Force Feedback

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by milten, Jun 8, 2002.

1. lucull

lucull Well-Known Member

I'm pretty happy with M$ Sidewinder Precision Pro for about 4 years. Very accurate, no deadband and no calibration needed. Some month ago I had the problem, that button 2 and 3 got activated by no reason, but it's gone. Maybe some dirt :D

I think MS hardware is really great, why not the software? [​IMG]

2. Stefan

Stefan FH Beta Tester

Now I use Saitek Cyborg 3D gold
    Last year i use MS SWP 2
    IMHO Saitek Cyborg 3D gold is better stik when MS SWP 2.
    I think that next stik Saitek FFB.

3. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Hmm... No Suncom users in here? :)

I'm pretty happy with my <gameport interface> Suncom F-15 Raptor (License-built in Brasil). Got it for around $40 bucks 3+ years ago.. It has built-in rudder and throttle, but I don't use them, too slow for me. I prefer rudder and throttle on keyboard.

First problem just appeared a month ago, when I pushed the fire button with too much Energy. :D Its plastic holders ripped off, but I used some silver-tape and now it is ok again, still being pressed with high energy. :)

Also, no deadband after all these 3+ years of stick-stirring. :D

I'm thinking about getting an USB version of this joy with a Suncom SFS throttle quadrant and rudder pedals. I wish that our currency could rise its value in relation to U.S. dollar again so I can buy stuff in dollar. :)

4. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I have a Logitech Wingman Digital 3D, and since quite flights, it has given to me no problem. I don't know other joys, but this one (without Force Feedback model) seems quite good to me. Just an oppinion

5. thomba

thomba Well-Known Member

i am using MS Sidewinder FFB1 since 1997 (!) w/o probs.

in wb, forces are dwn and i am ruddering with simped pedals. great feeling !

6. --leo-

--leo- Well-Known Member

i have the same problem with my logitech force feedbackstick
    somtime i want to :dark: him but its a good stick coast me 50 ?

7. BarT

BarT Well-Known Member

i like this one
    also using it for 2 weeks =]
    btw : it has some mechanical problems at X-axis (right-left) after 2 weeks of using... R O F L M A O :super:
    it sux but also is extremly easy to repair
    anyway, next one i buy some shitty ms with FF propably...
    after 15 of july i give it back to logitech to fix it... 15 - it's 302's meeting :)

Attached Files:

8. BarT

BarT Well-Known Member

OH, and the HUT rubber is very shitty thing... it wiped off strongly after, as mentioned upper, 2 weeks of flying..

don't buy this shit if not living near lolo-- , ouer 302's wingman-know-how-mr-fix-it-guru :)

9. mexlife

mexlife Well-Known Member

Conclusion:

DON'T BUY LOGITECH. I think Broz is the only person who owns a logi that works.

If you have one and need help repairing it, you could contact JG13's Apocalypse; he's an expert repairing them (from buying so many that keep breaking) AFAIR He has ~5 of them (and keeps buying some). He helped me anyway.

And, Zembla, I almost bought that joy w/ throttle but it looked too flimsy to me. I didn't know if it was going to last... but apparently it does

10. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I hope my joy keeps working like that for a very very long time :joystick:

11. Stefan

Stefan FH Beta Tester

Logitech is not programming stik.
    Saitek FFB programming all Windows
    Saitek Cyborg 3D gold programming only W9x version Windows :(

12. beerme

beerme Well-Known Member

Not true! drivers for Win2K and XP are available from Saitek website. I use cyborg gold 3d with XP. :joystick:

13. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

Sure as hell lasts, if you think of the harsh forces of nature that have free play on it... oh well, it's a great thingy... really, nothing like the Saitek X36 or so, but I wouldn't want that one anyway, I just need something that has a comfy grip, is smooth, steady, and doesn't break into two halves when I pull one max G turn too many...

And about Apoc's joystick collection... I'll have to drop by with him to check that out, coz AFAIR I've seen 2 sticks at his place ;) but I guess he can fix em coz he had some terrible stick to start flying WB with (to quote him "Something you get for free with your breakfast cereals")

Promet's pretty good at repairing malfunctioning sticks too, not that I needed any of his advice, but sometimes I see him giving it to other - less lucky - pilots...

greetz, Zembla

14. Stefan

Stefan FH Beta Tester

but i use W2K
    Cyborg 3D Gold not programing for W2K

15. Perdomo

Perdomo Well-Known Member

I just bought (yesterday) a new Saitek x45, to replace my precedent shitty LT. I have to get used to it yet, but it looks like a great joystick. Anybody has one? I need some help with configuration, It works good, but has a lot of options that warbirds doesn't recognize (I can only use one of it's HATs, it has a "pointer" that should replace mouse that doesn't work, a button that should replace mouse button1 and it doesn't work neither...)

It's possible to configure them, but seems pretty hard, and they have to be "linked" to the *.exe that starts the game. In this case, is it FreeHostlauncher.exe? or this only makes possible to connect and then launches warbirds.exe? to which one must I link the configuration? has anyone this joystick and an SGE made for it? I checked saitek's hp, and I saw a config file to use with x36 for warbirds, but not for my x45 and with freehost....

I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance

16. beerme

beerme Well-Known Member

17. Prometeo

Prometeo Well-Known Member

For people having problems in joystick's axis stabylity and accuracy.
    Note: this system won't work with optical joysticks.
    The solution is very simple and cheap, and the result is perfect.
    Open your stick, find the variable resistors (4 of them in a 3Dstick), and use an "anti oxyde spray" (you can buy it in any elecronic supply shop for about 5-7$) inside them. Move the stick for some seconds, then let the liquid work for 10 more miutes.
    After having reassembled it, it's accuracy will be the same as new.
    I've been using this system with all my wheels/sticks in last 4 years(periodically each 6 months), and they all work perfectly.

Best regards

Prometeo

PS: looking at the resistor witout seing any oxide does not mean that it is not oxidated: a very small amount of it (not perceptible by human eye) is widely enough to make a joy work very bad.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2002
  18. picommander

picommander Member

Old (2 years at least) SW FF pro with Hofmann rudder pedals
    http://home.t-online.de/home/d-hofmann/
    Stick is ok for me though I didn't use any other FF-stick before I can not compare.
    There is a small problem with that stick together with the Hofmann pedals:
    Sometimes the views are switching by random. Some times ago I mailed Hoffman and got a detailed answer.
    In short this stick produces some dirty output which is normally filtered out by the interface.
    The Hofmann module needs that signals as I understand this and thus the 'bad' signals come through.
    He told me about a longer correspondence with M$ which only shows that M$ don't provide any
    support for that old stick (no new drivers for instance).
    Strange enough this behavior (the 'switch views') dosn't occure on every application, e.g. it's gone with WB3...

19. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

I've also just brought a saitek force stick (replacing my trusty old 3D Cyborg gold because I broke the trigger off and the hat left has gone) sadly I'm not overly impressed the centre deadband is huge for a new stick and when it does engage it gives a big wad of input. (seems to be mainly in the pitch department)

My accuracy has gone from 16% down to 10% in a couple of days :(

depressed cos I currently can't hit a barn door from 10 feet.

Are you having the same problem miltern? And any ideas how to solve it?

Malino :(

20. Prometeo

Prometeo Well-Known Member

If the hardware deadband of your new stick is wider than the previous you need to set the software deadband in WB setup suitable for new stick, so that no reaction occours until the springs contrast stick's movement: you basically have to increase software deadband.

I hope this is useful

Best regards

Prometeo
    JG13 Loki's Kinder - Hela Jasta