109G2 - just broke speed of sound

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by lepper, Jul 30, 2006.

1. lepper

lepper Well-Known Member

At MA i took 109G2 with 250 kg bomb and 100% of fuel. Then i climbed it to 11500m. When i reached some speed i put it to dive straight down. Using trimms i continued dive to about 4 km. IAS indicatior showed me, that i was traveling at speed of 1300 km/h. When recovering from dive there was about 8-9 G applied to airframe. And still 250 kg bomb attached. No damage at all.

GREAT plane !
    Chuck Yeager is sucker :)

2. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    Wow.

3. Fucketeer

Fucketeer Banned

WTG RGREAT! :)

4. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

hm IAS 1300 km/h, wonder what the TAS would be...

5. Fucketeer

Fucketeer Banned

Bear one thing in mind: the elevator trims start to shudder near lightspeed.

6. lepper

lepper Well-Known Member

of course TAS speed :)
    My mistake

7. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

I remember when 109f4 came out, it was 4.5 times better than a spit. The golds would say "That's how it was in real life", lol

109's are allergic to blackouts and redouts too. Spit is redout/blackout/redout/blackout. Just like real life ;-)

I also like the way the he177 gets off the ground 3 seconds after you hit the gas, lol. Best bomber in world war 2, lol. I think they call it "Fahrvergnugen".

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  8. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

Lepper you know in real life a 109 was better than a spit in a dive right? ;-)
    That's why there are still 30,000 109's flying around in the skies over Europe. If a mustang or spitfire gets on their 6, the 109 pilots just go into a dive like at FH, and get away. Everyone knows that a 109 has better high speed handling than a spit and can out dive it too.

:fly2:

9. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

yeah and everyone knows not all 109's made it out of a high speed dive...

10. --q---

--q--- Well-Known Member

devs should concentrate on fixing things before braking more like the 190 pitch compresibility

11. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

lookout with such statements, q
    maybe they actually 'fixed' 190 :) or at least they think so :D

12. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

At the risk that McLoud was merely joking, form all I've read/seen/heard, trying to outdive a P-47/51 in a 109 was definitely a very bad idea.

13. Saddan

Saddan Well-Known Member

P-47 dived better than the 109K, but the P-51 definitely not... (Sustained dives). Actually, P-51B was a good diver, but P-51D wasn´t (Due to the bubble canopy interfering in the air flow of the elevators).

109K was very easy to pull back from a dive, these compressibility problems are a mith. They are the result of pilots using trim to go for a easier dive, and then suddenly discovering that using trim to do this isnt a good idea...

Instantaneous dive 109 is better then all (and this is even more valid for those aircraft using carburators instead of direct injection)... But P-47 catches the 109K after a while... 190D9 dive was marvellous, it had eletrically assisted elevators, so it could really pull hard G to get out of a dive (even going outside aircraft G limits...)

14. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

I wasn't really thinking about Karl, that's a much later version, though I have no idea about the changes made that could affect dive recovery
    there's this great finnish site with pilots interviews and there's plenty of "hard to pull out" stories there

15. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

with that fat Mk108 cock up sum1's ass of course it is hard to pull out

1 person likes this.
  16. Helrza

Helrza Well-Known Member

lmfaorofl

17. Saddan

Saddan Well-Known Member

At 58kg this gun weight is immaterial relative to the engine weight itself...

MK108

18. Fucketeer

Fucketeer Banned

It's still anally significant.

19. Saddan

Saddan Well-Known Member

Me 109 G-2/G-6:
    "The Russkies never followed to a dive. Their max dive speeds were too low, I suppose. It was the same in the Continuation War, their La-5's and Yak-9's turned quickly back up. "
    - How heavy did the Me controls get at different speeds?
    "It got heavy, but you could use the flettner. It was nothing special, but a big help.
    Once in '43, there was a Boston III above the Gulf of Finland. I went after it, and we went to clouds at 500 meters. Climbing, climbing, climbing and climbing, all the way to seven kilometers, and it was just more and more clouds. It got so dark that I lost sight. I turned back down, and saw the Russkie diving too. Speed climbed to 700 km/h. I wondered how it'd turn out. I pulled with all my strength when emerging from the clouds, then used the flettner. I was 50 meters above sea when I got it to straighten out. I was all sweaty. At that time the Me's were new to us."
    - Did the roll capabilites change?
    "Not so much. It got stiffer, but you still could bank."
    - Were you still in full control at high speeds, like at 600-700 km/h?
    "Yes. "
    - Mauno Fräntilä, Finnish fighter ace. 5 1/2 victories. Source: Interview by Finnish Virtual Pilots Association: Chief Warrant Officer Mauno Fräntilä.

20. Saddan

Saddan Well-Known Member

And remmeber that 109K got elevators revised...

109 Myths