounds so good, that i almost want to chase antred again:turret:
    btw, since u have ears for music mb u could do something with the worst sounds in game, dora and lagg3:help:

14. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

Welcome back cross/saxon, bullet here, well if you want back in elite just catch yesiam on (he has been on lately) and ask him to re-add you. Currently me (bullet) I'm with TS band of brothers, so if you see me on give me a yell. <S>

bullet