What are we going to do?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by flygod, Apr 17, 2013.

1. tazman88

tazman88 Well-Known Member

We have tried advertising on forums, but I dont think that will work. In person will probably go much smoother. I know one person that has already said that they are willing to try the game and I will start teaching that person soon. There is also one more that might be interested, but Im not sure how serious he is. I think that if all the regulars focus on getting just one person to join, we can double our roster. If we do that once every month, we can restore the roster fairly quickly. But people have to be diligent and willing to approach just one person (which is fairly easy to do). Tell your girlfriend/wife about it and say that its a "bonding activity":alc:. Approach your friends and challenge them to learn. So do you personally know of anyone that might be interested in this game?

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  2. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Well, beating a dead horse again with this. This is such an old subject it isn't funny.

To me, the primary problem and solution become simpler to understand as time goes on here. It's really a matter of what the other sims offer as apposed to this simulator if people are going to stay.

I will lay out some reasons.
    The bad about WBFH
    1. Reputation - Exposure - WBFH...who is that? Who knows to look for it? Website looks outdated, old, inactive.
    2. Modeling is too difficult
    3. Limited or zero attendance
    4. Old school style simulator graphics

1. When people look for a flight simulator, they don't look for some free online flying option. They probably type out "WWII simulator" "WWII dogfights" "P51 Mustang, Spitfire, Zero, Messerschmidt, P-38, P-39, etc" If they typed out an aircraft type or maybe a gun type or machine gun type, rockets missiles, etc they may stumble upon WBFH. Not sure if google searches will find WBFH.

2. Modeling in my opinion has been over-rated and over-complicated. The aircraft need to perform like they did IRL, and like aircraft should IRL. There should be an arena where beginners can jump in, fight, and have fun. Not worry about stalls, spins, blackouts, redouts, collisions, etc.

3. See 1 & 2. This is something I've pondered and realized quickly. It's a bit of psychology. When someone pays to use an online game, they will log in and use it, because they are paying for it. Because WBFH is free, nobody feels the need to use it because it's free, and ideas and changes fall on deaf ears too many times because it's free. Think about it.

4. Lets face it. The graphics presentation is really really old school. Compared to the eye candy of today's simulators, WBFH is way behind. If WBFH was to accommodate other simulators, which probably wouldn't happen due to copyrights, people would have reason to attend. Especially the money wise folks. Myself, I don't find paying monthly fees a problem when there are hundreds of pilots attending and with non-stop activity.

Food for thought here exec/archer/gil/rgreat/al developers, and others.....

If you went to an event that requires multiple participants to make the event function, and you find just one or a couple there, it's no fun and won't work. How many times do you all load the FHLauncher, see nobody in the arenas, and go....eh, nobody on, and log off. C'mon bullet, taz, flygod, hez, cloud, boa, exec....you all do that too. I'll bet there are on occasion 10 -15 people daily that check the arenas, from different parts of the world, at different times and DO NOT jump into the arenas. And I bet the majority of them do not participate in the forum at all, and think it's dead, but, hey the server is up yet? Hmmm:deal: .

How about this...If there was a soccer field/basketball court, and people were showing up there and seeing other people heading there or leaving, these people would chat, and hang around and see more coming, and realize that there ARE people showing up, and some fun can be had. You just CANNOT see them with the FHLauncher. We don't see people loading FHLauncher and checking the arenas. THIS is the reason I many times will just open the WBChat so I have a presence in arena and MANY times I'll see people show up, and I've seen it happen where we have over 10 people in the TA before, just showing up BECAUSE there is someone there.

If there was a way to make the FHLauncher show your presence when logging in, say, with a chat window, I think that would make a big difference.
    There are millions of people in this world, and there must be at least 40 or 50 of them who would join in on the fun. It's free to use. No catch! I've thought...you know, there MUST be at LEAST one person in each state here that would join the fun. That would be 50+ people.

So, either you guys could load FHLauncher and open WBChat from an arena or, we have to change the launcher software. I have no idea what it takes to carry out the latter.

On the bright side, I don't see this game dying off. It may be outdated but, what about other things we still watch and participate which are way older than WBFH, or computers. Baseball, Soccer, Football, Golf, Bicycle Racing, Tennis, Basketball, Hockey....these are old old games but, people still play and pay to attend/watch these things. WBFH has a great concept, we just have to make the arenas look non-dead!

Back in the day, I used to ignore the arena if there were only 5 or 8 people on. That's when we had large numbers on!

3. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

[EDIT]
    NEVER MIND.
    I SPELLED IT

hezzey
    and the password was as I stored it in my old yahoo [spam] email account.

LOOK FOR A USER CALLED HEZZEY
    That is me.
    I am no good and never was.
    But I know the planes histories so can talk the talk.
    Just can't walk the walk, and never could.
    So don't expect anything from me I even botch Li flights.
    Also I have found my old password for a nick rudboy
    Please old friends [and new, indeed] which one should I pick?
    rudboy is from my prefucked-up-health days.
    hezzey is from after, I call these years 0, 1, 2, 3 and 4 AD which means Anno D'Hezey Latin for
    'EVERY DAY IS PIZZA TIME'

---------------the original post, an overture-------------------------------

This thing almost works. The pull down menu for choosing planes is buggered. It doesn't diplay anything except the top, the slot, uh, I don't know what it is called. I can see the names of the planes I am looking through, in the one little slot, where the choice is displayed. IF I try to use scroll wheel, I am boot to desktop. IF I use the down and up keys it lets me chose a plane, but if I hit that too fast, booted to desktop again.
    I think that is something to do with transition, or whatever that is called, the instructions for how to remedy that are for windows 7 and prior. Windows 8 is, typical of MS, trying to reinvent the horses ass and things ain't called the same in all MS windows crap, from version to version.
    The thing I am supposed to tick to make it not drop to desktop is not appear in windows 8, everything is re-worded and if I just choose 'performance, I can play the game but the result is the above.
    I AM HITTING TARGET with eggs from a buff though.
    Windows 8 is a reality. Devs, modify the instructions so that we can use win 8 to host the game too.
    It shouldn't be that hard and I am not gonna slave to help out as nobody gave a fuck when I did that before, remember the config matrix I dew?

But Hezey, what's a matrix?, is that Sci Fi Film? {NO, you fucking dummies]

:cheers:
    Sorry if I have just took a shit on this thread.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  4. tazman88

We are not trying to win the award for "Most Awesome Second World War Flight Simulator" so we don't have to beat the hell out of the competition. We don't even need to be on par. To be honest, I would be more than satisfied if we simply grow the number of dedicated regulars from 5 to 35 on a continuing basis. I would rather have 1 regular than 7 ephemeral quitters.

I think you are right about the login process though. I check the server on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, sometimes multiple times per day and I dont enter the arena if no one is there. Hanging in wbchat would probably be a better idea.

I still think that recruitment would not hurt us. Hopefully those two people that I will teach will like the game as much or more than I do.

You mentioned stalls, so easyflight is disabled? Last time I checked someone could simply set easyflight on and fly without stalls. If it was removed, I don't know why. It probably happened while I was on a hiatus and I never noticed.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  5. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

rudboy is a good one. I remember that one. You were a cantankerous fellow. Umm...ARE a cantankerous fellow! :cheers:

If you have information to that "matrix", put that link in your signature. I do that for the things I've created or important info. :mafia:

6. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

I am like that grouchy old bastrd in the crew who bitches about everything while he is buy the drinks.
    The crew will turn on him if he says, well, everyone has had a beer, time for us to go.
    And yeah that civil engineering [101] All Possible Results matrix? I will see if I can find it.
    Because it just worked.
    But nobody ever typed here, HEY, hezey, it was a simple GIFF with ALL I NEEDED TO DO! You are a good thinker! Oh no. Instead I didn't get so much as a pat on the bald spot.
    I had everything cover, a cross indexed list of functions and gltiched associated with em and how to get and end reult on the right side of it.
    But all the fuckin genious here wanted some BD [ Doctorate of Bullshit] type to make a big complex task list that was no more effective that the gif I made.

I swear to god, some people can be educated and learn fuck all, man.

Once I was fourty I learned that crew craved a man who could think and the bozz saw it too and then I started to be delegated stuff and then had to buy the beer after. FUCK THAT. I dropped out.
    It can be a drag to be a 160 IQ goon-spoon driver.

[goon-spoon = shovel or, uh Hand Tools like wheel barrows and, uh, buckets and, uh, freezing cold steel cables in winter, uh goon spoons]
    :eek:

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  7. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

taz, I logged into the arena the other day only 1 person f-i-ll or something like that. and then another logged in as I was checking the radar, then as soon as they entered they left, leaving myself(red) and fill (gold) already in the air above radar. Now this happens or has happened to me quite a bit, so I check fields for damage from a bomber, so i can get aloft and find and try to kill the bomber, but alot of the time it is just plain boring I want a quick dogfight or two, but these days no (except maybe on week-ends. here is my suggestion, get rid of the blind spot of the radar so when someone pops on they can find someone to fight ! If i log on and some one is in the air (enemy) and I do not see them on radar or see a field that is damaged, then I'm logging off because I refuse to waste time finding some one I can't see and kills a field and then dives away faster then I can climb or chase them. To me it is NO FUN so I leave. I truely miss the days when many flew and you could get into a dogfight almost instantly basically when it was a combat flight sim a dogfight sim with mud movers too. Boy those were the days. :(

8. tazman88

Yeah I am not fan of the radar alt limit either

9. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Simulation algorithm hacks in the name of 'Playability.'
    Or
    I wonder if any devs here ever studied game theory?
    I know they are hackers, but what sort of hackers. People been hacking algorithms for a long time, and they are just people..... capable of enormous errors in logic. And better, tiny [in the real world] harmless ones.
    Back in the day, we used to play games on a table and spend loads of time bitching about rules that are injected into rules-books for playability.
    Once played a Tactical Level Simulation of Battle at La Haye Sainte, which was in Belgium, in 1815, I am sure you have heard of it. The English called it Waterloo.
    Never mind.
    When cavalry did a charge a whole subset of rules hack was used and basically it was a hyperspace drive for cavalry. THAT really pissed me off.
    I spent a year playing it, then a cat destroyed the setup [it is on a table]. So set it up all again and spent another year, the cat didn't destroy it. But I learned something about game theory, some people just cannot get a grasp of it, like me....
    And some of those who tinker with this FH perhaps? Hmmmm.
    Sorry. Is this OT? I dunno.
    If we had wanted, we could have just agreed to not use the rules hack, but we were too committed by all the time spent wrestling with the game system.
    Yes, we used to play strategy and tactics simulations without computers.
    Steam technology? Perhaps, but people aren't any smarter than they were....

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  10. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

game theory and play theory patterns are different things. (if you believe a pal with a math diploma
    and we failed play patterns for novices, i condemn.