109 was better according to Bulgarian pilot for Mcloud thread

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by black hornet, Mar 8, 2012.

1. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Where did you get these references? Most Sherman tanks ran on DIESEL !!!!!!

GM 6-71s twin engines running in opposite direction with single common driveshaft. If one engine was hit, it could be clutched-out and run on one engine, there were tons of them made. Those gasoline engined versions were only in the first few months of production.

2. looseleaf

Yes, German turbines did not have American metal, that's why 262s engines lasted no more than 50 hours.

Superior technology is what made American production better than any other country's. That's what won the war.

BTW: did you read that part about when Germans decided to scrap the 109 when the new bigger V-12s were being built? Germany was all set to order Italian planes to replace them. Some considered it the best fighter aircraft to fly. Even Chuck Yeager said he really liked flying it when it was tested after the war.

Oh, speaking of advanced V engines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_AS.6

and airplanes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macchi_M.C.72

and jets:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caproni_Campini_N.1

:D

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  3. black hornet

black hornet Well-Known Member

No links, hence your statements do not have credibility. & Chuck Yeager said the Dora was the best machine he ever flew.

also as the "Dora-9" or the "Langnasen Dora," was described by no less an authority than Chuck Yeager as "the best piston-engine fighter I ever flew," from his days at Wright Field immediately after the war when he participated in the flight testing of captured enemy aircraft. http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/axis ... averd9.htm

Germany had an interest in the G 55 is all.

2 of my uncles were WW 2 vets,another a Korean war vet. & I have spoken with many invloved in the war. Don't lecture me that I should speak with persons involved in the war. & send your personal insults where they belong, you can guess where that is.

4. black hornet

Sorry for double post.

109 was to be replaced with 209 II which was built with 60% same parts as 109 & larger DB 603 motor. Scrapped when Galland said the 209 didn't climb better than 109, plus 262 & FW 190 longnose projects seemed to have more promise.

If you'd like to prove most Shermans ran on diesel, please provide references.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  5. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

They were only called 'Ronsons' for the first few months of production.
    Later on they were called
    "Holy fuck they are thousands of em, they just keep coming!"
    Nevermind.

6. looseleaf

go back to school and learn your manners kid. How many combat pilots did you interview?

How many REAL test pilots of WW2 and recently did you interview?

Germany had far more than an interest in the G55, they sent a team to Italy and had prepared an order for 5,000 units. There were at least 5 special test planes with the new bigger V12s.

Yeager said a lot of things. When did he tell you anything?

I said Yeager said it was the "best handling single engine fighter" of all the WW2 propeller planes. NOT his favorite, not the best fighter.

Remember he said: "The first time I saw a Me262, I shot it down."

7. looseleaf

It was the Sheridan tank that was called "Ronson".

Even though a majority of Shermans were built with gasoline motors, they were used in training in the US and were sold to Lease-Lend countries.
    By D-day and the PTO, the majority of Shermans used by the US Army were the GM 6-71 twin diesel powered.

Go do the research yourself: look up M4A2.

:D

8. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Too bad but: End of WW2, Europe had all sorts of broken war machines lying around. Very few people were interested in sticking some of them in a barn and just waiting, for the airshows of the future. Too bad about that.
    War machines are like tim cans, they are purpose built and then are thrown away, nobody cries about tossing them in the bin.
    Some of Italy's warplanes were beautiful and flew nicely.
    And the Sherman Tank? That was purpose built too. It wasn't very good, it was good enough. Like a can.
    You two tools should stop hate-arguing. I like reading your knowledgeable debate, but the hate is getting me down.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  9. looseleaf

The Sherman tank, like the T-34 was the most effective war machine on the ground: simple, fast easy to fix and ample parts and service. That wins wars, even with terrible generals (like Monty-total whacked-out of his mind upper class twit- very well connected old boy network- you know he had his purple bedroom slippers monogrammed "left" and "right", designed his own uniform and hat?. Yet he was a party animal according to some reports). After the war, those salvaged Shermans were a god-send to war-torn Europe. Those diesel engines were put to use from stationary power plants to barges, to boats, to trucks and trains.

Hez, I have nothing to do with hate. just not my thing, I am a beacon of Love, and I spread my love all over here.... :D . I provide light and alternative knowledge from my personal research and experiences.. all that I can legally give... :D .

I do not hate anyone here.

10. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

True about the Sherman. I know it gets a lot of bad rep for its "meager" performance against Tigers and Panthers, but what most people tend to overlook is the fact that tank-vs-tank was relatively uncommon. Tank-vs-infantry/anything-but-tanks was far more common, and the Shermans were absolutely adequate in that role while also far cheaper to produce and maintain than the German uber-Panzers, which were, by comparison, rather less effective (efficient) than the older but still quite lethal Panzer IVs.

11. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Grrrr ... double post ... frickin' internets ...

12. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

NM.
    Some sites are long to load. Like this one.

13. black hornet

Ah yes, the Sheridan, how many of these were built? & where is your source for those mysterious Italian torpedoes? & American metal in the 262 turbines??

I've chatted with Tuskeegee airmen, Japanese ace Mike Kawato & others. Which has no bearing on Yeagers views.

Lets have those sources, Sheridans, Italian Torps & US built 262 turbines, did Roosevelt ship it in secretly by submarine perhaps? How did it get there?

14. black hornet

Getting back to P-51, the USA with all its enormous industrial facilities & endless supply of raw materials needed a small country like Britain to supply the motor which made the P-51 great, the Merlin. Germany had no such luxuries. Also a German designer, ( Edward Schmued), to design much of the P-51.

Britain also profited from foreign help, Spifire cannon was originally Swiss, machine guns American, Carb American, ( Bendix), & wing influenced by Heinkel HE 70. French supercharger input as well. Gunsight was Scottish.

A significant advance in supercharger design was the incorporation in 1938 of a two-speed drive (designed by the French company Farman) to the impeller of the Merlin X
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Merlin

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  15. looseleaf

NO ! I said the 262 DID NOT HAVE HIGH TEMP STEEL ALLOYS THEREFORE THE ENGINES ONLY LASTED 50 HOURS.

Who had Turbo-superchargers other that the P-38?

They were Italian torpedo triggers, best at the time.

Go find the order that the American general said "no gasoline powered tanks for overseas-Eruope. and the Marines used some in the Pacific.

When was D-day? When were the M4A2 issued.

Did you ever talk with ETA American and Free French tank commanders?

Well I did. They were all gmc-6-71s

After the war there were 1000s sold or gotten free in France/Italy.
    GM was selling hundreds, thousands of conversion gear kits to make the second engine rotate the right way after the war.
    They were not selling them for gasoline engines !!!!!

Get your lazy ass off the chair and go read books, I did this research over 20+ years ago, I am NOT going to retrieve information for some anal retentive that wants everything his way.

If General Yeager's daughter told you what her father told her and her son-in-law, are you going to call her a liar?

You know if I were not a gentleman, I would tell you to do something, you and your horse.

But seriously, do some real research... you're starting to lose it.

16. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Nobody ever demands sources from me, because I am a lying bastard and everyone knows it. So they listen up, because I dream up some great stuff. Like:
    Yankees used the merlin because they are a RESULTS ORIENTED RACE OF PEOPLE.
    Technology is not proprietary no matter how hard shysters try to keep it secret [and traitors like the Rosenbergs]
    P-47 had a turbo supercharger, eh?
    [Uh. P-39?]
    [Uh, P-40?]
    I might be wrong. I think they were turbine driven.....

I got no time for turbine driven fuck them, better are trannies.
    :UU:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  17. looseleaf

Nope. only the P-38 had turbo-superchargers, all others shaft driven superchargers.
    You're right: There are really no secrets in "technology" to the thinking person. It's difficult to hide. They can only delay the discoveries by someone else. Rosenbergs' case was really a shady deal. Sure they were guilty as Hell, but the people who were above them were known and they got away with it. Fuchs who worked at Los Alamos ran away and others got-off. Unfortunately there were even bigger "secrets" that could have gotten a lot more people hanged. So it was get rid of some patsies as usual. Slaughter of the nebbish .....

18. T-U-R-B-O

T-U-R-B-O Member

:nono:

[​IMG]

19. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

It's even worse these days. Perhaps there are no secrets in technology, at least for long, but we should make them as difficult difficult to acquire as possible. And we suck at it.

Something tells me you know: we are screwed :)

Last week I put a picture of James Jesus Angleton in a PowerPoint, and no one seemed to notice (at least openly), lol. Oh well, time marches on, the world changes, painful lessons must necessarily be re-experienced.

These days it's weird. You never know what grad student might appear expressing interest in Farsi or something. But it's rare.

I'm old and confused :)

20. looseleaf

You are referring to the P-47M. There were 130 built and were used starting in March 1945 in the ETO.

Hardly worth mentioning compared to thousands of P-38s :nono:

Yes, we know how important turbos are.. especially to you,:D every turbo counts!