Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Funtom, Jul 1, 2010.

1. gil---

gil--- FH Beta Tester

1. Yep, VYa-23 was very strong weapon. Initial velosity 920 m/s, 200g shell, so its ballistic was much better than one of any 20mm cannon, and 10g of explosive in HE shell (Hispano HE - 6g). I've seen some photos with 23mm hits (will try to find), and i can easily believe that single hit can be deadly for 109 or 190 most times.

2. Never IRL, I didnt met and never hear about any memories of LW pilots where they wrote about opening fire earlier than buff ottos. And it is easy to see why: distance up to 1000m is just ok for 12.7 mg fixed on turret, especially at high alt. Fighter trying to aim his mk-108 from long 6 will be easy steady target for otto, much easier than the buff for this fighter pilot. Mk-108 shells fall about 40-45m at 1000m dist and have relatively big spread. It is surely possible to hit buff by 30mm from big distance (was long argue in russian thread :), but it is more effective and less dangerous for 30mm fighter to come closer asap. So Mk-108 was surely cool, but the reason is not in longer range.

I agree, it should be possible to try. And it will be in 1.68. And also i'm almost sure that most 30mm interceptors will return to short range attacks after several PK from manually aimed ottos :).

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

Tx for info about VYa, chaps ;)

I read it in book Target Berlin - Mission 250: 6 March 1944. And for HO-attacks it was necessary because of high merge speed, they opened fire in distance about 800m ...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  3. gil---

gil--- FH Beta Tester

Agree about HO.

And i know, there are such guncam records also, 30mm could be used from 800m and it was used, but was it more than distance of ottos' fire?
    On the another hand, mk-108's damage is almost independent from the distance, so all depends on ottos' hands and eyes, they had everything to make long range use (not in HO) of Mk-108 dangerous and ineffective, but did they? If they were not able to make it impossible to hang buffs' 6 for relatively long time to aim accurately, 30mm could be deadly enough from that distance.

And thx for the book. :)

4. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

so, no objections/comments to current lightnings?

5. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

i think lights are ok, only mb too many PKs...

6. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

hmm. pilot's size is not bigger than any other ones.

7. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

mb only bad luck ;-) i have bad karma so when somebody hit me, 1-2x20 is enough :D

8. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Well, the Lightnings do perform well enough.
    Ok, here it goes...

The "kill two birds with one stone" curse:
    Rudders: There are two rudders but, when one rudder is hit, BOTH quit working.

Fuel: When hit and leak starts, fuel drains from ALL tanks.

Guns: When hit from behind (idea is to not get hit to start with, I know) guns will get jammed. Nearly Impossible to jam from rear hits. The guns are behind armor plating, pilot, and very small/narrow profile fuselage.

And the elevator: It falls off too easily after being hit.

An option that would be nice:
    Rear view/mirror function when looking back. I know in real life a person would look up at the mirror but, the mirror would viewed when pressing the rear view on hat switch.

9. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

I would like a clarification on the DM and "hit zones" of the P-38.

About the elevator, just how far is that hit zone from the elevator to the rear of the cockpit?

There seems to be a huge empty space there and those twin booms are really skinny.
    I wonder if those projectiles that fly through that open space don't somehow count as hits into the elevator or cockpit......

A P-38 should be one of the hardest to hit in that sense, from high deflection angles, above or below.

Hummmm....... I wonder if the DH-2 had that advantage?

10. allpay

allpay Well-Known Member

11. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

12. Cabron

Cabron Well-Known Member

WB2.77 does not feature more than one fuel source.

WB3 does and that's why you also have drop tanks there.

WB freehost runs blazingly fast on my older machine and WB3 runs unbelievably slow so I choose good gameplay over features.

13. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

ien defined 32 details of aeroplane to damage
    double fin aeroplanes have 33 details in these terms.
    they decided that ruder and fin will represent both of keels in such case.

feature of ien

guns are represented by cubes that make entire nose, quite visible from begind-above direction.

DM*

ien feature. btw, how to flip the image if you suggest us to redraw rear-view?

NOTE TO ALL:

*DM is feature of server, server, server, not client

fhlauncher is
    • aircraft performance
    • aircraft load
    • gun ballistics (trajectories!)
    • cockpits
    • external visualisation of aeroplanes

fhlauncher is NOT:
    • damage model (sturdiness)
    • scoring
    • alt-f4, self-bombing
    • field capture
    • rolling plane schedule

so please stay on-topic, people

14. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

Why are Pe2 ottos so deadly in compare to other planes? And i think this is not only my subjective feeling.
    f.e. yesterday's sortie- first i killed in 109F4 DB3 then 2x B25 and i was ok, then i attacked Pe2 and 6x12 destroyed my elev, rudder, aileron a cfuelfire. And that is in most of cases when i attack Pe2, i tried it from many angels, but... always the same.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  15. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

http://forum.wbfree.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38180

due to high speed pe-2 can fix angular velocity of an interceptor that would give gunners comfortable situation to put fire onto chaser.

the same problems with me 410.

however, otto talks are waste of time without thorough tests of otto parameters.

btw, your case is pretty successful in comparison to the task i formulated in the new topic. you got 3:1 ratio already ;)

16. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

nice 3:1 :D

yes, but the problem is that i can't remember when i was shooted down by 410 and 75% of my attacks to Pe2 i lost :)

17. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

ottos do not fire at friendlies, man :D

18. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

FU :D

19. Cabron

Cabron Well-Known Member

Is there any way (on the server end) to have text show in the buffer when someone attaches to you.

The person attaching gets the text so it should be very easy for the person being attached to also view the attachment dialog in the buffer.

This might prevent some of the bad sportsmanship I've been seeing lately in the arena though I know this is a server issue and not the launcher.

20. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Better that if the player get an attach request that the play can choose to be attached or not.

Or at least player can choose an "allow attachments" option when logging-in.

But unwanted attaching should be banned.

IMHO.