4km limitation is it good or not?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by vladwb, Dec 6, 2010.

1. vladwb

vladwb Well-Known Member

My opinion it is not good. If airplane has altitude more than 4000m it is not marked on radar. thats why to find bombers not easy. May be set radar hight 10000 for example. What is you opinion?

2. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

My opinion is that there shouldn't be any altitude restriction at all. Sure, you should be able to underfly RADAR coverage, but OVERFLY it?? Nah!

3. vladwb

vladwb Well-Known Member

absolutely agree

4. bandeirante

bandeirante Well-Known Member

I think 4km is good, otherwise pilots will not go on bombers.

5. vladwb

vladwb Well-Known Member

2:1 :))))

6. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Bomber formations as was done in tabahost, say, five bombers, ten, something like that. And in those formations otto that are not meth tweeking dear hunters...
    Evading rader by flying over it is pretty hard to explain to my two friends I tried to recruit. When they discovered that, they BOTH stopped immediately trying to
    1) learn enough in offline mode in order to progress to online mode while
    2) figuring out how to get fhlauncher working and then, later, to....
    2) make it work in win 7
    I still had not blurted about the dogfighting LI2s and JU52s.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  7. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Problem is that in real WW2 air war almost everyone knew where the bombers were.

If not radar there were observers.

Now is this good for game play?

We've tried it with the 4km limit.

Let's try it with no limit and see what happens.

8. Red Ant

Maybe we can have spotty RADAR coverage, with occasional false returns and stuff. In WW2, RADAR wasn't exactly 100% reliable ... hell, it still isn't today.

9. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Man, the 4KM limit is all we poor buff pilots have :help:

At first it seems counter-intuitive, but it's been a feature since v1 of WB, hasn't it? Trying to remember, but think it's always been there. I had hair back then. This is like trying to abolish the institution of marriage, sir! Just kidding ;)

The need for the radar limitation is especially true with low-count rosters: how easy is it to get a three- or four-buff formation going these days? Rhetorical question :) Can be done through squads (e.g., the Ghosts), but otherwise there's not enough incentive, especially for pilots who haven't trained to fly missions together, to organize.

Perhaps they can give us 10KM for each decade of our lives? That'll give me over 4KM, so I'd be OK. Or failing the age thing, at least increase the climb rate of the JU-88 :)

10. Red Ant

Ok, then maybe keep the 4km RADAR ceiling, but enable it for BUFFs only. (Or is it that way already?)

11. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

BTW, has anyone yet tried using FH from XP within VMWare Player? I'd try it but I don't have a legal XP handy.

Special for Biles, recordings of bomber crews in action:

Canadians, Lancaster

Brits in Lancaster

After-mission Ami (Murrow)

12. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

Stop whining about actually having to fly a real deal CAP to HUNT for the fucking bombers. If you actually get a clue and and go patrol a section of the map for buffs, you should have a fair chance of shooting down a couple of them. Besides, you have .field f## command to tell what fields have been damaged by buffs, so you can up and chase them around that way... or you could have been patrolling already like a good fighter pilot and shoot that fucker down a full grid square away from the target base. :lamer: :lamer: :lamer:

13. vladwb

vladwb Well-Known Member

May be better turn off all radars at all?

14. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

When I flew in Air Warrior years ago, the software had programmed into the host message to alert in the radio text buffer when a field was under attack. It was when an opposing aircraft was nearby AND inbound. That would be a good thing to implement.

Another thing you guys should also consider. How accurate was bombing from 4km back in WWII? Precision bombing accuracy like it is in WBFH? Bombing carrier groups? Hmm.... Or was it Torpedoes and Carpet bombing ring a bell? I think radar should show any flying craft as it did back in WWII. :znaika:

15. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Well, in virtualbox it runs, but is jerky. I didn't try the fhlauncher this time around. I remember I couldn't make the fhlauncher work in my Other Life. I don't remember what went wrong, it was back, before I had my brain strokes......
    :shuffle:
    I don't learn things too well now-a-days, so I am not gonna fart around with trying to fix something that ain't busted. WBFH works in win7 so I haven't need to try to make it work, when it already does, becuase I made it work this time, when it didn't used to and my brain overheated several times, like Mac's brain has recently.....

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  16. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

Yeah, but then how many sorties of buff missions will it take to close a field? Salvo commands are disabled as it is (with exception for 262 rox IIRC). Would this mean we get to set a delay and end up dropping the entire load, or would this mean that there aren't any settings and we end up dropping whatever? If so, can we get a tonnage on target option for closing a field? If that happens, will there be a sortie requirement like 3x average maximum loadout for heavy bomber flights close a small, 8x for medium, 12x for large or something? If that's the case, how do we make it not suck for the early war, prevent exploitation (e.g. keep 3 x Ju87 from closing a field with tonnage on target. Dive bomber should be forced to use accuracy over carpet bombing.), and be fair enough for both countries?

17. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Well ... In that "other" online game AH, Buff players control three planes at a time. If the lead plane gets shot down, the game auto selects one of the other planes and player flies that one, taking the lead ship.

Maybe that can be done here? Yes, all the other planes' bombs drop on the leader's drop. Makes a nice big mess on the ground.

sometimes even on the target !

18. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

already planned. i inspired tabahost and we will implement it here asap.
    btw: it's not mine idea. first implementation for fh was made by zibn.

1)land is quite conditional in wb world. no frontlines at all. therefore stuka and il2 are not required.
    due to this conditional situation air2surf relations are also conditional, including paratroops from cv.
    as well as level bombing
    2)removing precision bombing is possible via franz's idea of tonnage per target: i.e. N*medium bombers can unload into field in general and it will be closed. under consideration.
    3)ship should evade bomb runs. inspired tabahost. already in 2do list.
    4)what is "any craft"? refer redut or ames1 or freya specifications pls.

19. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

wb engine cannot teleport player to other craft pilot's seat.
    at tabahost franz made leader invincible while wingmen exist.
    in 2do here.

20. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

I'm not a buff pilot but, those sound like good ideas. Just stirring the pot so to speak here. :p