a Sturmovik thing

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by graatz, Nov 25, 2005.

1. graatz

graatz Well-Known Member

Jist a thought - I suppose many of us play the sturmovik thing online. I also suppose [deleted]. What i have thought of - could we, the FH-ers make a killer-squadron (or two, or a wing?) on some il2 server? I don't mean a migration to the Sturm (i really prefer 1:1 defeat here than 1:5 victory there), i am only thinking of a scenario-something thing. Just a thought. You guys have your favourite servers?

2. big-jo

big-jo Well-Known Member

i ve played little, but always in two server, the most realistics, "war of clouds" and "spits vs 109s"

3. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

With the cheaters here I will probably switch to IL2 pernamently some day...
    as for the servers- max realism is a minimum for me to join... mb the speedbar and short (450m max) icons, but rest - "off"

4. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

I'm sure you'll find as many 'cheaters' in Il-2.
    Vaya con dios

1 person likes this.
  5. Snakeye

Snakeye Well-Known Member

I seldom go into DF servers. I always prefered coop-based games - pure coops or online wars (we've had a Polish dead-is-dead campaign, but we've taken a break during 2nd edition, mb we'll have it running again near x-mas...)

6. Airway

Airway Well-Known Member

there a quite a lot of dogfighting arenas open that are interesting

and if they are run with the FB daemon it is really not boring.
    there are tasks to fulfill. who kills all ground targets or enemy planes or pilots first will win and that leads to a map change.

pretty cool.

my favourite, because well known, server is sturmovik.de http://by.sturmovik.de/index.php?target=stats&lang=EN&s=missions .
    regulary it runs 36 dogfighting maps in a rotation !!

some times there are also events in wich 2 sides fight agains each other until the time is over.
    after that, some weeks later is the back event in wich the players switch side to give a revenge.
    http://by.sturmovik.de/index.php?lang=EN

lets test if we can run a freehostler fight on sturmovik
    thereґs a mission, map and player statistic too

thereґs a russian team also with that we play, called "ROSS"

Greetings
    Airway

1 person likes this.
  7. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

I play using the hyperlobby.

http://hyperfighter.sk/

Generally go for the co-op missions or whatever server seems good, can't play full relaism though cos I never see any opponents till I'm dead.

Mal

8. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Definitely with the speedbar! I can't do without it. In some planes you cant see your altitude and speed gauges unless you do some virtual head shifting ... which SUCKS!

9. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I played IL2 2 times. Never liked it. I prefer addictive but old game (even full of cheaters :rolleyes: ), than a good graphic game, but not at all addictive for me. Good luck if you go there

10. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

I hated it at first but after playing it a number of times and working out the realism levels I quite enjoy it, from UA dogfighting maps with nocockpit to almost full realism co-op maps theres alot fo variety in it.

Mal

11. Airway

Airway Well-Known Member

for that reason i use a headtracker. TrackIR.
    Pretty cool and easy to use.

12. Snakeye

Snakeye Well-Known Member

I don't have problems with dials. I'm playing in 1152x864 and, even thou I sometimes can't read out exact values in zoomed-out view, after a few flights I know how fast I'm going. In fact the only time I check my speed is when I'm landing, and my alt is when I'm supposed to switch blower ;)
    Compass reading was always a pain in the ass, as in many planes it's obscured no matter from which angle you look at it, but since some time it's always visible even if speedbar is disabled.
    I have no problems in flying in full real servers, but I like it when some short-distance icons are available.

13. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    I want to get one of those IR Head Tracker things. After Christmas.
    200+ Dollars [Canadian] is a little steep for me.
    Having to scroll just to look at instruments, I think, is FUCKING RIDICULOUS.
    I can't find IL-2 in stores anymore and the copy I bought last year was stolen by a corrupt room mate. I won't ask anyone for a link to bootleg it, because that Russian guy who made the game deserves to make his $.02 royalty on each copy that HUGE Yankee Company sells.
    I did see a copy of IL-2 Pacific Fighters Plane Wars Thingie.
    It was 60 bucks. Sittin next to it was [the very first time I have seen it as ANYTHING but "Purchase IT ONLINE NOW!"] x-plane. And it was 60 bucks also. So, instead I bought "Call Of Duty 2."
    Next payday I get X-Plane and after that, I prolly won't have to get a flight sim for a year, ANY kind of flight sim.

PS, I have read some pretty scathing reviews about IL-2 the Pacific Fighter Planes In The Pacific Ocean War thingie....

Maybe after christmas, Forgotten Battles will be discounted in bins at Wal Mart [meaning, Wal Mart found a version of IL-2 made in China]

14. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

I got FB from a store in Glasgow for £6 (about $10). But you definitely need the add-ons as well, as the servers available for those who only have FB are crap.

15. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Yeah but why?? :confused: I don't get it! Why do so many people have such a contemptuous outlook on Il-2FB? IMO it's a great game. Sure, there's probably a lot of things that can be done better but from my experience it's a REALLY fun game and certainly worth its money.

16. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    Pacific fighters reviews, that is. Scathing, that is.
    I used to have the first IL-2 and, after patching, it was pretty good.
    Spins left a lot to be desired, but I am very much aware that
    1) spins are hard to model on anything but first class processors AND first class software coding
    and
    2) pilots avoided spinning, so they paid attention to the warning signs which aren't always apparent in a sim and
    and
    and
    um
    So, often, a programmer or marketer decides [for better or worse] to 'dumb down' the spin modelling to
    2a)make the game easier to play
    2b)acknowlege that fuckin pilots ain't spinning the things anyway, if they can help it. sort of like a simulation of a ww2 tank that WON'T burn it's clutch out when you are trying to take a grade the tank couldn't in r/l.....

Anyway, I never minded the stall behavior in Il-2.
    For that matter, I didn't mind the stall behavior in previous versions of WBFH.... [I hate them at present, it is a drag having my Chaika flip into an unrecoverable stall and have NO WARNING... come on.....]

17. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

Probably because it's a hard game unless you've played Flight simms before.

Reviewers probably went into a full realism server and based reviews on that.

Mal

18. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

If your boxed X-Plane is 8.00, you'll want to download the update to 8.20 before you try & fly too much. 8.00 has some bad terrain problems. The update is about 530mb, but their server is swift enough to get it to you as fast as you can accept it