B-26 Marauder

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by gandhi, Aug 22, 2009.

1. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

A great way to bring people back is with a new aircraft.

check out this picture i found on wikipedia:
    [​IMG]

It would be great! Especially if it's anything like the ideas I have in my head. Imagine a slightly faster B-25 with ottos that are just as good! It is also said to have maintained the lowest loss record of any combat aircraft in WW2, so in my Ontarian/Italian/Linuxian logic I will pretend like that means it will be almost invulnerable to enemy fire.

And I think I speak for everyone when I say that I think I speak for everyone.

2. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

rep +1 :D

3. joseh-

joseh- Well-Known Member

NO, THANK YOU. :(

4. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

afair it was unstable for flying and...
    po-2/u-2 and mosquito4//9/16 had even lower "loss record of any combat aircraft in WW2".

5. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

B-26 has gunners that can get some cons below, B25 doesn't.

6. phantom

phantom Member

7. Cabron

Cabron Well-Known Member

8. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

There seem to be two "B-26" planes.

The B-26 Marauder by Martin.

The B-26 (A-26) "Invader" by Douglas.

My vote would be the Martin version.
    Try the B-26 in Aces High sometime.

9. Cabron

Cabron Well-Known Member

I would guess there would be much bitching and gnashing of teeth if the douglas version with 14 forward facing 50 caliber guns ever hit the arenas.

10. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

11. reuben

reuben Well-Known Member

wailing and gnashing of feet ...

12. looseleaf

After all the Bf-110 players complaining, the devs would change the A-26 guns to 7.62 mm ShKAS.

:rolleyes:

13. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

No. ShKAS is better gun than 30mm. 1 x 7.62mm ShKAS in pilot destroys game for player hit and all surrounding players except shooter.

14. looseleaf

Must be the new depleted uranium ammo......

...those devs don't sleep at night to improve this game!

15. rudeboy

rudeboy Well-Known Member

I don't recall it ever being called a B-26.
    A for attack B for Bomber.
    That said, damb, the A-26 was fast, very fast, for a medium bomber. It was well built. It had, I belive, servo controlled defence armament. It was so snappy and handled in a way that, later on, after axis fighter pilots were mostly dead, Yankee flyers even were tempted to attacke those enemy they could see.

I used to love flying that thing in Air Warrior.

16. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

when yankees finally realised that CAS and invader would have be in relation even a little, they discarded marauder and renamed invader to "b"

17. looseleaf

Servo controlled guns were on the P-61 black widow and B-29. I do not believe the Douglas A26/B26 had that feature.
    The Douglas A-26 Invader was renamed B-26 Invader from 1948 to 1965. The Martin Marauder was only known a a B26 during WW2.
    Both plans were very fast and if you fly the Martin B26 in Aces High, it is fun too.
    Of course in Aces High you fly three at a time and you are personally in the lead plane. If the lead plane get shot down, you are automatically transferred to the second plane- not sure if you can opt-out for less than 3 at a time. However it's a kick as leading a 3 ship formation, you hardly miss your target.

Who knows if we will see either one here in FH.

18. demian

demian Well-Known Member

We should remove Pe8 and he177 and introduce b26, lockheed hudson, he111,
    or something similar.I believe someone told me that pe8 and he177 are anyway just fictional addons to game, what is totally opposite to tendency of admins to make game more similar to reality.
    Also , if there was tendency to introduce only planes with specific number of models produced, then it should be always principle. There are some models today in game that cant pass that limit and would be so nice for admins to follow their own principles.
    Next thing to improve gameplay is to either bring old rps back , with planes that do not disappear during the tod, or to give us some later models of same planes that wont be russian. For example is p39 , why last version must be russian one?Same thing goes for buffs, if u want history then do not make balance like all sides should have strategic bombers.
    Why reds need pe8?
    Reds already have b17 and b24 , historically very important buffs, so pe8 is just some form of competition. Especially knowing that it has the best flying characteristics on red side.
    Next thing to fix is to remove that faggy plane i153 out of 1943, because japanese did fly first old version of zeke in late war, and that zeke disappears.
    So why would reds have that faggy uber snoopy , especially since it has rox ?

Next thing to improve gameplay would be introducing of russian PO2, so for once we could see what russians did fly , instead of all those il2 variations,
    hvy yaks, hvy las, and faggy i153/i16s.
    The last and the most important thing that will bring back old players is to introduce saving of pilots.

19. joseh-

joseh- Well-Known Member

Just wish that 1.68 don't give us more options of russian planes.
    The fact is, we need to remove some planes that doesn't match with reality nor historically.
    Pe8 and He177 could be some options, but with B-24 and B-17 reds still have great buffs, while removal of 177 will be a disaster for golds....
    Mb master exec- could listen to ppl and let us choose the things, not using his authoritarism :(

20. looseleaf

You talk historical reality when we see zekes, F6f, F4U, etc.. in European theatre and Bf110 and Fw190 in the Pacific?

Yet we do not see the P-63 in Eastern Front.

If the game is not going to be exact historically, then mix it up further and also bring out the G55 at war's end along with the 262 and Ar234

Fact is Allies had bigger bufs, incendiary, AP,and HE 50 cal.

and in the Pacific had proximity fused ack projectiles that really was devastating.

Maybe an Ar232 buf?