Microshit(soft)

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by Jacobe, Nov 19, 2011.

1. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

I have to second that. Win 7 is a lot more stable and ATI drivers are shit.

On the other hand I hate some of the user interface "improvements" that they have introduced in Win7. But I guess you could get used to them.

2. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

Now I think I understand why my IL2 was jamming and slow...my craphics card NVidia Geforce 6200 512Mg card is in PCI slot..not AGP...am I right PCI slot for G-card is sht?

3. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

I do believe agp is better since it is a more direct connection to mobo, if I remember correctly.

4. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

PCI < AGP < PCI Express

This is a PCI slot:
    [​IMG]

If you are using this... upgrade :)

5. reuben

reuben Well-Known Member

meh, as long as you have went away from ISA, you have state of the art things :D

kind of ;)

6. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

I too think that Windows 7 is relatively stable; I've been using it for a long time at home and have had very few problems. I'm actually using a Radeon 6770 and have had no problems, but I keep my system very "spartan." IMHO a system is as stable as the stuff one puts on it ;)

From my work I've seen that SunOS will run forever under stress. Unfortunately, O'cle has now bought them, casting a shadow of future doubt ;)

For free-bee, open-source computational stuff, prolly one can't go wrong with CentOS. Real big-time clusters use RHEL, and usually the things that bring them down (or cause the admins to bring them down) are poorly written user code :) Or hackers ;)

7. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Stable. You mean that relative to what? Advice for wind 7 zombies, when it downloads the nonstop updates, you know those fuckin non-stop updates? Uh, when a little message says "Updates installed, do you want to reboot or wait?
    Reboot.
    Because if you wait, you are liable to forget that there is a two hour long wait while the son-of-a-bitch thing shuts off. And that would be just around the time you really needed the power to be OFF.
    You do not want to install updates on top of the previous layer of updates that you postponed, nope. That bricks Windows 7 and borks the whole fuckin setup.
    What a bunch of dinks, they cannot even get system updates right.

Since when doesn't the fucking spell checker speak English?
    Dink is a word.
    So is dinks.

8. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

When I say stable, I mean I never have blue screens, never crash with 7. I don't think I've ever had a crash on this box. Today I spent about 30 minutes trying to update a linux box (but it was problematic, special packages). Sometimes we run into issues involving hardware and software. I don't live in a fantasy world; I use computers.

Every few weeks I may need to wait a bit while there's an update, but to me that doesn't seem terrible.

I'm not saying that I'd use Doze on a supercomputer, but at home it's not bad. And I can play WBFree and latest Rise of Flight on the same box, no problems :)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  9. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

You were running a kernel? How do you do that?

What distro of GNU+linux?
    Why the fuck were you installing shit that was outiside that distro's repos? You stepped outside of an area you should have stayed IN, you dolt. Stay with your windows and keep it. Your windows [not an OS, it is a DE on top of an OS, but you wouldn't know, as you speak American, not English] makes a better spreadsheat than linux kernel does and your windows can run WINDOWS exes [sometimes wooptie fuck doo].

I use computers too.
    PC (does not) = MSWindows

10. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

well tomorrow I just might bite it, get an old computer and joystick, load

either Win2000pro FAT32 or Win7 super dooper version, maybe dual boot it if I load 2000pro first...

and maybe , just maybe I will be able to fly FH again....

Xmas present to self... my, how the mighty have fallen....

that old addage about "a group of fellow sufferers is a miserable kind of comfort"

:shuffle:

11. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Beware of SATA n PATA Unless you like to slipstream your own Windows7, XP, 2000, 2003, 2008 installer DVD. If you gonna use an 'old' computer, use one that came with 98. Make sure there are IDE or EIDE [or ATA?] drives in it.
    I cannot name witch versions of the 'COMPATABLE' wonder of an OS that MSWindows is..... But some can see a hard drive and some can't. Yeah, get a copy of windows 98, it will load and install in your P2 with IDE, EIDA and ATA drives. Don't ask for support, as MS doesn't support their OSes, only a couple of them, the rest they ignore, and so do their lawyers. You should too.

12. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

I like samba. I like MS HomeGroup too. Samba I can get to work via my GNU+Linux boxes. MSHomeGroup won't.
    Samba works because the US Government was put under pressure to open the protocal so that people with OTHER OSes could access the very convenient network. MS wouln't have made any effort, they would have continued in their fantasy world [fantasy.... PC= MSWindows] and ignored other worthy means of communications, it is as if MS re-invented the electrical grid and made it all wierd voltages, strange and fucked up rythms [see 60Hz yankee eye-strain patents] and incompatability between patented systems.
    Fuck em.
    I am glad Samba [SMB] was made accessable to ALL of us. I am aware also that MS was FORCED to do that and too, that they wouldn't have done it if a bunch of Lawyers didn't get together for an all expensises paid trip, hookers, limos cocaine, boys, sheep.
    Never mind.
    I have a year old PC here. It is fine, works like a top. UNless I am running MSWindows 7 in it. It is slow, always cashing shit into the disks, making my mous stop and sit for ten seconds while the caching fisihes up. It is downloading shit constantly, never seems to stop. I keep getting the advice to reboot, as the update is now finished, yet I just went through that crap yesterday... It overheats, I mean dreadfully overheated, such that the fucking thing locks up when the temp gets too high. A sticker says on the fucking thing "Made With WIndows 7" Indeed.
    I know how to set up windows. I know about not connecting to the net until I have installed clam AV and ZonAlarm. I know I have to turn off eye candy [becuase I don't care about eye candy nor pretty graphic overhead that overheats the hell out of my box]. I know what I am doing.
    ANd here is this one year old computer shutting down, rebooting, grinding the hdd, taxing the video heat sink to it's fill then poof... etc
    I did it at christmas. It has been 4 days and I have had enough.
    Fuck I am glad I have three PCs.

SX-2802c + Linux Mint 12 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    YEAH, it is like sticking my [deleted] into a woman I haven't [deleted] for a year. I feel like, "Mmmm, she feels as good as she did last time I mounted her!"
    Nice to be back into my favorite [deleted].

MS, fuck you very much!

13. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Great. Installed one of my favorite GNU+Linux distros. It was breakfast time. I have been using it, between snack breaks, since. The fan has turned on for, perhaps ten minutes in that many hours. I hold my hand over the case and it is cool.
    The HDD in which the GNU-Linux is installed is 40 degrees c.
    It was 75 when MSWindows was grinding it.... That is hot, scsi or not, it is too fuckin hot. I don't know what the temp is inside my video card... But the mainboard cooling fan is sleeping. Nice long sleep.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  14. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Hey Hezey, wasn't trying to upset you :)

Note that I didn't state a preference for Doze, just that it suits my needs at the moment. Of the three PCs at my work desk, two are dual-boot and one is fully a one-off Linux distro made just for my place of work. So I'm rather agnostic about it all.

Computers are like cars to me. I can commute to work in any car, really. I would prefer a [insert favorite dream car here] on sunny weekends to be cool, but I don't need it and may rarely use it. And in fact driving a nice car to work would result in a lot of damage to it (parking deck, very busy traffic). My microwave is old, but it makes popcorn. Sorry for all of the metaphors, but you would prolly agree.

15. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Before I read past the first sentence of your reply, hey, no sweat, haven't you gotten it into your pointy little head yet that this is my writing style?
    FUCK.
    :fly2:
    I, a GNU+Linux user, am devout, not as crazy as RMS, no, I pay for some good software, have bought even MS stuff, some of it.
    MS is in a dream world of their own making. And we have to walk about in it. I feel like a sighted man in a world of blind people.
    [it is not PC to call a blind man a stupid moron, and dodge his blows so easily.]
    Try installing windows into a dual boot after the GNU+Linux is in it resident, you will see how MS really cares about their customers, they don't. They delete your MBR, don't even ask, don't even recognize any other partitions, etc. Is that insane?
    Try using the XFS in a windows box, or patching a different scheduler into the kernel.
    Pft.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  16. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

LIGHTHOUSE 64 - a puppy Linux Puplet.

HOLY FUCK.

[​IMG]

This version is beta, I think it is beta4. Soon to go gold. Help out, try it, give some feedback to the devs.

Don't ask me how to get it to work, you better learn to read, Linux has been demonstrating [so has MS, in fact] the shit you can cause when you do not RTFM. Oh, I will modify that. MS hasn't a manual, they just have a lot of lore on the internet, and nobody knows what to do except click the icon and another and another and then go read their 'Canadian Drugs!' email.

17. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Any of you dolts tried Windows8 yet? I don't have the real thing yet, I just have some sort of demo... It has the gui up and a few fairly useless apps, but serves well for people to get a look at the OS.

Who was it recommended the VERY FUNNY Hollywood Film called Idiocracy?
    Funny movie, simple, not much plot, but it was still well done, if you are into light laughs.

UNFORTUNATELY, Windows8 ain't funny, it is more of a tragedy.
    That effort looks like the sort of push-button world the film portrayed.

If Windows8 succeeds, I am going to jump off a bridge. No! Back up a bit, no, I wouldn't, sorry;
    I will throw you off instead, you fuckin morons.

18. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

19. Higgns

Higgns Well-Known Member

How many icons are in your systray?

20. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Who's system tray?