Add your comments on new gunnery

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by illo, May 28, 2000.

1. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

Im bit puzzled. Today i learned new way of fighting(109f.) I have to close up con to
    d0.5 and aim his cockpit then get 20 round (mg151/20)burst into cockpit area and there is hi probability that i get pk.(i know that WB counts 1 hit as 2 rounds)

I have seen useless to fight p39s those take
    100% of my ammo without any major damage. Spits and Hurris can be killed with 3 sec continuous bursts which are very rare to get
    (spit and hurri starts to maneuver)Now its impossible to get suprise kills.

In ww2 germans tested effectiviness of their cannons to captured p51s. MG 151/20 averages
    3-4 hits to make stang unflyable. And german 30mm cannons killed mustang with 1-2 round
    depending if gun was mk103-mk108. one 20mm mine shell(MG151) made 1/2 meter hole if good hit in fuselage. MK103 even teared 2 metres of p51 tail off with 1 shot.

I must say that current model doesnt seem very realistic when 15 hits(30 rounds)MG151
    doesnt kill a spitV from d2. Think about spit with 30 1/2m holes in it. hehe..it would be one hole. But in FH it still keeps flying and fighting...oh maybe loses its elevator after 2 mins when youre out of ammo and dead [​IMG]

Please add your feelings and experiences about current MG151/damage modell.

(btw. HA icons back!!!)

out

------------------
    -illo-

2. Boroda

Boroda FH Community Officer

Aike reworked all gunnery completely, using Russian military data. The trick is to hit vital parts like pilot( [​IMG] ) or fuel tanks.

Do you use ".gunstat" to see what you hit?

------------------
    --
    With respect,
    Pavel Pavlov,
    wb:boroda
    Commissar 25th IAP VVS

3. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

Yup i did. Today it seems much better.

Btw. how you model damage caused by german mine shells? It is designed to do large holes in airframe so simple vital part modelling doesnt work. For example you should be able to blow fighter plane in half with one 30mm hit. Now i guess it will only cause dead engine or fuel leak.

Has aike kept in mind what types of ammunition was used in russian tests? Or is it only rounds mass and velocity which is counted in those tests.

just some thinking....