23,000 dead...

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by -afi--, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

Sarcasticly when 2.000.000 ppl get killed in africa the UN does nothing and there's no news flash.But when few thousand rich europeans who flee xmas for cheap sex to thailand etc. die the media is on it for days.If there weren't so many europeans ,we might not even heard about this. :p We live normal days in our unstable planet...but I got a hole in my sock!!!

btw.I found some incredible footage of hand-cams with dc++ ..just searched for 'tsunami' ..huh much worse looking thingy than in news...

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  2. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

It's been over 50 years since one of those events. 100,000 people dying in one natural disaster is a huge deal, especially when apparently the quake that caused it made the days about 3 miliseconds shorter! Saying it's because a bunch of Europeans died and this is the cause of media coverage is outrageous.

And Squirl, yes, all natural disasters are awful and there have been worse. Does that make it wrong to talk about the most recent one as being horrible or do you just like to play devil's advocate?

3. squirl

squirl Well-Known Member

Afi, my role of not playing the devil's advocate is made much more difficult by people who insist that I am doing so.

It seems that putting words in my mouth is the only way to get me to "say" something outrageous.

Please do not turn this into a personal/political argument. That is the last thing this thread needs. One day people are offering their condolences and plans of fundraising for the victims. The next day people are hinting that the US Government can unleash an earthquake anywhere in the world.

This is a thread for the contemplation of this disaster!

Personally, I do not like the manner in which the US media is approaching this. They cover all the Sports Illustrated models and American executives who made it out alive while the real story is about those who are still over there, whether they are fortunate to have their lives or have tragically fallen to this disaster.

Hopefully the world will provide ample resources to rebuild this region of the world and expect nothing in return.

4. Kutya

Kutya Banned

Happy New Year!

5. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to make a personal vendetta or anything at all, it just seems that the way you approached your first post was very condescending upon those that had died in this disaster, as if to make their tragedy less horrific.

That was just how I saw it, no offense of any kind meant. End of this story.

Apparently the US Gov't is doing 350 million dollars in aid as of today. I'm wondering how much this disaster will cost overall. Of course the lives of thousands cannot be measured through money, but the general loss.

6. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    Yesterday, I started reading in the forum. I cam to the above post and I stopped reading at "...she had to let go one of her boys to save the other...."
    I couldn't read anymore of it.
    Today I came back and read some guy's reply and noticed him saying that both boys survived.

I heard on the radio, some guy in Madras was looking at the body of a boy and he was crying out:
    "My son, my king!"

Jesus.
    Then again, God.
    Then again, where IS HE?

Not here, not on this earth, not in this life.

7. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

I think earth is fucked up badly by all those nukes/bio/chemical experiments. Mankind will learn... eventualy but I'm afraid it will be to late... think polution, ozone holes, reinforests... first... now we have new surpirse for us earthquakes...
    I feel sorry for all those poor-ones down there.
    :rose:

8. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

Letting your own children die to save another...ugh, too awful... simply awful...

Must have been the most heart-tearing decision that person ever will make, and I gaurantee it'll haunt them forever.

9. sebbo

sebbo Well-Known Member

[sarcasm] Don't worry Biles, it's all part of God/Jhwh/Allah/Vishnu/Bob's ineffible plan. He/She/It works in mysterious ways[/sarcasm]

Un-fucking-believable.

10. vojtas

vojtas Well-Known Member

Not only that , i've heard the quake caused that Sumatra has moved 30 meters from it's original position :eek:

11. big-jo

big-jo Well-Known Member

30meters????

each year the straits of Gibraltar diminishes 1 mm, and it s a lot, but 30 meters in 1 day!!!!!

12. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    Kinda illistrates the here/now power of a quake, to move a part of the planet 30 meters and zap the well-being of tens of millions of people in a heartbeat.

I saw in the news paper here a satellite photo of a nice resort town. I saw the same town after the tsunami. It looked like Stalingrad.

DID YOU DONATE SOME CASH TO THE RED CROSS OR SALVATION ARMY?
    Even a dollar/zloty/ruble/pound/franc/mark helps.

13. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

I go to Salvation Army constantly, my funds are going to them.

14. Airway

Airway Well-Known Member

what is impressive is that the small countries japan and germany spend 500 million $ each !

inbetween 3-5 years this and other funds should rebuild the area - numbers hard to believe.

and me with my little euros i spent--- :(

15. manoce

manoce Well-Known Member

im sad
    and angry

about the shit im reading in newspapers about the catastrophe

the main NEWS of the DAY is that 1 (in words one) czech woman HAS DIED there. One. And 16 are missing.
    oh yes and about half million dead hindus

i dont give a fuck about some rich czech tourists who went in january to the thailand for sea or cheap sex; they could be honest and they could deserve respect... maybe.. probably they were just low fat pigs, who earned their fortune in frauds.. most probably.. but what the fuck
    they mean to me the same as hindu or indonesian or thai ppl
    but not for czech newspapers

the other thing that made me feel sick and angry and ashamed is that there was this public collection of money via sms - for aid for countries that were hit by the disaster
    and the largest cell phone operator charged these sms with the fee; moreover the state charged it with AVT
    alltogether that means that 30%(sic!) of the donated money didnt make it over the bare transfer from the donators to the account (the state promised to return the tax tho.. eventually, still 10% goes to those capitalistic swines called T-mobile)

it all sucks

it sucks since 1989

not that it was better before

everything for money, everything for some people who really wants to wring money out of other people; isnt it insane?
    and the people are getting stupid; it was disillusement of theirs, but now it shifted into accepting the situation and the raw capitalistic ways, into consuming what is served them without bit of thinking; american thinking on the victory march (no offense to americans, i guess its clear what i mean, its originally europe who is guilty for this materialistic shit)
    one can see it in media.. even in fucking weather forecast; im not kidding.. they lie just for better profits

fuck them all

16. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

The toll might be jumping to 300,000... fuck...

17. sebbo

sebbo Well-Known Member

THREE-HUNDRED-FUCKING-THOUSAND DEAD?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

18. manoce

manoce Well-Known Member

surprised..hm
    multiply it by 2; even "final" numbers will not count people without id

19. ozemale6t9

ozemale6t9 Well-Known Member

I heard on the news tonight that our government has promised $1,000,000,000AU to the Indonesia, to rebuild Aceh and help it's people. Thats $500,000,000 no strings, and $500,000,000 as an interest free loan to be repaid within 40 years.

I must admit that I am a little reserved however, as there are no conditions as to how the money is spent. It is totally at Indonesia's discretion. Let's hope they use it for helping their people recover from this tragedy. I also think it sucks that it is specifically for Indonesia, but that is another story.

regards, Oz

20. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

Yeah, shits in my newspaper this morning...