Basic WB strategy thread

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Higgns, Oct 15, 2010.

1. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

That's some good BBQ!

2. boa

boa Well-Known Member

Biber is making good players:alc:

3. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Yep, I remember the squad missions I participated in and it was lots of fun and action. Numbers of players may never be what they were unless everyone gets nostalgic and comes back for a visit to see the new 1.68 version release. Most everyone has left for the most common reason....old game, old design. New simulators taking new interest.

4. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it died because of attitudes from up top, and a few players' attitudes as well (I've had a few things to do with it, but I'm working on it :shuffle:). Yes, it's all well and good that sims have advanced and are now more capable, but we had a good thing going here in spite of aces high, IL-2, newer versions of warbirds, and whatever else is out there. IMHO, this I'm playing IL-2 because it has better graphics or whatever is just a nice way to take an out because of the attitudes around here. It's the one error of the game that no admin can edit code for. Whatever reason that people in this game have a FU attitude isn't going to go away anytime soon either, as long as people keep flaming each other on the forum/in the game. I think a lot of this has to do with frustration caused by previous administrations due to abuse of power.

The way I see it now is just keeping more of the same because progress is so difficult to see. What I would like to suggest is better communication between admins and players in the international forums, at least drop a note or two every now and again to tell the players there what it is the admins are doing. At the rate this is going, I would like to at least see a thread/post from admins anywhere on the forums to indicate what progress is occurring since 1.68 beta release. Start with what we know is screwed up, progress on the SM.79. Trivial? Yes, but at least we know something is being done instead of having to guess that nobody cares.

Another thing that gives me the admins don't give a fuck feeling is that every time someone even hints towards an error in a model of some kind that people in that thread are given a run around. This is very offensive IMHO. For example, the P-38 thread has volumes and volumes of information, and it has information about the current model there pertinent to the error that is the most obvious with the historical data beside it to compare/contrast the error. Then we get a message from an admin that says they do not see the problem. This, by far, has the most cause for creating a mass exodus IMO.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not, but that's my theory and I refuse to alter it.

5. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Mumble, I would agree on what you said above and will add a few things.

Few things I'd like to hear about from the WBFH staff concerning the below items.

1. Would be nice if a change is made, that it be posted to the 168 beta topic. No matter how small a change, it's a change and keeps us interested.

2. In the main arena, I would support a measure where an administrator/moderator who is in the arena or forum can use good and fair judgment to squelch/police some trouble makers and mouthy people. I rarely ever see an administrator or moderator there that can answer some questions or make some people shut up who won't quit berating, belittling, insulting, etc others in the game. I know it's free but, there has to be limits to some things. We CANNOT have people come in there and get annoyed and leave just because of some idiot who wont shut up. Don't take this the wrong way guys but, I know who you are that do this, and you DO NOT have any right whatsoever to carry on like that. It's a game, it's a game, it's a game, and we are here to have fun, and yelling/arguing is not fun (for the rest of us).

3. In reference to above, would be nice to have those who cause un-called for verbal trouble to be muted, not allowed to chat in forum or arena where necessary, not necessarily both. They can still read forum topics or log into arenas to fly, but no communication.

6. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

One quick point. Yes, there is the .squelch command. I can ignore those people. But when it happens every time you log on, and I start to have the need to edit my scripts (e.g. the things that make the Hi all appear in ch100 when you log on) with .squelch <list of names here>, it becomes a nuisance and a terrible propaganda machine that needs to go away.

Again, this sort of behavior occurs for a reason. Yes, there are a few that will never be satisfied, but we've all been hosed in the past and this encourages flamers and others in FH to allow the flamers to feel justified.

All that I feel is necessary is that someone, somewhere, post what progress is being made, and follow through with this. Instead of giving us random postings of performance of plane X was changed, try giving us as much detail as you demand of us when we report errors in models. Give us a reason for making seemingly random changes in a model, too.

7. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Hahah...thought I was the only one that did that. :p Haven't had to in a while but, thinking it may be necessary again.

By muting them? Back in Air Warrior days I remember they had two features of restriction. If you were having problems with a certain person who was being a problem, such as warping on demand, cursing/swearing, insulting, arguing, etc. you could PAGE a staff member whom would then enter the arena and it would go from there. Many times these abusers would get banned for a month at a time but, not without warnings. Wouldn't it be nice if we had that "PAGE TRAINER" feature working here! The other feature was, if you shot down a fellow countryman, you were restricted to only C47/troops/re-supply duty. (re-supply duty was where you could take off from a field with a C47 loaded with supplies to repair a field. You loaded engineers/fuel/ammo, and landed at the field which needed those items when related field targets were destroyed)

That is a great idea. I hope the developers tune into this. :cheers:

Another note: I wouldn't mind the opportunity to be a type of monitor for the arena. I'm there quite often and anyone else who is interested in that task should try for it too. Not to say I'm a perfect level-headed person but, we should have more participation in the arena. Us common users feel "alone" in a sense.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  8. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

9. Higgns

Higgns Well-Known Member

OK more quick strategy tips.....

FIELD TAKING STRATEGY

1. If none of your teammates is bombing a field and you hear bombs exploding.....then it is one of your fields that is being attacked.

Check around and you will probably find the field and can possibly defend it.

2. Size does matter, use bombs 1000 pound (500kg) or bigger to hit larger targets such as a hanger.

Beware trying to bomb multiple targets with one bomb such as the multiple fuel targets (often near ammo) and radio hut/mast because even a 1600 pound bomb can sometimes fail to down two fuels/one ammo or the 4 fuels found at large field.

If you want to close a small field, best to bring at least one 2000 pound (1000kg) bomb and drop it between the hanger and radio mast/hut.....even then you may get a bad time on mast or hut simply because one is shielding the other from the blast if they happen to be lined up.

If you approach the small field such that the mast/hut are first before the hanger, you can bomb (1000lb/500kg) shortly before and slightly off to the side of them and you should down them without downing the hanger and then use another 500kg to hit the hanger and you should end up with all 3 going down for 2000 seconds........not always....sometimes hanger is taken out too by first bomb and you end up with short time on it.

If you bomb all targets down to same times, it will make field very hard for the enemy to recapture it.

If you do end up having one target go short time and still have much of the field up, you might want to consider not finishing the field and come back later when short time item has re-upped......sometimes the enemy won't take it serious when they find only a couple of targets down and one being short time.

Don't bomb the economy, this stretches the times greatly and increases the difference between shorter closed targets and properly closed targets.........do you really want to give the enemy 3600 seconds to bomb the single target you bombed short time or spend that same 3600 seconds defending the field after it opens knowing the enemy will send a fighter with one bomb speed into the target.

3. Trooping a field........
    Make arrangements for a troop plane before the field is closed because even a surprise closure will still cause the troop plane to lose the race to the field against an enemy fighter upped from another field....even one far away.

If time is long, don't fly straight to the field from the nearest and most obvious field.......all you're doing is feeding enemy fighter score.

Flying far away around the field and approaching from a side nowhere near any of your own fields is a great way to capture the field while the enemy is looking for you on the most obvious route.

Use commandos and mines whenever possible if times are questionable.

Field capture goes hand in hand with proper field closure.......don't get roped into trying to cap a field that someone has not closed properly because you either won't successfully capture it or the enemy will take it back minutes later with a single bomb or rocket.

A COUPLE FIGHTER TIPS

Altitude is your best friend.

It is like a savings account of energy and you can easily convert altitude into speed.

more later.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  10. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

if you have 3600s (or more, 5000, 9000...etc), you can easily cap next 5-6 fields, so... bombing the economy is the great strategic turn, the other thing is that it will be boring for the enemies and you'll be prolly alone in MA soon :cool:

11. noisul2008

noisul2008 Banned

it looks more like TACTICS. :dark:

(btw, all that Higgns mentioned above looks more like tactics as well.
    The Strategy is out there! ) :deal:

12. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

words...

13. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

random=whatsnew.txt ?!

ok. currently we are modelling:

sukhoi su-2 light bomber (b5n/tbf class), 16*25kg, 12*50kg, 6*100kg, 4*100kg+10*rs132, 2*250kg+4*50kg, date spring 1941. probably march.
    sources: khazanov+gordyukov "su-2 short range bomber" (хазанов, гордюков, су-2, ближний бомбардировщик)

mitsubishi ki-67-ib late war bomber (1250kg), 10*100kg, 2*250kg+15*50kg, 4*250+5*50kg, 5*250kg, 1*500kg+2*250kg, 2*500kg+5*50kg, 1*torpedo. date july 1944
    sources: famous air planes of the world #50(jun'76), #98(), #156 (july'86); richard bueschel ki-67 hiryu (isbn 0-7643-0350-3)
    will use graphics of g4m without modifications to simplify fh-production

macchi c.200 fighter. 2*12.7mm. 2*100kg.
    sources: maurizo di tirlizzi mc.200 (isbn 88-86815-70-0), ali d'italia #8, probably could add przemyslaw kajetan musialkowski "samolot mysliwski mc.200"

also, i suggest to fas to rework tiffie/tempest according to spitfireperformance.com in 1.682.

besides, he fixed maxload takeoff troubles of db-3f, afaik.

on the server side we are almost ready to count extra (after capture) paratroopers for shortening reup time as well as scoring for extra paras.

reacapture will be made harder because acks will reup systematically faster

command .pos is changed to wb-pad format, similar to tabahost.

fixed bug with scoring for second captured field in one sortie

some anti-cheating added

14. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

aaaah, i love u! :D

15. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

Rework performance with respect to what? Speed? Maneuverability? Climb rate? All?

Ack reup faster as in they close for shorter times?

Anti-cheating? What does this seek to defeat?

16. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

quess
    "all" :D

reup time recalculated after capture

cheating! ;)

17. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Ki-84 disabled? :D

18. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

what is wrong with hayate? i dont like japs, so...

19. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Oh you know, nothing much .... I mean except for the fact that it's a least 20 mph faster than it was in actual Japanese service (no, the oft quoted 420 mph are NOT representative of that plane's performance under war time conditions, using Japanese fuel). :)

20. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

do you have the usaaf data? i just heard about that, but never saw and what i know, japanese data are not available, so...

the fact is (i have not sharp speedtests yet) that hayate is only a lil bit slower than p51d under 4km, higher is pony much much better, but if it catch you with lower speed, hmmm... only dive is possible :)

in p38j (i dont like L) i always do a dive and then climb and i am ok, lvl speed is imo better (again under 4km) for hayate in this case

and if i met higher or the same alt hayate in p47d... i am dead, only dive is possible, but if he rly want to kill me, he can...

BUT! :D
    i am sure that the biggest ufo in MA is now Tempest ... and every plane with Jetmumy :mafia: