What keeps you here, at WBFH?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by -ALW-, Nov 17, 2011.

?

What keeps you here, at WBFH?

1. The community? (friends/rivals)

78.9%
  2. Boredom? (nothing else to do)

10.5%
  3. Hope things in game will improve? (developers showing their faces in the forum)

68.4%
  4. Other "simulators" are more stupid than this one?

36.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Why do some people leave and some stay, till the end.

Always wondered this when I see people leave after being shot down, and don't

come back. It usually meant they were saving the track because something didn't

seem right and they wanted to learn or see if something mischievous happened, or

they were having connect problems that caused the death or other incident. Well,

that was me. I am usually the last person in the arena when I'm there,

especially in the TA arena. I like to stick it out. I can get frustrated but,

trying something over and over, dying and dying, and dying, and dying, and dying

don't always keep me down and make me leave like so many other people. It's just

a game. Unlimited lives. It's free. When the devs screwed up the P-38

completely, I left, for good. That was, until the modeling was "corrected".

Now, when people leave, and don't come back, it's pretty much those people who

look at things differently. Aside real life circumstances of course....

Why existing people leave, who have played for years, and don't come back.
    In order of importance, taking account of a full arena, say 40 or 60+ users

online.

1. New version release with new problems (see 2. & 3.)
    2. Modeling too difficult or incorrect. over-modeling/under-modeling
    3. Inability to learn ACM or bombing strategies
    4. Players too difficult to combat, can't win or overcome (see 2. 1.)
    5. Too impatient to learn the game (see 2., 3., 4.,)
    6. Silence from developers (see all above)

For new users:
    A. Can't get game installed/loaded/started/instructions confusing and outdated/website outdated/forum full of odd and close to insane non-FH and non-WWII conversation/discussion of on-topic WBFH/WWII modeling and new aircraft yield more battle cries than the Main Arena.
    B. Can't learn to fly and shoot down enemy planes because aircraft are incredibly difficult to fly.
    C. Nobody online to shoot at. (see all above)

Don't get me wrong, I think exec and whomever the developers are (hiding), are doing a great job keeping this dead horse alive but, the focus really needs to be made upon new users. The veterans are getting tired and are leaving. Most have left, some are still here....but why.....

2. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

OK.... HERE it is !

Yes, getting new people to join is/should be Priority Number One.

Biggest "difficulty" I imagine is the complicated way of needing to load the

game and optional files for hi-res, sounds, etc. or as in my case; does not work!

After several attempt with my new computer using Vista Home 32 bit, the game does not work. I wrote down all the steps as per instructions, followed them completely and double checked and every time the game froze or worse the computer froze.

Life goes on and I find I need to spend less time in front of a computer. I am working too long in front of one and on line game playing is just not as fun as it was. Perhaps I am outgrowing computer games altogether.....

If the game was a one step easy install... well the temptation would still be powerful and who knows.... the joystick is almost new and still there under the desk........

Personally the game bugs were not that much of an issue.

The cheaters were far more an issue and spoiled the game for me far more than any technical problem..

I never played for the score or the streak. I played for the team and for winning, either one on one or team/side victory and base closing.

And without question the flight simulation.

WW2 flight simulation is the best.

and thank you admins and devs !!!!!!

3. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

"Non of the above"

and NO "woodpecker" option, please ! although that was always funny.....

4. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

My thought about "cheaters" has always been a weak argument in my opinion.

There should be an arena for new users to mess around without the impossible stalls/spins/blackouts/redouts

5. reuben

reuben Well-Known Member

I been absent for quite some time but what lured me in was the game, what kept me here was mainly the community.
    In yesteryears I could be quite frustrated rgd the game but then one could sit and chat a while with ppl one got to know.

Nowadays that is not an option becuase of the low number of ppl online when I look.

cheers

6. DZIVDZAN

DZIVDZAN Well-Known Member

From my last post about jets ... and exec rage about bans if some one talk about that and "other games", I was asking my self is there point to talk about anything.
    First when I got this game 2002/04 I spent a year off line, practice on drones, take off and take down, first time on arena crashed on take off so I back on drawing board and practice more, my first map was wbngs1 where I fly and shot down a lot of time.
    I came on this forum in 2004. As I can remember in that time was 70+ players. I saw 100+ and two servers cos with so many players on one server crashed every time.
    We come to present days, we all know what is situation and I want to ask some question off topic.
    Why are CoD and BF games with most users in the world. Is that about reality, about balance, about historical accuracy.
    The answer is NO, they only look good.
    In these days game need to look god if dev wants to be played.
    I have 39 Years soon 40, my point is that I would play Daley Thompson Decathlon (my first game on my first comp C64), I would play green beret, don king kong, Pac Man, Phoenix, ....
    What do you think how many new players you could find to play them? A few.
    I want to say that this game is to old to attract new users. I have friends who like flight sim, but they are laughing to me when they see what I am playing (their comment is: "how you can play the game with graphic like that, you have good comp you can play something better")
    The truth is I can, but this game has one major advantage on other flight sim (has one arena for fight).
    This game was made in '90's now is 2011 soon 2012, nothing last forever. We mast go forward.
    My point is that I don't want to kill FH, I just want a new platform for FH like IL2 or WB 2012 and there are ppl which work on this games. We have IL2 WBFH (you can read posts about progress) and we also have WBTH which use WB 2012 which is successor of original WB, on which FH is based.
    It si question does devs wants and have time to deal with new platform for FH or not, or they don't want (we could avoid a lot of compatbility complication whit new OS)
    New platform for FH and Cooperations is answer on all our problems.
    I hope I don't risk 14 day ban for this post, but I really want that FH idea last even trough new platform.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  7. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

"I hope I don't risk 14 day ban for this post, but I really want that FH idea last even trough new platform"

+1

the Maddox Games one hacked to be like FH, is one [nevermind] and is very hard to make work. Think WBFH is? Ha.

8. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

If they're going to judge a game by graphics, that's their loss.

9. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

How about spoiling this games playability? dogfights have no idea anymore since those super zekes and 109's & 190's.

This game is dead and no wonder, since it's fked up.

Huh.

I still play sometime since got good friends on TS with humour even all good in this once marvelous game is gone.

wish FH devdevdev's would make another 'server' with ver 1.42, and see which one guys choose to play in.

huh.

10. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

All of thee above, for me, it's a good dogfight. My computer/system is getting dated so I stay partly because of that but ien hit a home run when they developed this sim many moons ago, so the whole package of TOD and RPS and different maps is perfect here. I have met many great and nice people from all walks of life and some not so great and nice people too but that is to be expected. I have liked many of the newer additions of aircraft that have been added and different features too. But I must say I am saddened when I go to log on to find few or none in the arena. I know we can't go back to the grand days of 50 to 80+ in the arena but atleast the weekend sometimes the numbers are decent from Noon to 8PM (EST) see ya on :)

11. DZIVDZAN

DZIVDZAN Well-Known Member

We all judge anything on first look, girls, cars, games, ... it is in our nature. Before 10 years this game has good graphic (talk about 3D). Today you can find games with similar idea but better graphic and ppl who can pay for it to play, other who can't or don't want has 3 option
    1. play available lo graphic game
    2. play some available hacked game
    3. waiting

I didn't say it is easy, but ppl do it, aren't they? Also I know that after so many years of making changes on this game, isn't easy to say STOP. We need new platform which is easy for moding, has nice graphic for next 10 years and which is suitable to implement knowledge from last 10 years. But this is developer decision, they better know then we.

12. FranzAugust

FranzAugust Well-Known Member

woodpeckers

13. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

But there is one fact that I can't ignore, even now. Many people don't seem to want to participate in this community. I check now, and see 9 people have voted here. Many don't even fly but, alas....there at the bottom of my page here....16 are on But,.....sometimes 25 and up to 33 people viewing this forum topic area. But, they don't care to log in and vote? We see many of them in the arenas....up to 25 people sometimes....why don't they come in the forum and say "hi" at least. Or, make an opinion/suggestion, or offer help with SOMETHING to improve the game. :confused:

14. marvis

marvis Member

I don't post here ever so i hope that reflects my frustration with the current flight modelling. I know devs are probably sick of hearing about this stuff but I just have a hard time understanding how the FMs of certain planes get (imo) out of whack.

Awhile back the reds had an uber La5FN, then they had an uber Tempest. The La has been fixed and the tempest is currently unflyable. I agree they both needed to be changed for sure. Now with some small changes to spitfires and other planes (flight models), it's tough too compete. They are obviously slower than a 109 but they were supposed to outmanuever them. The spit5b/c especially are very hard to handle now with a slower roll rate and they spin like the old LAs. I know that golds should have an advantage early war but after flying the 109F2/4 and a6m I was like WOW! At the end of the war, without the tempest, I find reds are still chasing superior planes like the 109k4, 190D and me262.

I will never say that I am an excellent pilot and maybe this is all in my head, but i have been here a long time and I'm really disappointed with the red planes right now.

I have flown both sides for years and I have never seen it this one sided. Many hard-core golds might disagree but I have always loved gold planes even when reds had a couple uber models. I agree completely with alw when he said its frustrating when you fly for a long time and now certain planes are very difficult to fly compared to how you have flown them for 10+ years.

Well, those are my feelings on the game at this time. My friends/squad, and my love of WW2 history is what keeps me playing this game. However, the historical accuracy of FH now is starting to shake my love of it. I will continue to fly with my fellow Ghosts and I will keep chasing zekes and 109s from about d8 til they run too far away from me. Then I'll ditch and try again. (I say ditch because you can't land anymore due to the loss of honor in the game)

Forever a Ghost,
    Marvis

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  15. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

Good post Marvis.

This games has turned into russian & turkish neo-nazis playground whom don'y give a sht about honor, good gaming and respect to opponents IMHO.Good thing to fly uber zeke and Ju88 can also run from red fighters and also 10's and 190's can be ditched @ speeds of 450kmh + . FH rules ok! (check warbirds 2 forum @ facebook) :p

like this :

[​IMG]

16. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

They aren't really allowed to participate other than downloading client and deal with it. Unless you're in St. Petersburg, Moscow, Kiev, or whatever the fuck else in Western Russia, you really can't do much more than MS Paint some cockpits, or use some random installshield knockoff to make it a one click install.

[​IMG]

17. sufi

sufi Active Member

I started playing WBHF after IEN stopped supporting this version. I still enjoy the simulation, fly for both sides under different nicks, and try to educate/support new guys joining especially from Turkey.

18. sufi

sufi Active Member

Maybe displaced in this poll, but one reason why many people left/will left is still bad habbit of economy kill with a handfull people in arena.

19. Just Dave

Just Dave New Member

I've played for 10 years or so now. I keep coming back because it's so much fun. Over the past couple of months there have been several times we've had 20 or so players and the action is great.

If we could do anything to attract new players it would be to improve the ease of downloading and installing the game. Every game now is a one click download and most people have no clue how to do all that needs to be done to get this game going on their computer. When I've shown this game to people and let them play it they get hooked but they can't get it to work on their computer and lose interest.

The game play here can't be beat, period. You can find better graphics and better this and that, but the bottom line, for me, is the game play itself. Plus I really enjoy killing alw.

20. Just Dave

Just Dave New Member

Hmm, wonder if I can make comments yet.