SPWaW PBEM once again

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by --stec, May 25, 2002.

1. --stec

--stec Well-Known Member

Now when I finally downloaded this wonderful game (Steel Panthers: World at War) I'll ask once again: is there anybody who would like to play a couple of battles by email? :)

2. niles

niles Well-Known Member

3. niles

niles Well-Known Member

SPWAW: Where are The Finns???

I have been playing SPWAW for some time, mostly offline. I love it.

And too, there is a very busy forum where players get together, much like in here, and debate freely.

You guys from Finland: There are literally HUNDREDS of Finns play that game and post in the forums and make themselves known. There are also, some great coders from there who have made different OOBs (Orders Of Battle) where the Finns and the Soviets are well represented in the two notorious wars they fought during what the rest of the world calls, "World War Two."

When I can, I get Finnish Ski Troops, even when it is NOT winter. Awesome troops, even the Militia behave consistantly, as if "elite" troops. And too, according to our Finnish Players, this is as it should be.

And the Soviet Troops? Well early war, they are just, well, numerous. Later on, ALL of them are shock troops. Obey orders, they will fight to the last hero.

I suppose you guessed already, my favourite fights are in the Eastern Front, Leningrad Sector and Karelia....

Guess what our FInnish players are called?

"Mad Finns!"

If you have no good fast connection, contact the forums and ask. Someone from anywhere in the world would fire you off a CDROM, it is legal, as the game is freeware. And too, the players of the game love it so much, this is how I got my copy of the game (back when it was version 5.1 - it is now version 7.1)

4. --maty

--maty Well-Known Member

Yeah, game seems great, but when i saw like Jap sniper kill my "Sherman" i don't belive it, when i saw it second time i delite this game :D :eek: :rolleyes:

5. niles

niles Well-Known Member

re maty: could it have been bad data in the OOB??

maty, sorry to hear you got turned off the game. Me too, I delete things with great gusto! I am ruthless: if a thing doesn't work well for me, I kill it.

There are lots of games and I don't miss a game that doesn't work UNLESS I pay lots of money for it ( cfs1 + cfs2 + Janes WW2 Fighters = 180.00 (Canadian) blecch).

The OOB or "Order Of Battle" is a database and sometimes has a little error in it. Maybe a data entry dude puts a decimal in the wrong place and that sort of thing.

I have an OOB from a Mad Finn. I can't use it to play PBEM or Online H2H, because it is not "stock..." It is a detailed and superb OOB, if you like to play Finns verses Soviets, as I do...

Just like the old fashoined Board Games, if you don't like a result, you can always make a little change. Say, for instance, using the OOB Editor and finding out what is so special about a Japanese Sniper... hehe.

I was suprised the first time one of my tanks was kilt by an infantryman. Then I went and checked out the OOB and noticed the little fellow had a Anti Tank Rifle.

Matrix continues to lovingly adjust each new version. They listen to players with concerns and correct errors. OTOH, you could make the correction yourself using the OOB Editor and wait for the next patch...

6. niles

niles Well-Known Member

Stec (Wermacht) verses Niles (Royal Canadian Army)

We are going into our fourth turn. I spotted one of Stec's Tiger tanks the hard way. Hehe: Drive drive, BANG (dead truck).

Then I spotted an Ausf, an SP assault gun based on the PZ IV. Hehe: Drive drive drive BANG (another dead truck).

I am facing a classic dilemna:
    Wermacht Ubber Panzers verses Prairie farm boys!

...I don't think we're in Kanzas anymore, Toto...

Great game. Stec is a nice man. We are having lots of fun.

(I am a 42 year old KID, yes, a BOY!)

7. Amouse

Amouse FH Beta Tester

Re: Stec (Wermacht) verses Niles (Royal Canadian Army)

Give me, pls, link for SP!
    i want download & fight :)

8. --maty

--maty Well-Known Member

9. niles

niles Well-Known Member

Good idea Amouse

Amouse:

Need an opponent?

(sorry, I don't speak Russian and I hope you understood)

10. niles

niles Well-Known Member

We are now on our sixth turn.

I have a few Achilles Tank Destroyers down below the northern hill Stec holds. 17 pounders on board. Those guys are fighting like lions!

Stec's Stugs up in the hill have been taking a beating and a bunch of pesky armoured cars are distracting them and keeping them off-balance. Methinks they are there to observe and be cannon fodder and take the shots meant for those Tigers which (I just know!) are coming...

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, neither of us know where the other guy's main body is, our lines are oblique, there is much fog of war and our infantry have yet to see the elephant...

:D This is more fun than spraying ammonia at bears! :D

Last edited: May 30, 2002