vive 1.42?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by -exec-, Jun 8, 2009.

?

1.42?

1. when i say about 1.42, i just talk about nostalgie

18.5%
  2. when i say about 1.42, i swear i will play again if FH goes 1.42 even if others won't

25.9%
  3. i will quit the game if FH retreats to 1.42. just fix errors of 1.672 and/or server rules.

7.4%
  4. it's not about version, it's time when people go different ways

33.3%
  5. woopeckers around!

14.8%
  1. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

salut all

some people state that 1.42 is the game, other versions are just fall to crisis.

how numerous are those folks?

2. rudeboy

rudeboy Well-Known Member

I am not sure how to answer.
    Maybe phrase the questions differently, eh?

when i say about 1.42, i swear i will play again if FH goes 1.42 even if others won't

???
    I would like to try 1.42 see how it feels. I won't want to swear any oath though. Just would like to try it out.

i will quit the game if FH retreats to 1.42. just fix errors of 1.672 and/or server rules.

I want to have a predictable experiance and no evidence of constant fiddling by impatient hobbiests who fiddle and fiddle and fiddle, thereby breaking stuff in ways that don't even know they did.

3. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

I don't think going back to 1.42 is a good idea. That would be an acute case of "throwing the baby out with the bath water". 1.67 isn't THAT bad .... sure it is not without problems, but those can be fixed. It's not as though 1.42 was perfect.

4. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

My choice is go back to 1.42, but it may still be choice #4 that many have moved on. Heck I was happy with 2.76 but then again there were usually 50 to 100 or more virtual pilots on back then when FH got going. But I would be happy if even a quarter of that returned. But even if 1.42 comes back the word would have to go out to all former members to try and entice them back, is that possible? <S>

bullet

5. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

item 1?

item 3?

so you have opinion for other option?

6. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

I think it's mainly a grass is greener on the other side thing. With 1.42 things were lively around here. FH was in full bloom so to speak. Reverting to that now won't change anything. It'll only serve nostalgia, and in the end it's more likely that it'll ruin what are good memories, rather than make new ones.

-Z

7. barman

barman Member

I'd go for option 4 of the poll. It's not about the version but the sad time we're living that people just tend to go away. Lets face it - the peek of popularity of this game is gone. No matter what we do (scenarios, other FH versions, etc.) people will gradually keep breaking off. Me, personally, still like playing wb and will keep getting airborne till the very end...(however, I never use to play a lot, constantly, but just pop in from time to time).

8. demian

demian Well-Known Member

Bring back ETO map.
    We have TA for furball/dogfight/test now we need big map for strategic/tactic/group playing.

9. jfm

jfm Well-Known Member

which ver. was last pre-jeeps?

i remember my last FH sortie (except pedzels memorial flight :( )

all enemy team (5 ppl) in jeeps at one field
    and my single figher near field, low and slow to allow safe take off

after no situation change in next 15 minutes i just pressed alt-f4 ;)

edit: for now i see future in il2FH project
    short video inspired by this project
    click

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  10. rudeboy

I think you have a good idea. I have a working and patched il2 fh. I see few when I log onto 195.189.238.100:21007. That doesn't mean the thing isn't worthy, it is all about 'if you build it they will come.'
    Lets get the word out.
    The game is friendly to Vindows Wista and XP. It isn't easy to fly or fight. [I like that]
    I don't know a thing about server side issues and client side issues etc. If the hobbiest-hackers who cared and were capable;
    glitches in the server side AND/OR the client side could be either changed or not if the can or they can't. The same tinkering was done before, it could be again, if people care to participate in play. Players coming will be seen and others will notice and tell others..
    Il-2 much better than the old WB.
    FH is good. Let's try.

11. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Perhaps a poll as to what would make more people join and play more often would be a better approach?

Sorry, I seem to appreciate the woodpecker option more and more....

I don't think that any older version of FH would bring the old players back nor would bring any new players.

Maybe if there was a working Vista and/or Linux version?

Maybe if there were some pre-arranged scenarios or various arenas to chose from there would be more people joining the game?

Maybe if there were some AI players that would take-up the place of online players when the numbers were low?

Maybe people do not have the time to play as much as they used to, so if there were easier "pick-up" games to join they would come and fly a few quick missions now and again? Just a thought, I have no idea what that could be.

I still like the idea of an arena where everyone uses the same plane and the plane changes every so many hours.

I wish I had the solution that would get those 50~100 player evenings again. That was real fun. I'm sorry to see those days gone by.

:rose:

12. rudeboy

Compose the poll using better composed choices

Example:

No: There is no going back

Yes: I would play 1.42

No: I would not play 1.42

No: Use 1.672rcx, repairing it if it is borked

Pft: Woodpeckers

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  13. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

the trick is that ppl who demand 1.42 actually would not play it.
    so i divided these options for clear view.

14. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

Well if the current option for warbirds FH is dead and going back is dead, then the final option is

Do I think FHWB's is dead! put that option up and see how many pick that choice.

exec out of curiousity, when did FH first go on the internet/web for all to join and play? I started flying here back in 99. I know it started with 2.76 then 2.77 then FH added updates to shut ien up.

15. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

option 4?

summer 1999, probably june/july.
    it's described in Martin Struwe's wiki

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  16. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Sorry gentlemen (and ladies?) but I have no idea what the differences are between 1.42 and everything else.

I did hear some talk of a porked-out Li-2 at some point....;)

Then there were the uber 30mm, the uber 20mm, the uber 12.7, the uber .303s, the uber 190s, the uber spits, the uber zekes, the uber biplane, the uber cheaters..the uber ubers... ad nauseum....but then I suppose there are some in every version.....

:@drunk:

17. allpay

allpay Well-Known Member

Its not about version, its about scorepage.

18. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

You stopped playing this game because some crappy web page showing how many planes you've shot down isn't working anymore?? Like ... really?

19. allpay

allpay Well-Known Member

absolutely yes !

20. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

People like to be able to track their achievements and progress ;)
    Not having scorepages takes a lot out from the fun, for squads at least. Being a lone wolf I guess you can give a rat's ass about it ;)

The real question is do people really want to get back to a game, where their opinion is not being accounted for, where every minor issues takes months to fix, and where 'fixes' are being introduced without asking/notifying anyone.

Remember the fw190 elev response? It was castrated without it even being mentioned in the changelog. The reason for doing that was of course never explained either. I'm not sure I would like to return to such administrated gaming.