Airshow, formation flying....

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Herz, May 22, 2002.

1. Herz

Herz Well-Known Member

Im proud to announce the creation of the 1 brazilian acrobatic team in WB.
    "The Brazilian Falcons" demonstration team is the a group formed by pilots from the squadron VF1 Falcões Marinha do Brasil. We started working in individual acrobatic sequence and acrobatic formation flying.

I think its a very challenging way of flying and its interesting to try and i would like to know who else here is interested in this kind of stuff like acrobatics and formation flying in WB.
    If more pilots are interested we could form more teams and organize some airshows at the training arena in the future.

Last night me and -bola were practicing some maneuvers in formation and smoke on and it was beautiful and we got really excited. We r working on a sequence but will need alot of training before we show off ourselves :D

:mafia:

Last edited: May 23, 2002
  2. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

For that kind of stuff it would be useful if collisions could be enabled for ALL planes, not just friendlies vs. hostiles. Anyway, good idea. :)

3. Snakeye

Snakeye Well-Known Member

Enabling collis (putting aside that it's impossible ;)) would be too much, as airplanes flying close to each other can be too close for this warpy environment...

Anyways, I did some aerobatics in WB with a friend :)
    Once we managed to draw a nice heart, but the person who was to take screenshot didn't catch that :lamer:
    We did some formation flying too, but it required good communication - we used regular phone LOL
    We tried it only once, phone calls cost too much in Poland :D

When do Brasilian Falcons practice ? ;)

4. cross-

cross- Member

Airshow Film

Herz,

Have someone capture your airshow on GunCam, and then post it.

I would download it.

5. Herz

Herz Well-Known Member

We just started the acrobatic team and practices. Actualy we are 2 pilots and we plan to have 3 and a max of 4.
    We gonna get filmed by another squad member from his hmack at a small field since is where we pratice and give us enouth referencial points for the maneuvers.

As soon as we get some good stuff i will surely post here.

:joystick:

Last edited: May 23, 2002
  6. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

not acrobatic?

7. Herz

Herz Well-Known Member

Both aerobatic and acrobatic works as well.
    But i think aerobatic suits better if we r talking about aircrafts. And acrobatic is the crazy stuntman at the circus.... etc..

8. -nicae-

9. Perdomo

Perdomo Well-Known Member

@ Nicaee: lol, Herz has to teach you how to use the "linguae"? :D Looking at your avatar I guessed u should know by now.... :p

10. Perdomo

Btw: any spanish pilot interested in re-creating the "Patrulla Ascua" (spanish 50's aerobatic team)?? please contact me at esc2demayo@hotmail.com

11. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

OT, Herz, i see u really have an identity crisis. Why u still say u have 4 different nicks, and i can only see three? ;)
    Maybe i can't count? :dunno:
    Maybe -herz- has become the invisible man? ;)
    Maybe you're trying that everyone in here has an identity crisis too? :dura:

C Ya :D

12. -nicae-

its not everyday that i need to use "aerobatic" ;)

13. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

Maybe we could have an FH display team? Showing off their capabilities during an Airshow (just the arena that is used for that for a sec)

just a crazy idea

Zembla Airlines Catering Ltd. can foresee you in your needs :D

greetz, Zembla

14. Perdomo

"linguae" means language in latin, but also means "tongue" :D , it was just a bad joke on your avatar, nothing about "aerobatics" (I didn't know that word even existed.... :p ), I explain that coz your reply :
    "its not everyday that i need to use "aerobatic" " has left me completely lost :confused: :shuffle: . LOL

15. Snakeye

Snakeye Well-Known Member

Last year on Radom Air Show I've seen Frecce Tricolori team (it's italian, AFAIR, and I hope I didn't misspell the name...). They were flying some Macci's to the music of "Vincero" performed by Pavarotti.
    It was the best aerobatics show I've ever seen !
    People were astonished, looking at their final show, watching as slowly, majestically moving planes passed by them and performed fine piece of aerobatics...
    It was great ! :eek: :eek: :eek: :@prayer:

The music was actually louder then jets (or it seemed like that), so the immersion was great indeed :super:

I wish I had a video camera with me...

16. -nicae-

aha!
    thanks for another compliment on my avatar.. people just seem to love it :dura:

17. Perdomo

Cc, it's quite funny ;)

18. -fla--

-fla-- Well-Known Member

Herz, vcs tão treinando em q horário ? de repente eu posso me juntar a vcs :)

19. Herz

Herz Well-Known Member

opa fla naum temos horário certo mas treinamos quando damos um tempo da arena 1 vamos pra training e voamos.
    Estamos treinando 2 a 2 primeiro pra afira o voo em formação depois vamos juntar todos.

Aparece lá quando tiver eu o bola e truckk na training :)

20. doggun

doggun Well-Known Member

I love the idea in principle but ...

@ Herz

As much as I like the idea of close formation flying in WB, I do have to warn you. The preparatory work is immense and the chances of success are little.

The main reason for the low successrate is the NETLAG in WB
    (read Hoof English: http://www.rdrop.com/users/hoofj/netlag.htm or a good translation of Hoof´s HP in German by Jochen Knoop: http://home.t-online.de/home/jochen.knoop/tf/divers/wbnetlag.htm ).
    This netlag is causing the little jumps, ups/downs, forwards/backwards, which make it really very difficult to maintain a reasonable wingman position in close formation. Erratic stick movements by the leader make things even worse.

However, if you are going to try anyhow - I guess you certainly will -, here is some advice from a real life Formation Team Leader, with experience both on propeller driven and on jet aircraft.

• - The basic aerobatic experience of the teamleader is paramount. He should learn/train himself to fly the aerobatic manoeuvers with no more than 90% of power in order to give his later team mates a break to maintain their position. Just try and do that flying as smooth as possible finding out about the proper airspeeds and minimum altitudes required for the different manoeuvers (hard turn, loop, barelroll as starters), without falling out of a manoeuver.
      - The proper reference lines and/or points have to be found out and established for the various types of aircraft to look good in a formation (positions for fingertip and box as basics). These points have to be kept by the fellow pilots within every manoeuver the leader is going to initiate. You will find certain aircraft types better suited for the task than others. Start with the most easy ones.
      - A voice contact (RogerWilco or other) among the formation members is unequivocally a basic requirement. Nobody in this flying world is able to fly in close formation (I am not talking of rather loose buff formations in autopilot) and type into the textbuffer simultaneously.
      - Try to establish a fixed view for the left and right wingmen in their keyboard view settings. They will be close to unable to play around with their numpad view keys during flight, they will have to have their hands on stick and throttle only.
      - Start with a team of four pilots, not more, or you will increase your initial problems to an unsurmountable height.

If you have any questions be sure to mail or post them. Remember, there are no dumb questions, there are only silly or unqualified answers. :deal: